Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 9,818 times

Advertisements

I’m in need of some relocation help!

There is a possibility that my husband will be joining the CT State Police and we will need to move to CT. Our location can actually be somewhat flexible – really depends on where I can find a job (I’m in Marketing/Advertising for a big retail company in MA). It seems most business opportunities are in the Stamford area, but I heard that the area is quite expensive – plus it is so far from the MA border (moving further away from friends/family). The ideal location for me would be Tolland (seems like a great town) – but where do people work? The only jobs in Hartford seem to be in the Insurance/Finance industries. So, I guess my questions are – where are most companies located in CT (where do most people commute to)? What are some good towns around those locations (we don’t have kids yet, looking to not spend more than $450 on house)?

I feel so overwhelmed b/c I don’t know much about CT at all. I’d hate to find a job somewhere that is not in a good area. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
coco24 - Don't be scarred. Connecticut is a great place to live and has a wide range of lifestyle options and locations. There are a lot of different companies in the Hartford or New Haven areas that require marketing. I think you need to look for job listings and see what suits you. I agree that Stamford is very expensive, but you should know that saleries there usually compensate for this somewhat.

Since you do not know where you or your husband will be, you might consider living in central Connecticut to have access to the major metropolitain areas. Living in the Middletown area will allow you easy access to Hartford, New Haven and Waterbury, as well as Fairfield County.

You do not indicate what type of town you would like, if you have children and need a town offering good education or if you want to live in an urban or rural environment. This information will help us help you. Jay

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Jay presents a rather vanilla form of Connecticut- that tends to favor upper class elitist rich towns.

There are many towns that offer diversity-like Manchester, Bristol, Norwalk and New Britain that offer lower costs and a more down to earth attitude then Glastonbury, Avon and West Hartford.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm looking for a town that is safe, good schools (even though I don’t have children yet), has a nice quaint New England feel/charming downtown area. A location that would be good for commuting to many places (I want to have options for career choices and not feel stuck in one area). I would like more of an upscale feel – but not too overpopulated that it feels like a city.
As far as the cities go within CT – how would rank these cities in terms of safest to least safe (Stamford, Hartford, New Haven, Danbury, Bridgeport).

Are there certain areas I should definitely stay away from?

Also, does anyone know of major retail companies that are HQ in CT – or any other Big Companies in the area?

I truly appreciate the help

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Hartford, Bridgeport & New Haven are urban areas within Connecticut that have had major issues for years. Poor schools, urban decay, and a lack or economic growth that can build a better future for its citizens.

New Haven, Hartford and now Bridgeport are making strides to ameliorate the problems they have had- but more works needs to be done.

Stamford is a fine city- as well as Danbury. Their schools may not measure up to the most elitist in the state - but they are more then adequate.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Jay presents a rather vanilla form of Connecticut- that tends to favor upper class elitist rich towns.
Skytrekker - I am not sure why recommending Middletown is "elitist" or how my post presents a "vanilla form of Connecticut". Middletown is a small middle-class city with a wide range of housing options. Hardly considered "upper-class". Jay

Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Skytrekker - I am not sure why recommending Middletown is "elitist" or how my post presents a "vanilla form of Connecticut". Middletown is a small middle-class city with a wide range of housing options. Hardly considered "upper-class". Jay
Sorry

Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Can either of you tell me what big companies are located in CT?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM

There are many big companies. United Technologies, Aetna, Travelers, Phoenix, XLM, The Hartford, ING, Hartford Steam boiler, United Health and Bank of America are in Hartford. Jay

Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM

54 posts, read 372,322 times
Other companies include WWE, ESPN, Sikorsky, in other areas of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut