Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So I just got a new job and I need to move ASAP. Ideally in a few weeks. I currently live in Massachusetts so I am somewhat close. The job is located in Norwalk and I was thinking about living in the North End or Black Rock section of Bridgeport but wanted to ask the advice from people that actually live there.

I really do not want to rent, I am not very wealthy by any means and do not have money to just throw down for a cash deal but to me renting makes no sense. I would rather build equity, pay interest to a bank and own my property after a few years. Having said that, I am really looking to just buy to make the move quick, after a few years with the company and after I get settled, I will move to another, nicer area (or I plan to anyway) and just rent out what I am planning to buy now. So again, for now, I am just looking to buy something quick in a relatively safe area. I picked the North End and Black Rock because they seem like the most affordable areas, I think I would be able to scrap together the cash and get either a personal loan or a mortgage to cover the rest. I would prefer to not spend more than $150,000 and from what I see so far, I should not have any problem with this. I saw a large apartment building in the North End, (the Inwood I think was the name) which looked nice, it was gated and had a 24 hour doorman.

I am definitely not limited to these two areas either. If anyone else has any other ideas of places that I should look into please let me know! I do not care about night life, or anything to do on the weekends or anything like that. I only care about buying something that is in a safe area and does not have a horrible commute.

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it!

- Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times
Honestly, $150k in that area of Connecticut will get you pretty much a handshake. If it's $150k in Bridgeport its in a bad area.

I would rent if I were you. You might be able to find more affordable housing headed up route 8 which is always an option. Even though it's right on the Fairfield line.

Does $150k include taxes and hoa fees. I just looked at that unit and it said taxes were $8000 a year, not sure what the HOA fees are but just keep that in mind.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
The Inwood is a condo tower on northern Park Avenue on the Fairfield town line. It is a very nice area. It is a luxury building so I am guessing that the HOA fees are high. You should check that. I had a friend that rented there and loved it but had to move because the unit was being sold. Did not realize they were so cheap though. Hard to say if it is a good investment or not.

Both the North End and Black Rock are good areas. In the North End try to stay north of Capital Avenue and west of Main Street. There are a lot of condos off northern Madison avenue that are nice too. In Black Rock stay west of Ellsworth Street. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
Yes the Park ave area is pretty decent. Black Rock is better though, you may find a duplex or something for 150 but i doubt it.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
There is a condo complex on Madison Avenue right on the border of Trumbull. This is a safe area near the Trumbull mall.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...e/pid_12655880

Old 08-22-2016, 09:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,581 times
There's some nice condos that range in Stratford too, adds about 15 mins to commute but the beach rights you get with it are cool.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
There is a condo complex on Madison Avenue right on the border of Trumbull. This is a safe area near the Trumbull mall.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...e/pid_12655880
Those are one of the complexes I was thinking of. In fact I know someone that lives there and they like it. It is very safe but taxes may be high. As seymourct just suggested, Stratford could be a good option too. Jay

Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,581 times
Thank you so, so, so much for all of this great advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
You want to stick to better areas, just think of the hassles of renting to people in a bad neighborhood.

Stratford is a good suggestion. Lower taxes and still very affordable. Generally safer.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
How about Milford for the OP? I have cousins that have a business in Norwalk and they live in Milford. They love Milford, it's a nice safe town. The resale value of a condo would be much higher than Stratford or Bridgeport too. A single musician friend of mine lives in Milford also and he loves it there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut