Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,018 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Mansfield and are looking to hire a home inspector for the house we are buying. I've heard of a couple people but wanted to get the opinions of those that live in the area. I've also heard from some that I should really hire a Licensed Professional Engineer, however that doesn't appear to be a requirement for CT so I'm having a hard time finding many with this certification. Has anyone heard of Hewe Mullan from Criterium-Mullan Engineering, he is a LPE but I can't find any reviews of his work, or Mark Hatheway from Inside Out Home Inspections? Thoughts on the engineering requirement? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Just because someone is a PE it doesn't mean they know squat about home inspections. The PE licensing would have zero effect on my search for a company and I say that as someone who works very close to the engineering field.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
You will only need a licensed PE if the home you are buying has a structural problem. I do not have a suggestion for an inspector though you should be aware of the on-going problems with SOME foundations in eastern Connecticut that used concrete from a particular company. Check out the link below for more information. Jay

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...undations.html

Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 AM

468 posts, read 523,518 times
I want to reiterate JayCT"s warning about the foundation issue- there's a date range of builds that you don't want to buy. There's apparently no way to tell if a foundation of a house built in those years is going to have problems.

That said, assuming your house was built outside the range, you probably don't need an engineer. However, some people prefer to use an independent inspector that doesn't accept referrals from real estate agents. If you want, I can give you the name of someone I used that I was very happy with.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM

260 posts, read 387,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I want to reiterate JayCT"s warning about the foundation issue- there's a date range of builds that you don't want to buy. There's apparently no way to tell if a foundation of a house built in those years is going to have problems.

That said, assuming your house was built outside the range, you probably don't need an engineer. However, some people prefer to use an independent inspector that doesn't accept referrals from real estate agents. If you want, I can give you the name of someone I used that I was very happy with.
That "range" extends from 1983 until 2016. Mottes only agreed to stop providing concrete to residential homes this year. Foundations with pyrrhotite often take 10 or more years to be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: