Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 06:17 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sounds like your friend has personal beef with the district that's not common amongst most. Every person I know who has experience with Newtown and similar surrounding districts have nothing but great things to say about it.
Kind of getting off topic here but wasn't there a whole thread a couple years ago about a rash of drug deaths at the high school there?

My school had zero drug deaths so it's not like it's something that happens everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 06:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Are you talking about the measures taken to desegregate? If so I think that's a whole different issue... messy problem (segregation), really messy solutions (desegregation). I don't see why it would still be necessary to do that today.
It would still be a priority today, and CT school districts are still de facto segregated.. The theory is actually quite racist: that minorities cannot succeed unless they are amid a sufficient fraction of whites.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
It would still be a priority today, and CT school districts are still de facto segregated.. The theory is actually quite racist: that minorities cannot succeed unless they are amid a sufficient fraction of whites.
I just don't see this happening in reality. De facto segregated is very different than segregated by design. Nearly all my friends were bused/lived outside the district in all my years of schooling, and in that time and in the decade plus since, I have never heard of any movement to actually force kids into WORSE schools (of any race) against the parents' wishes. Not something to fear IMO.

No one benefits in that scenario, so who would champion it? If you're busing inner city kids into good schools, then at least 1 group benefits - those kids would get a better education. Not saying that's right or wrong, but obviously there's a constituent there that would champion the policy. No one benefits in the reverse situation.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Does this actually happen though? I don't see a single reason why this would or should happen, and if it does then I'm appalled. I can see the logic in bussing inner city kids to good schools - that brings them something positive that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Why would someone bus suburban kids into inner city schools...? It doesn't seem like the logical step at all to me.
For large scale forced integration, it would be necessary to bring suburban kids into the city, since that would make room for city kids in the suburbs.

Personally, I don't believe in forced busing. It has never worked anywhere it has been tried, despite what some people say.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:33 PM

Here, I did some quick research -

The 1974 case of Milliken v. Bradley addressed the issue of “white flight” to the suburbs by suggesting that one remedy would be to bus suburban children into the inner city schools in which whites were the minority. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that suburban students could not be used to desegregate inner city schools.

Source: https://education.uslegal.com/desegr...-white-flight/

Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
For large scale forced integration, it would be necessary to bring suburban kids into the city, since that would make room for city kids in the suburbs.

Personally, I don't believe in forced busing. It has never worked anywhere it has been tried, despite what some people say.
Is forced busing done today at all? Why is this still a concern? I can't imagine it would pass any sort of political hurdle... people get up in arms today if you so much as force their kids to go to the next school over due to overcrowding (even if the school is just as good).

Old 10-31-2016, 08:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,939 times
Quote:
Here, I did some quick research -

The 1974 case of Milliken v. Bradley addressed the issue of “white flight” to the suburbs by suggesting that one remedy would be to bus suburban children into the inner city schools in which whites were the minority. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that suburban students could not be used to desegregate inner city schools.

Source: https://education.uslegal.com/desegr...-white-flight/
It was not done across school district boundaries, but it was done within cities.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:10 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Do you know how many people will move away from Riverside, OG, Darien, Westport, NC to Bronxville and Scarsdale?

The state will never do this.
State doesn't care.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:30 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Kind of getting off topic here but wasn't there a whole thread a couple years ago about a rash of drug deaths at the high school there?

My school had zero drug deaths so it's not like it's something that happens everywhere.
I know what HS you went to from past posts and can tell you, that's not true. Your HS has as much opiate addicts as neighboring districts.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:28 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
State doesn't care.
Most of their taxes comes from those towns. They lean against us for most of the burden.
They certainly would care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut