Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times

Advertisements

We have some friends that are visiting from out of the country - a married couple and their 9 year old daughter. They're in Southeast Connecticut, but not too interested in the beach. Since they're not from the US, English is the second language for all of them, and the 9 year old does not speak much at all.

They've been to Mystic, and I think she's probably too old for the Essex Steam Train.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Pequot Museum is fantastic, though if she can't understand English well it may not be as exciting. During one part you walk through a replica of a native America village but the headphones you use for the tour speak in English. Maybe other languages are available?

Could always drive to Rhode Island and do the Roger Williams zoo. Or go to the submarine force museum in Groton.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:33 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default If they like the Outdoors--

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
We have some friends that are visiting from out of the country - a married couple and their 9 year old daughter. They're in Southeast Connecticut, but not too interested in the beach. Since they're not from the US, English is the second language for all of them, and the 9 year old does not speak much at all.

They've been to Mystic, and I think she's probably too old for the Essex Steam Train.

Any suggestions?
Mini Golf in Old Saybrook, its also right near the historical fortress that was the first settlement. Can go for dinner after at Pizza works at the OS train station.
The Gilette Castle and Ferry; its like the oldest ferry in continuous use (and the tiniest) is the country! Great to go in the morning, hike around then eat a picnic linch.
The Submarine Museum in Groton.
THE BEST is THE BROWNSTONE Quarry--Adventure Park.
Have to get there early, when it opens and stay all day!
In Portland, CT.
Lake Compounce--same get there early.

Last edited by SailCT; 07-25-2016 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: forgot bolding

Old 07-25-2016, 04:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
The Children's Museum in Niantic. Very interactive with lots of things for kids to do.

Dinosaur Place at Nature's Art on RT 85 in Montville/Oakdale.

Abrams Animal Farm on Block Island

Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am not sure why you think the Essex Steam Train is only for young children. I think a 9 year old may like it. Still you might want to ask her.

How about going to see the mansions in Newport? There is also Six Flags in Agawam.

Yankee Candle in Deerfield MA is more than just candles. It has a lot of things to do. The wonderful Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory is nearby. Magic Wings has a conservatory where there are thousands of butterflies flying around you. A 9 year old may like it as may the adults. Jay

Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
What about the Science Center? She's the perfect age and the exhibits are fairly hands on so if English is not her first language it may still hold some appeal.

Otherwise, Lake Compounce maybe?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure why you think the Essex Steam Train is only for young children. I think a 9 year old may like it. Still you might want to ask her.

How about going to see the mansions in Newport? There is also Six Flags in Agawam.

Yankee Candle in Deerfield MA is more than just candles. It has a lot of things to do. The wonderful Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory is nearby. Magic Wings has a conservatory where there are thousands of butterflies flying around you. A 9 year old may like it as may the adults. Jay
Thanks - I forgot about Newport, but I think they went there the last time they were in the US. And, they do offer headphones in Chinese, which is nice.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:28 AM

247 posts, read 231,094 times
Magic Wings and Yankee Candle in South Deerfield are perfect for a 9yo girl! She also may enjoy a paint-your-own pottery place, although, not sure if they will be in town long enough to go back (usually a week) to pick up her finished product.

Forest Park in Springfield has a cute little zoo my daughters always enjoyed. Soarin in Manchester is also a hit with that age.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
PEZ factory & museum tour in Orange ?? https://www.pez.com/visit_us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut