Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
As for driving in general, the last time I visited CT was in 2012 and I vividly remember how many PSYCHO drivers there were on 84! It was insane the way they drove down the highway like cowboys. And never sacrifice on rent. Safety is important! You can never be too careful. My brother is in Mystic and loves CT and my sister is in New Milford and she loves CT too so I think it's a love or hate state. Some adore it and some can't wait to leave! P.S. I hated the winters in the Hartford area and I don't think I could shovel snow anymore. Must say as a kid I loved it because of SNOW DAYS!!
Again I have to kind of disagree with you on this. Some of the worst drivers I have seen have been in Florida. You have a high amount of older drivers who should have lost their licenses a long time ago as well as a lot of insane relocated north easterners and a few good-old-boys out for joy rides which is a recipe for a real mess. Of course I am NOT saying you are wrong about I-84 or necessisarily where you are in Florida but my experience there was not much better than here. Could it be you just are not familiar with the roads so you feel they are worse? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
As much as I dislike living in CT in general, we do NOT have a lot of overcast days. Winter does stink, without a doubt. But there are lots of sunny days.

I get up early so August can depress me some years, as it can be hazy early in the morning. This year wasn't bad though.

When I was a kid we hardly ever had snow days! Now they seem to get them every week.

Lots of crazy drivers for sure - but Run - really, you thought MA was better?! I think they are way worse - cannot stand the MA Pike (I do have a friend who lives in MA who hates driving through CT so maybe it's what you're used to)

Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
It's probably true all States will complain their drivers are the worse of the worse. I think, almost 10 years driving ha, can adjust to driving in the State I would enjoy living here
more. Sometimes I don't venture out a lot just to avoid driving in the State.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
I do like living in Connecticut. It's a great state in a lot of ways, and it's my adopted state.

But this state is not so great for people who don't have a high income. Fairfield County is of course the worst in that regard, but other parts of the state also have above average cost of living.

I don't want to leave, but I fear that I won't be able to remain here after I retire. I worry that the poor financial condition of the state, and the fact that the politicians, who are bought and owned by the public employee unions, refuse to address the critical issues, will run the state into the ground, causing it to be a high tax hell with poor services. It has moved well along in that direction already.

It may become too much for me to live here at some point, and that's a shame because I like it here.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I do like living in Connecticut. It's a great state in a lot of ways, and it's my adopted state.

But this state is not so great for people who don't have a high income. Fairfield County is of course the worst in that regard, but other parts of the state also have above average cost of living.

I don't want to leave, but I fear that I won't be able to remain here after I retire. I worry that the poor financial condition of the state, and the fact that the politicians, who are bought and owned by the public employee unions, refuse to address the critical issues, will run the state into the ground, causing it to be a high tax hell with poor services. It has moved well along in that direction already.

It may become too much for me to live here at some point, and that's a shame because I like it here.
I fear the same. Our house right now, though not perfect, is in SUCH a great location. Dead end road, not many neighbors, wildlife in our backyard. 1.2 acre (trying to figure out a way to squeeze my horse in here). I could be happy here forever if not for economics.

Forgot to mention the great shoreline. As for crazy drivers, they all have out-of-state plates!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I fear the same. Our house right now, though not perfect, is in SUCH a great location. Dead end road, not many neighbors, wildlife in our backyard. 1.2 acre (trying to figure out a way to squeeze my horse in here). I could be happy here forever if not for economics.

Forgot to mention the great shoreline. As for crazy drivers, they all have out-of-state plates!
My house and the street I live on are absolutely perfect. I am so blessed to be living where I am. But I hope I can continue to. The hacks that are running things in Hartford seem to want to chase out the productive people and be left with all the dead weight that contributes nothing and demands a lot of "services." Those are the people they cater to, failing to realize that somebody has to pay for it.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times
I've never lived in CT,but I can relate to feeling depressed living somewhere and not feeling happy.

My opinion is you need to move to a new environment where you'll feel happier...When I lived in Washington State I was depressed often,but when I moved to California I felt much happier.

And I know the winters or rainy/gloomy days can make you feel even more depressed,and that's how it was for me when I lived up in Washinton State.

I hope everything works out for you and your in my prayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
This will probably get deleted. I don't want to paint CT in the negative. I don't know I feel very unhappy in CT. I am trying to improve my current situation, little late then never I guess.

I don't know why. Maybe lived here since I was a baby. I mean I have lived in Danbury, Brookfield, New Milford, Waterbury, and Naugatuck. I've worked in Danbury, Waterbury, Litchfield, and Bridgeport. I don't know I feel trapped in CT. I feel people can be rude. Don't feel safe driving in CT. Feel there is a lot of people who trash the areas I visit unless further north seems people respect the land more.

The weather can make it difficult for someone wanting to live a healthy lifestyle. The area feels congested and areas feel overpriced in regards to housing/rent.

I did have a good experience so far with the State higher education.

There are festivals and fairs can do from late Spring to Fall. Winter feels boring and dead in the State. It's difficult to drive in the State during the winter.

Do enjoying camping in the State be nice if be open all year round.

Just don't know.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:57 PM

445 posts, read 398,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with MrGomphers, I don't think we have a lot of overcast days. Still I will take the few we do have over the never ending oppressive heat and humidity of Florida any day. Just not for me. Jay
Yeah Florida is darn muggy!! Can't wait to leave!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 PM

35 posts, read 35,764 times
I love CT. it's beautiful and the people are 'authentic'. Not necessarily 'nice' like the Midwest but more direct / straightforward.

As a Midwestern transplant I did have to adjust to this and I went through a phase where I thought people here were rude and I was 'too nice' for New England and I would have to toughen up, etc. but really what I needed was to drop the pretense around my communications. And that changed everything. Stop pretending and focus on good, clear, meaningful and affirming conversation. And not a lot of it. ;-)

Now I can't live anywhere else.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:15 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Florida's heat is unbearable. I don't ever want to live in the butthole of Satan ever again.

If you think "Oh, I've dealt with 90F plenty in CT and it's not "THAT" bad!" Then take that same heat, add another 40% humidity and don't give yourself a break for 8+ months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut