Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Hi,

My last advice on house hunting in these areas is to negotiate..hard. Look at place 50k-75k above your range. I was looking signficantly below your range 550-580k and my last straw with Ridgefield was seeing 4 houses that needed a lot of work or shoddy work and no garage for 550k. I told him that the prices were ridiculous and would never go for those anounts. Sure, enough after 8 months on market each one dropped 15-20% into 450-475k range. The home I bought in 2015 in Fairfield that started $150k more than my final purchase price. People are still delusional. I found Ridgefield more so though as if Ridgefield commanded something. Realistically, it is secluded and rough commute to NYC so it should have cap on its value plus few sewer or gas,lines and electric lines go down more often in rural areas. Need a generator to live there. Ridgefield got hammered during downturn and would expect so again. Fairfield has a lot more inventory and easier to identify comps. Look around and research before deciding
"Ridgefield got hammered during downturn"

Proof of that? Because I think it's BS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
one step further, if your agent is savvy and adding value as a buyer agent, they can break down per sq. ft. by house type and neighborhood, so you can really hone in on appropriate value (i.e., help you develop a rational offer price).

in many lower ff county towns, there's a few eye popping sales prices. same as nyc, for example. totally skews the avg. #'s. in a relatively low volume market, a handful of low-mid 8 digit home sales have absolutely nothing to do with a 3k sq. ft. ranch or cape built in 1960, yet it influences macro per st. ft. analysis.

a lazy agent will ignore that and just give you generic avg. #'s, which can lead you to overpaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This only means Westport likely has larger homes. To compare apples to apples, PPSqF is the most accurate way to judge expense of a community.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:44 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
"Ridgefield got hammered during downturn"

Proof of that? Because I think it's BS...

I don't have articles but I was looking north of town near mamanasco and rainbow lakes circa 2011 Several homes were shockingly below 2000 level. I think it is well known that northern FFC got hammered hard. You are right that in or close to Ridgefield town center probably did no worse than anywhere else during downturn. I heard from many agents that city people bought summer homes in north Ridgefield during bubble and got caught up really bad.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 AM

786 posts, read 824,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Never say never, sure it would, in Shippan and Rowayton it could be close to $1M. In East Norwalk right about there - $700K. I imagine other areas of Stamford - easily 700K or more.
You are newer to the region and not as familiar with the real estate dynamics involved here as I and some of the other posters here are. School rankings are a definite factor but not the only factor.
It always surprises me when people think certain neighborhoods are wealthy or more well off than Westport. Norwalk/Shippan Point/Rowayton just aren't up to par. Lets do them one at time..

6 bdr in Shippan Point for 595k. Lol at 1m

1860 Shippan Ave, Stamford, CT 06902 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

4 bedroom in Rowayton for 550k

16 Arnold Ln, Norwalk, CT 06853 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

4 bedroom in East Norwalk for 439k
32 Emerson St, Norwalk, CT 06855 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Double SFT (3200 sft) of the home in Westport in North Stamford, with a pool for 684k

192 Barclay Dr, Stamford, CT 06903 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Why are you so hell bent on proving Westport is wealthy or "more expensive"?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 AM

786 posts, read 824,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Why are you so hell bent on proving Westport is wealthy or "more expensive"?
I'm not but when someone quotes a previous post of mine saying that same home could fetch 1m in Shippan and Rowayton (!) people are going to assume that's accurate, when in reality, its not.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:26 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
I'm not but when someone quotes a previous post of mine saying that same home could fetch 1m in Shippan and Rowayton (!) people are going to assume that's accurate, when in reality, its not.
Post PPSqF of completed transactions. That's what determines an areas worth. Homes on the market mean nothing.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 AM

21 posts, read 18,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Drive on these roads;

Pequot
Harbor
Sasco Hill - all the way to the end
South Pine Creek - all the way to the end
Mill Hill Terrace
Mill Hill - turns into Warner Hill
Bronson
Southport Terrace
Penfield
Rowland
Lalley

True Ridgefield is more bucolic and homogeneous in nature, but nothing there really compares to the streets above.
Excellent, thank you! we will!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:22 AM

21 posts, read 18,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Hi,

My last advice on house hunting in these areas is to negotiate..hard. Look at place 50k-75k above your range. I was looking signficantly below your range 550-580k and my last straw with Ridgefield was seeing 4 houses that needed a lot of work or shoddy work and no garage for 550k. I told him that the prices were ridiculous and would never go for those anounts. Sure, enough after 8 months on market each one dropped 15-20% into 450-475k range. The home I bought in 2015 in Fairfield that started $150k more than my final purchase price. People are still delusional. I found Ridgefield more so though as if Ridgefield commanded something. Realistically, it is secluded and rough commute to NYC so it should have cap on its value plus few sewer or gas,lines and electric lines go down more often in rural areas. Need a generator to live there. Ridgefield got hammered during downturn and would expect so again. Fairfield has a lot more inventory and easier to identify comps. Look around and research before deciding
Thank you, good to know! I've noticed house prices there are sort of all over the place, big differences between houses that seem comparable otherwise...

Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
It always surprises me when people think certain neighborhoods are wealthy or more well off than Westport. Norwalk/Shippan Point/Rowayton just aren't up to par. Lets do them one at time..

6 bdr in Shippan Point for 595k. Lol at 1m

1860 Shippan Ave, Stamford, CT 06902 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

4 bedroom in Rowayton for 550k

16 Arnold Ln, Norwalk, CT 06853 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

4 bedroom in East Norwalk for 439k
32 Emerson St, Norwalk, CT 06855 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Double SFT (3200 sft) of the home in Westport in North Stamford, with a pool for 684k

192 Barclay Dr, Stamford, CT 06903 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
you're cherry picking the low end. Nice try though.
See below, two recent solds (in just 43 and 74 days), and one currently under contract.
I have lived in this hood extensively in the past and it's most definitely up to par with Wilton Rd.
I'm sure I can find the same in Rowayton and Shippan but can't be bothered anymore, you get the point.
Out

Property Details - Listingbook

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut