Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:07 PM

390 posts, read 364,151 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone else has run into similar issues and how they have managed to get it resolved.

We moved out of CT last year in September. We have a leased car we registered in the new state. The DMV website was not working at the time and no one ever answers the phone at the number they have listed, so we had to mail in our plates. They did cancel it, but still billed our lease agency (GM Financial) for the full tax amount as though we never moved away.

GM insisted we pay right away, so we did just to avoid it going to collections. I'm trying to get reimbursed for the $350 from the state. They want proof it was cancelled, which we don't have because they never sent us anything after they mailed us the plates. I can pull up and verify that the registration was cancelled per the license plate - but that doesn't list the VIN or anything tying it to our car. Even if we do, I'm pretty sure they are going to reimburse the money to GM rather than to us who has already made it clear that this is between us and the state and they won't have anything to do with it. I will be shocked if we ever get that money from GM.

Any suggestions on who to go to or other advice? I'm wondering if either calling local officials or contacting the sales department where we got the car will be worthwhile....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,467,047 times
It was my understanding the CT does not care when you moved or left the state as they do not charge "partial" for taxes on vehicles. I got hit when we moved from EH to Wallingford for a bill from EH, what a croc when I only lived there half the year yet had to pay full amount. Wallingford thankfully does their collection in arrears so I was not hit with two bills at once.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Well, the problem is that we should not have been billed at all as we had moved out of the state in September (before the October 1 assessment date)....

Old 08-22-2016, 02:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,066,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post

Any suggestions on who to go to or other advice? I'm wondering if either calling local officials or contacting the sales department where we got the car will be worthwhile....
Call your former local tax office. A town employee has to cancel your taxes.

You need to mail the paper receipt you got from the state for the plate return to the town tax collector's office. (I think I remember) they also want a copy of your new registration to prove you licensed the vehicle elsewhere.

You'd think that in the 21st century this might be more automatic and user-friendly, but not so.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 10,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Call your former local tax office. A town employee has to cancel your taxes.

You need to mail the paper receipt you got from the state for the plate return to the town tax collector's office. (I think I remember) they also want a copy of your new registration to prove you licensed the vehicle elsewhere.

You'd think that in the 21st century this might be more automatic and user-friendly, but not so.
This.

You should be refunded by the town you lived in an amount based on when the registration was cancelled during the tax year.

They might actually refund GM and they will need to refund you since you didn't pay the taxes directly but paid GM for paying the taxes.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Thanks. I actually emailed all this to the town tax collector and assessor directly, hoping they can push it through. We never received a cancellation notice after sending in the plates (could not cancel it online because it was a lease), but I'm hoping they will take confirmation that the license plate was cancelled since I was able to look that up on the state website.

My main concern is that they will want to reimburse it to GM rather than me and GM will just eat the money - they definitely appear the least competent of all these organizations. Spoke to three people and the manager was even dumber than the employees.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Curious if anyone else has run into similar issues and how they have managed to get it resolved.

We moved out of CT last year in September. We have a leased car we registered in the new state. The DMV website was not working at the time and no one ever answers the phone at the number they have listed, so we had to mail in our plates. They did cancel it, but still billed our lease agency (GM Financial) for the full tax amount as though we never moved away.

GM insisted we pay right away, so we did just to avoid it going to collections. I'm trying to get reimbursed for the $350 from the state. They want proof it was cancelled, which we don't have because they never sent us anything after they mailed us the plates. I can pull up and verify that the registration was cancelled per the license plate - but that doesn't list the VIN or anything tying it to our car. Even if we do, I'm pretty sure they are going to reimburse the money to GM rather than to us who has already made it clear that this is between us and the state and they won't have anything to do with it. I will be shocked if we ever get that money from GM.

When you mail in plates to cancel them, you are supposed to include a self addressed envelop for the state to return a receipt to you. They will not absorb the cost of postage even though its minimal at .47 cents.

If you still have your old CT registration it will have the plate number on it. If you can get a screen shot of the cancel or print out from the CT DMV website you that should be sufficient to prove cancellation of the plates. (i.e it will establish the connection of the car to the plates)

IMO you should have never paid the outstanding $350 to GMAC in the first place. I can understand why you did it, but I would have ignored them. Or better yet forwarded all the information you listed here and had them [GMAC] argue with the city tax dept. There goal was to get paid and now that they did it's no surprise they are ignoring you.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM

Did include the envelope - they didn't send us anything Hopefully the print out from the website will be sufficient.

I wasn't happy about paying GM, but we're planning to go on the housing market in a couple months and $350 is just not worth even the slightest risk that this could end up on a credit report (even if we eventually managed to get it removed - it would take some time). I tried to get them to fight the battle, but I couldn't find an employee who even understood what was happening let alone seemed capable of doing anything about it.

After this experience, I have been sorely tempted to submit editorials everywhere I can think of titled "General Motors has worse customer service than DMV" and take my frustrations out on their stock price

Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 175,979 times
Hi,

The towns tax assessor is usually a one man show, at least in Glastonbury it is and if you call them on the phone they will walk you through what is needed. We never got a receipt either but it did not matter because the assessor is able to look up the entire account. Also look at your bill you may have paid for last year and not the upcoming year which would mean they owe you nothing.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 PM

260 posts, read 384,983 times
If one is moving mid October does it make sense to register the car in the new state prior to October first or will it impact my taxes greatly if I wait a couple of weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut