Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 3,056 times

Advertisements

It is often recommended that people that are experiencing delays with their citizenship application
to contact their Senators or Congressman. But lawyers say that the response one might receive depends
greatly on the representative's priorities, some may strongly and actively pursue the case while others may not.

I was wondering if those Connecticut residents that know the ins and outs of these matters could recommend which representative would be more wise to contact.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,288,745 times
The u.s.c.i.s has been severely backed up this year. Contacting your senator, if he intervenes, will give you a form letter response. There seems to be not much that can be done but wait. But it doesn't cost you anything to contact them. So go ahead. Let them earn your future support.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM

Thank you very much for answering

Yes I know about the backlog but its been a whole year and a long time coming.
But as you mentioned it cant hurt.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,800,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slisa View Post
It is often recommended that people that are experiencing delays with their citizenship application
to contact their Senators or Congressman. But lawyers say that the response one might receive depends
greatly on the representative's priorities, some may strongly and actively pursue the case while others may not.

I was wondering if those Connecticut residents that know the ins and outs of these matters could recommend which representative would be more wise to contact.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Lisa
The average processing time for a citizenship application is 18 months. I personally wouldn't contact a senator or representative until at least 18 months has passed. I would save that (potential contact) for the future in case you need it regarding something more serious with your application.

This website outlines the steps in the naturalization process

https://citizenpath.com/what-happens...aturalization/

Although it DOES NOT mention that the average time to process is at least 18 months.

In the past before the wide spread use of computers the average process time was 3 years. So believe it or not the USCIS has actually improved.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 AM

On the USCIS website there's a page where one can look up the processing times
For every field office. This case is very much outside the normal processing times.

I would think if 18 months were average it should be reflected in the
Declared processing times of the field office, shouldn't it ?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:35 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,800,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slisa View Post
On the USCIS website there's a page where one can look up the processing times
For every field office. This case is very much outside the normal processing times.

I would think if 18 months were average it should be reflected in the
Declared processing times of the field office, shouldn't it ?
18 months is an average so some times will be longer and some will be shorter.

Your best bet for info is to use the USCIS website and input your case # or receipt #

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

receipt #

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

you can find the receipt # on the receipt notice which is formally known as Form I-797C, Notice of Action

If you non longer have that form and paid the fees with a personal check the receipt number may be on the back of the cancelled check.Most banks keep images of cancelled checks front and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut