Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 06:30 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,614,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I do think some teachers are just no good at teaching (I had some in college) but there would need to be some way to evaluate that without any biases. The teaching world is full of "office politics" so I don't think an unbiased system could ever be created.
There's many many jobs with far less of an ability to objectively measure performance that get along just fine. There's the odd wrongful termination lawsuit, but in general private companies are pretty protected as long as there's some documentation.

Principals need to be managers of their faculty, and determine performance using all the available inputs (discussions with the teacher, reviewing syllabi/lesson plans, random drop-ins, test scores, talking to kids, talking to parents).

If they need more principals to handle that, then maybe that's where the 'more money' needs to go, rather than paying the consultants.

Edit: Oh, and the higher performing teachers need to be paid more - seniority alone is a terrible, terrible system. One reason being that it means an older teacher that loses his/her job is often unemployable because they cost too much and cannot even legally accept less (union again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 06:46 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,167,551 times
Welfare un-motivates adults who become unmotivated parents. Unmotivated parents raise unmotivated kids.

The problem is that CT politicians rely on these unmotivated people to perpetuate their reign. So bad schools are here to stay.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:42 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,378,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Welfare un-motivates adults who become unmotivated parents. Unmotivated parents raise unmotivated kids.

The problem is that CT politicians rely on these unmotivated people to perpetuate their reign. So bad schools are here to stay.
I have never been on welfare, nor have any family members of mine; however, I used to have a very good friend (she died) who had been a very young mother, was in subsidized housing for several years when I first met her and received some assistance. She was a very good hands-on mother and was very intelligent and taught her young son well.

After university she got a good job with the State of California, became a higher level manager, had a second child with her new husband, bought a modest house which sold for more than a million dollars after her death. She was a hands-on mother who ensured her children got into top elementary, middle and highs schools. Both of her children got good educations (not on welfare) and are especially good citizens. The son works for a local government and the daughter is an attorney.

My friend needed that welfare for a time (I don't know how many years, but probably at least 8), but she became a very productive member of society and so did her children and throughout all their lifetimes all the tax they have paid more than makes up for the assistance she got as a young mother.

I don't think you should knock all welfare. Some people just need it for awhile and then get off it and contribute very well to society. My friend's life and those of her children disprove your assertion that welfare un-motivates recipients. Of course, it can be true for some people who remain on welfare for generations, but that is not typical of all welfare recipients.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't think you should knock all welfare. Some people just need it for awhile and then get off it and contribute very well to society. My friend's life and those of her children disprove your assertion that welfare un-motivates recipients. Of course, it can be true for some people who remain on welfare for generations, but that is not typical of all welfare recipients.
Def not... but there are a significant number of people who take advantage of the system and are an insult to people like your late friend... you can't ignore that.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,167,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have never been on welfare, nor have any family members of mine; however, I used to have a very good friend (she died) who had been a very young mother, was in subsidized housing for several years when I first met her and received some assistance. She was a very good hands-on mother and was very intelligent and taught her young son well.

After university she got a good job with the State of California, became a higher level manager, had a second child with her new husband, bought a modest house which sold for more than a million dollars after her death. She was a hands-on mother who ensured her children got into top elementary, middle and highs schools. Both of her children got good educations (not on welfare) and are especially good citizens. The son works for a local government and the daughter is an attorney.

My friend needed that welfare for a time (I don't know how many years, but probably at least 8), but she became a very productive member of society and so did her children and throughout all their lifetimes all the tax they have paid more than makes up for the assistance she got as a young mother.

We're talking about welfare (especially inter-generational welfare), and not "workfare." We're talking about a permanent condition of state dependency for able-bodied adults, which is present in CT's rotten cities, like Bridgeport for example, which this thread is for.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,614,622 times
Don't have links but AFAIK from studies the vast majority of people who get welfare have it only temporarily.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:14 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
To where? Here in CT most of the best school districts are close enough to bad ones to make busing easy. You could move more rural but that won't work for everyone.
Happens over time. Has happened virtually every place that a major push for busing was imposed.

Some people don't move; just transition to private schools.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Don't have links but AFAIK from studies the vast majority of people who get welfare have it only temporarily.
Some of those statistics are misleading in that they count a short break as "getting off welfare".

Old 10-27-2016, 11:09 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,602,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem Prospect faced was finding a high school that could take their students. The town did not have its own high school so they had to rely on other towns for a high school but the nearby schools were already overcrowded. The closest one with enough capacity was Masuk. I believe Oxford sent their kids there too at one point. Jay
They had the option of Wolcott, Seymour, Naugatuck or Masuk. Masuk is the furthest one away and only came into play after Wilby ended the contract with the region.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,602,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's your opinion. Most people do not share your view. Sometime ago I read an article that even in MA, most Democrats support charter schools. Maybe someone, or even yourself can dig up the sentiment of CT voters and parents.

Of course teachers' unions, and plenty of liberals loathe charter schools, and see them as grave danger to their monopoly on education. Of course, they hate the fact that actually parents, not them, have the control over their own kids' education.

Unions and liberals crave control of other people's lives, and loathe freedom and competition.
The only parents supporting charters are parent whose kids are in them at the moment. Many of those same parents leave the charter when they realize what a joke it is. My statement was not opinion. Google the Detroit Free Press, LA Times, Esquire, and the works of the people I already told you about. Huge scandals with charter schools have been uncovered. Follow the money also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut