Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,640,065 times

Advertisements

Caroline -

You are correct in saying that re taxes and prices are better but you pay so much more in NC for other things and at the same time making les money. Howveer, quality of life is the most importnant facot and I think NE has that hands down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,551,960 times
I'm originally from Conn, and moved to NC many years ago. I moved my children to the Raleigh area, and it was the best thing I could have ever done. The Wake county schools are great, and my children did awesome. Not to mention we have some of the best universities here. Best medical facilities,and jobs. The housing market in wonderful in my book, and soooooo much more affordable than Conn. You get alot more for your money here, that you can't get in the New England area. I'm a realtor in this area, and love my job. I have relocated many people from Ct, Boston, NY, NJ, Penn. People wouldn't be leaving it if was so great in that area. They are looking for a better way of life, and something more for their children. That seems to be the main concern for them. One thing I can say about that is, by bringing my children here, they have made friends from all over the world. That has really made them a better individual, learning to deal with all types of people.Things are all fresh and new here and keep changing. When I go home to Conn ( which I am for christmas) things seem old and run down alot. Don't get me wrong, I love to go home. I even still say home all the time, but I choose not to live there. For one thing I can't handle all that cold weather and snow for such a LONG time. The weather here is beautiful, and this weekend I will have all my windows open and shorts on. I did hear you have been having unusually nice weather though. I'll keep my fingers crossed fro you ;-)

Debbie

Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 72,004 times
I would vote for NC personally, as they don't tax you to death on every little thing like CT does. Also the warm weather during winter is nice, too.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 AM

291 posts, read 1,778,406 times
Seriously. I have an 1100 sq foot house here in CT. and my taxes are over $5000 a year and with the 50% UI increase I will be spending $300 a month for electric!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,387,982 times
CT taxes are strange since they vary so much by town. Unlike salatheel, my house is larger and I have a good sized chunk of land, but I only pay $3K in taxes (and we just had a re-val last year!).

Old 12-27-2006, 08:57 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,734,874 times
My taxes are a tad under $8600 per year. I have a larger (3,000 square feet) house and 4 1/2 acres, most of which are wetlands. I am not happy with the situation. My electric for the summer months was $504, $702, and $501. Last month, it was finally under $300. And no, I don't have a heated garage or a heated pool.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 AM

106 posts, read 581,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
My taxes are a tad under $8600 per year. I have a larger (3,000 square feet) house and 4 1/2 acres, most of which are wetlands. I am not happy with the situation. My electric for the summer months was $504, $702, and $501. Last month, it was finally under $300. And no, I don't have a heated garage or a heated pool.
Can you explain why your summer bills are that high? Is your thermostat set on 65 in July? Do you run the AC all day? Do you run the oven and clothes dryer constantly? Do you have adequate insulation in your attic? Do you have a high efficiency air conditioner?

Just wondering because we have a 4600 sq. ft. two-story house (not including the basement) and we don't have a heated garage or pool either, and our largest bill for the YEAR was $300 in July.

We use our air conditioner but we keep it at 78 or above.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
Can you explain why your summer bills are that high? Is your thermostat set on 65 in July? Do you run the AC all day? Do you run the oven and clothes dryer constantly? Do you have adequate insulation in your attic? Do you have a high efficiency air conditioner?

Just wondering because we have a 4600 sq. ft. two-story house (not including the basement) and we don't have a heated garage or pool either, and our largest bill for the YEAR was $300 in July.

We use our air conditioner but we keep it at 78 or above.
My house was built in 2002. I checked the builder's work every step of the way so I know that he used quality materials.

My thermostat is set for 65°F (18°C) at night and 68°F (20°C) during the day. The air conditioner runs from mid-April through October. As you can tell, I can't tolerate heat. Since there are just two of us, it's not a question of the dryer or oven. I've been told to ask CL&P to do an audit.

My neighbors have similar stories...

Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,751,417 times
Try raising the temp in the summer time. It will go down. You'll get used to the slightly warmer weather, especially if you go outdoors more.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Try raising the temp in the summer time. It will go down. You'll get used to the slightly warmer weather, especially if you go outdoors more.
Not true, at least not for me. I do go outdoors several hours a day to do various yard work. The humidity does me in. I've been like this for 25 years. I remember sitting in 8th period English class (10 grade) perspiring uncontrollably. I was 140 lbs. back then. My weight does fluctuate; it's currently at 165. (I'm 5' 7".) During summer '06, it was 155, and summer '05 was 145. I'm throwing this out there because this is the first thing that I'm asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut