Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:21 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Train commute an option? If so, traffic doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
If on the Merritt before 715am it takes 25-30 min. I also drive 80-85mph.

Today I got on at 750 and it took 50 min to tarrytown. Not sure what youre doing.
Exit 41 to high ridge exit is about 15 miles. Should only take about 15-20 mins going 80 mph.
My times are door to door, not ramp to exit. A 50 min commute is insane.

For the OP - Westport and Weston schools are great.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 PM

21 posts, read 33,639 times
Hi. Your responses are very helpful. Greatly appreciate it.

Have a question about houses in reference to the notes from allanny13 in this thread. Is Darien more expensive than Westport? I thought it was just the opposite.

Westport looks excellent in many ways based on your comments. It looks like the perfect choice but we're looking for rentals and I can't find any modern apartment complexes there. New Canaan has one (Avalon). I need to check Darien, too.

>>If working in Stamford I would say just go for the best school district within the shortest commute- Darien or New Canaan are your top choices. You will get slightly less house than in Westport or Weston but you can't beat the quality of life with a short commute and excellent schools.<<

Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebee View Post
Hi. Your responses are very helpful. Greatly appreciate it.

Have a question about houses in reference to the notes from allanny13 in this thread. Is Darien more expensive than Westport? I thought it was just the opposite.

Westport looks excellent in many ways based on your comments. It looks like the perfect choice but we're looking for rentals and I can't find any modern apartment complexes there. New Canaan has one (Avalon). I need to check Darien, too.
Darien is more expensive than Westport. Not drastically, but it's not insignificant.

These towns are not big on apartment complexes and zoning tends to prohibit it.

Wilton also has an Avalon and is not a bad commute to Stamford. Avalon's are not great though. I knew people that lived in them in those areas and they are less than impressive, cheesy finishes, expensive, and had noise isolation issues. YMMV. You'd be better off renting a small house or individually owned condo or townhouse. They are far more prevalent and you can still get something nice and modern.

This is one new spot in Westport I'm aware of: Residential| Saugatuck Center

Westport has a couple new condo/townhouse developments that are meant for sale, not rental, but again–you can find owners that rent.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 PM

21 posts, read 33,639 times
Thank you very much for all the info you shared. Greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Exit 41 to high ridge exit is about 15 miles. Should only take about 15-20 mins going 80 mph.
My times are door to door, not ramp to exit. A 50 min commute is insane.

For the OP - Westport and Weston schools are great.
This is door-to-door. Today I left at 7:07am and dropped my wife off at Greens farms train station, AND then dropped our daughter off at daycare, AND still got to Tarrytown in an hour at 8:07am.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
Default Weston VS other towns/ schools

US News&World Reports announced its 2017 rankings. . Weston is ranked #2 in the state behind a small school in New Haven. It is ranked #1 among the exemplary school choices in Fairfield County. As a recognized teacher of excellence from another school system, I could not be mislead when searching for an exceptional school for my children. While many can be dazzled, I cut to the quick.if I have a conference with a teacher, often dept. heads are in attendance since I ask very direct questions. Luckily for me, I was not restricted by housing prices when selecting a school for my children. I could afford to buy anywhere, so I was free to choose. My children spent time in 2 elite private schools ( both headmasters offered me a job to revamp their programs, I declined). Let's just say I am qualified when it comes to assessing academic programs. I looked closely at Westport, New Canaan, Darien, Wilton and Weston. I chose Weston. In retrospect, I most certainly made the correct decision. My children were, in effect, given the most comprehensive private school education while being in a public school setting. Instead of paying upwards of $23,000 PER child ( I have two) per year , I secured a phenomenal education for them both while living in a magnificent house on 2 acres. Each child was different in that one was accepted by a top tier university for advanced academics while the other child was more creative and was accepted into a highly competitive university with an outstanding creative program. Both children not only had their needs meet, but had their talents nurtured so throughly in Weston that each was successful in getting accepted into their dream school. Additionally, the creative child won the presidential scholarship awarded to only 2 freshman in that major for the freshman year. The town of Weston is not a metropolis. It is rather adorable with very friendly people who are , for the most part, highly successful in their own worlds. Weston does not have the army of nannies you will see in other towns. The parents here are hands on. They enjoy their kids and it shows. Weston has made conscious decisions throughout the years to resist being a clone of another town. It's character has remained intact for a reason. It has chosen to be personal. Children do not get tracked and lost in the system. That, to me, closes the deal.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM

519 posts, read 582,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane D View Post
US News&World Reports announced its 2017 rankings. . Weston is ranked #2 in the state behind a small school in New Haven. It is ranked #1 among the exemplary school choices in Fairfield County. As a recognized teacher of excellence from another school system, I could not be mislead when searching for an exceptional school for my children. While many can be dazzled, I cut to the quick.if I have a conference with a teacher, often dept. heads are in attendance since I ask very direct questions. Luckily for me, I was not restricted by housing prices when selecting a school for my children. I could afford to buy anywhere, so I was free to choose. My children spent time in 2 elite private schools ( both headmasters offered me a job to revamp their programs, I declined). Let's just say I am qualified when it comes to assessing academic programs. I looked closely at Westport, New Canaan, Darien, Wilton and Weston. I chose Weston. In retrospect, I most certainly made the correct decision. My children were, in effect, given the most comprehensive private school education while being in a public school setting. Instead of paying upwards of $23,000 PER child ( I have two) per year , I secured a phenomenal education for them both while living in a magnificent house on 2 acres. Each child was different in that one was accepted by a top tier university for advanced academics while the other child was more creative and was accepted into a highly competitive university with an outstanding creative program. Both children not only had their needs meet, but had their talents nurtured so throughly in Weston that each was successful in getting accepted into their dream school. Additionally, the creative child won the presidential scholarship awarded to only 2 freshman in that major for the freshman year. The town of Weston is not a metropolis. It is rather adorable with very friendly people who are , for the most part, highly successful in their own worlds. Weston does not have the army of nannies you will see in other towns. The parents here are hands on. They enjoy their kids and it shows. Weston has made conscious decisions throughout the years to resist being a clone of another town. It's character has remained intact for a reason. It has chosen to be personal. Children do not get tracked and lost in the system. That, to me, closes the deal.
Paragraphs ARE your friend. Too long, too hard to read...

Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebee View Post
Hi.

We're considering a relocation to CT (office at Stamford, CT) and our main focus is to find a high ranking public school district in the area. Stamford public schools do not look good, so we are checking other districts around.

My son is in accelerated math and gifted programs, and he is currently in an exceptionally good school district in top 30 across the country.

I am checking the rankings in https://k12.niche.com and see Westport and New Canaan as the top choices. However, I just read Weston High School is the #1 in Newsweek's recent top high schools study in 2016.

What are your thoughts on Weston School District in comparison to Westport and New Canaan? I'm trying to get a good understanding on both academic and extracurricular activities in these schools.

Thank you!
JB
I have friends in all the towns you mentioned. All the schools systems are great. If Weston is now rated #1 Westport and New Canaan are a hairline behind. Move to the town you like the best or you think will suite your family best.

Westport is a nice bustling town on the water with many things to do including one of the gems in our state park system Sherwood Island. New Canaan is more rural and quiet. Weston if the most rural and "sleepy" but some people like that.

Why don't you put Darien in the mix too. I have relatives there and that is another great school system, nice town and would be the best commute to Stamford.

Last edited by CTartist; 04-26-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Staples HS in Westport was ranked #5 in US News and #2 at Niche. Overall district in Westport was ranked #1 by niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut