Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 05:43 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I'm against bussing myself (no one really is, on either side of the equation).
The SJWs are still in favor of busing. Or neighborhood re-alignment. Same goal. Don't let anybody in the middle class escape being exposed to the problems of the underclass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Henry10,

I was talking about exclusionary zoning, not bussing. If you ever want to make a lot of money try to build "low-income" apartments in a few of the more "exclusive" towns. You'll get an offer buying you out instantly.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You do know that middle class home ownership didn't just magically appear because the middle class magically got the knowledge to buy property right?

Without the leg up with the GI Bill and Jumbo 30-year mortgage home ownership might never have taken off for the middle class (and unsurprisingly certain groups of hardworking, veteran Americans were denied both in large part... no idea why though). Both were and continue to be huge subsidies to the middle class, and of course with those comes the grand daddy giveaway of them all the Mortgage Interest Deduction. It's so easy to discount other people's plight though...
I am not willing to compare people coming back from WW2 to inner city gang bangers.

It's easier to get a house than to keep it and maintain it. If you're in the underclass, you'll likely fail at the latter.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The SJWs are still in favor of busing. Or neighborhood re-alignment. Same goal. Don't let anybody in the middle class escape being exposed to the problems of the underclass.
And the people in the alt-right that say SJW nonironically, it's more about not being exposed to us "underclass" with chances on being stronger, smarter, hungier competition on an even playing field with the same handouts from the state the "overclass" so cherishes.

See how easy that is?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
And the people in the alt-right that say SJW nonironically, it's more about not being exposed to us "underclass" with chances on being stronger, smarter, hungier competition on an even playing field with the same handouts from the state they so cherish.

See how easy that is?
It is very easy to characterize anything when you're a hard core leftist. No thought required.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

I am not willing to compare people coming back from WW2 to inner city gang bangers.

It's easier to get a house than to keep it and maintain it. If you're in the underclass, you'll likely fail at the latter.
Seriously? ! So much gross in a single post.

First, most poor people are working poor.
Second, the Gi Bill wasn't available to ALL returning vets. A disgusting moment in our history.
Third, you haven't been to many hpuses of the hyper rich. Every house ages, and maintenance isn't always priority one for every one regardless of income.

And hardcore leftist? I'm a classic New England Republican. The point of fiscal conservation is bang for the buck. .. not to burn money to feel superior.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Ann,

I was purposely being facetious. I do understand the concern, what don't I get is the vitriolic anxiety. Having a couple of poor kids in a school system isn't devastating to rankings much less property values. We know that concentrating poverty is the worst thing to do pretty much, but that's the status quo in CT as it stands. There's a nasty, pervasive line of thought in general suburban thought in this country: that they can wall themselves off from the ills of economic disparities and that the chickens of their actions to make their dream a reality would never come home to roost. Let's face it the tonier towns are facing issues: namely not many in my generation wants to put money on the exclusive properties and the communities have no "foot in the door" for new buyers. Tge "we care about property values" argument rings hollow when sellers have to take 20 to 40% cuts to move inventory, so then what is it?
Sure, I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I don't have a problem with busing as long as it's voluntary and wanted on both sides, with priority for keeping kids in their neighborhood school if they want it. Forced busing either way is just a recipe for resentment.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Henry10,

I was talking about exclusionary zoning, not bussing. If you ever want to make a lot of money try to build "low-income" apartments in a few of the more "exclusive" towns. You'll get an offer buying you out instantly.
Why is it fair for a poor person to look after his self-interest, but not fair for a wealthy man to look after his?

What happened to the equal opportunity to look after self-interest?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Sure, I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I don't have a problem with busing as long as it's voluntary and wanted on both sides, with priority for keeping kids in their neighborhood school if they want it. Forced busing either way is just a recipe for resentment.
Exactly.This whole "inner city parents don't care" is a bit of a canard. For one, promising return of community control is a bigggg reason Ganim is mayor of BPT right now and not Finch (also a reason the BOE is in turmoil but that's for a different thread). But that said every community in CT has a stake in all these kid's futures, it's high time to act like it. I'm all for making the city schools better, first. But b that requires fixing root causes of widespread poverty. Business ownership abd support for that end isn't a panacea but does absolute wonders.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Why is it fair for a poor person to look after his self-interest, but not fair for a wealthy man to look after his?

What happened to the equal opportunity to look after self-interest?
I don't think I made a judgment call on morality there. I'm all for bleeding jerks dry though. That's just capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut