Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,569 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, I'll be moving to Greenwich in march as my mother and my aunt bought a single family home there and I'll be working with them in their company. (I'm 28 y.o.)
While I visited NYC many times and liked it, I know absolutely nothing about its suburbs and Greenwich.

Obviously I know nobody in the area and I'll try to begin a social life (hopefully I will have a little free time) in order to spend some time apart from my mother and my aunt... Not that I don't like them, but if I don't know anyone else, I'd have no other option than staying glued to their backs I saw there are a couple of country clubs and thought it would be easier to meet people entering one of them (at least it's what many in Europe do). Does that make sense?

Also, I'd like to know the best options to reach Manhattan fastly from Greenwich. I never lived in a small town before, so I may like reaching one when I need it!

Least but not last, I'd like to have general info about what's like living there. Pro & cons compared to NYC for instance. I thought that since I am a pro chef of french cuisine, once I will be better settled I may think of opening a small french bistrot. Do people like going out and eating out in Greenwich like in NYC or is it different?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
Welcome! Greenwich is the closest, most accessible town to NYC in CT. There are four train stations in town. Metro-North local trains arrive in NYC (Grand Central, in midtown east) in just over an hour. Express train arrive in 45 min or so.

Country clubs are not open to the public. There's a lengthy, pricey process to joining, and you must be sponsored by a current member. It's also mostly families, so not a great social environment for singles. I'd suggest joining the Greenwich Newcomers Club Facebook group to begin with. Also be sure to read through the local papers for updates on events around town. Beyond that, there are plenty of ways to stay busy and meet people: restaurants, coffee chops, retail stores, bars, gyms, the museum, the beach, tennis clubs, triathlon groups, golf course, art galleries, fairs, food/wine festivals, volunteer opportunities with local charities, etc. Definitely get to know your neighbors too, they'll help make introductions!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellajac View Post
Hello guys, I'll be moving to Greenwich in march as my mother and my aunt bought a single family home there and I'll be working with them in their company. (I'm 28 y.o.)
While I visited NYC many times and liked it, I know absolutely nothing about its suburbs and Greenwich.

Obviously I know nobody in the area and I'll try to begin a social life (hopefully I will have a little free time) in order to spend some time apart from my mother and my aunt... Not that I don't like them, but if I don't know anyone else, I'd have no other option than staying glued to their backs I saw there are a couple of country clubs and thought it would be easier to meet people entering one of them (at least it's what many in Europe do). Does that make sense?

Also, I'd like to know the best options to reach Manhattan fastly from Greenwich. I never lived in a small town before, so I may like reaching one when I need it!

Least but not last, I'd like to have general info about what's like living there. Pro & cons compared to NYC for instance. I thought that since I am a pro chef of french cuisine, once I will be better settled I may think of opening a small french bistrot. Do people like going out and eating out in Greenwich like in NYC or is it different?

Thank you!

Greenwich is fairly large town in area with population of 62,000 let call it large suburban area with upper middle class and very wealthy areas You have Greenwich Ave area where coffee shops, art galleries, reatil shops, gyms to meet people just be nice and say hi. If you have nearby urban area there Downtown Stamford which is 10 mins by highway from center of Greenwich. Stamford will give urban setting where there ton of young professionals roaming around Downtown area with bars and stores around. Just 42 mins on train mega city call New York City world class city with hundreds of attractions, things to do, people everywhere. Manhattan to Greenwich comparison is NYC is fast paced, busy, people everywhere, things to see, high rise buildings. Greenwich a large quiet, slow paced suburban town with easy access to NYC.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:

Thank you!
People love dining out in Greenwich. From Greenwich to Fairfield you have the finest high end dining in the state. The only comparable would be downtown New Haven.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
Quote:

Thank you!
You'll probably spend most of ur social time in neighboring Stamford or Norwalk. Greenwich is very family oriented, i dont think it really has a young singles scene, more of a 40s, 50s divorced scene. New York city is a train ride away and has tons of world class options.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Greenwich is a very affluent suburb of New York. It is home to some of the wealthiest people in the country if not the world. While it is not small in population it does have a somewhat small town feel to it. There is a nice downtown area and suburban type shopping along Route 1. It is pretty car oriented so be prepared to have to drive places to get around. There is regular train service between several train stations in Greenwich and Grand Central Terminal in midtown Manhattan so getting there is relatively easy.

As was noted, Greenwich is more family oriented but neighboring Stamford is a bigger city with a lot of people your age. You might consider going there to meet people your age. I would encourage you to check out the newcomers clubs in the area as well as getting out and doing things that interest you to meet new people. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
As far as clubs I would suggest checking out the Greenwich water club as it has a younger vibe than other country/yacht clubs in the area, although there are still many families.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,569 times
Luckily I don't mind age, when I go out with somebody I am not the one who says he/she's older than me... I am divorced too, and for me moving means new life, so it's not a big deal.
Thank you for the suggestions. The few good clubs around my hometown are great time killers because they have everything and you get to know everybody easily, and plus as a woman when you're brought in/introduced by a man you don't pay the admission (while you pay dearly as a man - quite sexist! ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut