Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
...because they're just not spectacular.
Ugh Kwicherbichen, they can't be vast open national monuments cause no one thought of it till it was too late , smh, would you raze half of any European country to get a hiking trail.. No it's already developed, and so is CT already developed. It is not that we're too focused on suburbia, it just happened, naturally as part of the first 13 colonies, and all that goes with it, including CT being the birthplace of the American industrial revolution. By the 1700's the Naugutuck River was a home to many businesses, in1803 a man named David Humphreys brought industrial style factories to Chusetown, which was renamed Humphreysville after him, and which is now SEYMOUR Connecticut. New Englanders were a tad busy surviving and thriving as colonists to think you'd want to go hiking nearly 400 years later, sorry that the pioneers colonists and patriots weren't into the Sierra club mentality, cause I dunno, oh yeah-there wasn't a Sierra club until 1892, 259 years after people started settling in CT.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:55 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
We do have 1 national park, Weir Farm National Park. We do have some decent state parks you just have to drive there. A few are: Paugussett State Forest; American Legion and Peoples State Forest; Macedonia Brook State Park; Bear Mountain; Appalachian Trail; Chatfield Hollow State Park; Devil's Hopyard State Park; Kent Falls State Park; Talcott Mountain. Also the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail; ot sure they connect be great if they did. Hopefully someone can clarify that.

Only downside is not sure the CFPA is similiar. I know towns have their own reservation areas and we have the Audubon Society. However, like if CT had something similiar to The Trustees of Reservations.

Though CT water isn't the cleanest and some beaches can easily become croweded in the summer. Beaches like Silver Sands State Park and Bluff Point State Park offer beautiful walks along the water.

Session Woods Wildlife Management Area and White Memorial Conservation Center are awesome outdoor educational areas.

Mohwak Mountain State Park offers beautiful views.

Another thing I feel CT lacks is a closed off bike/running/walking path with big length like the National Seashore has, but a small gripe. They do have the Airline Trail, but if some way to connect it with Middletown. Then from Middletown to the Farmington Canal. Work on making the Famington Canal connect to Hartford and New Haven be awesome. Then maybe they can build that trail from New Haven to Old Saybrook then possibly from Old Saybrook to New London. Connect the Farmington Canal Trail to the Larkin State Park Trail. That would be pretty sweet.

Another gripe is Massachusetts parks bathrooms are 10x cleaner then CT bathrooms for some reason.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-31-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
Long Island Sound is probably our most unique outdoor offering and something a majority of states can't offer.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 PM

319 posts, read 278,976 times
Nep your state had to have had a war. Virginia has lots of federal parks, most are battlefields, but if you want parks you need Va.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure most Americans would disagree with you. CT is simply too small to offer anything similar to those national parks in other states that people actually make a destination out of. People generally don't come to CT for the state parks that we have here, because they're just not spectacular.
Are you considering moving out of state?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Are you considering moving out of state?
No? I just moved here a few months ago...remember? I started a job in Middletown in March. If I do move again, it will be at least 4 years from now.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Every state offers something different, people in Colorado dont have access to the ocean or to big cities full of culture. They do have beautiful mountain ranges. I'm sure you knew going in that CT doesnt have big national parks and likely never will. Thats just not part of CT's geography. It does have several pretty locations. I dont think it deserves a thread being critical about what CT does and doesnt have in terms of its geography. You cant really change that. CT is part of a large forest that encompasses most of the North East. It played a very important role in how this country was founded by settlers in the East.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
CT does have a lot of open land. They have a trail marathon in the upper NE part of the State and I don't know so many now 6 to 8 might be 10 50K + ultra trail races in the State.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Every state offers something different, people in Colorado dont have access to the ocean or to big cities full of culture. They do have beautiful mountain ranges. I'm sure you knew going in that CT doesnt have big national parks and likely never will. Thats just not part of CT's geography. It does have several pretty locations. I dont think it deserves a thread being critical about what CT does and doesnt have in terms of its geography. You cant really change that. CT is part of a large forest that encompasses most of the North East. It played a very important role in how this country was founded by settlers in the East.
I couldn't care less about big cities or beaches. I avoid crowds and people as much as possible. I live in the Hartford area and only go to NYC/Boston maybe once every few years. I couldn't care less about those cities and have no reason to be there.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:16 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about big cities or beaches. I avoid crowds and people as much as possible. I live in the Hartford area and only go to NYC/Boston maybe once every few years. I couldn't care less about those cities and have no reason to be there.
then go be a hermit in the mountains of NH or Vermont. I dont see how complaining about what CT does or doesnt have is going to change your situation? Didnt you come from Ohio recently? Ohio's geography is about as interesting as watching paint dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut