Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen25 View Post
My husband and I have been house hunting in Westchester for over a year now and have decided to expand our search to CT. We are looking for a family friendly town with a great school system and a hour or less train commute to Grand Central. Can anyone please give us suggestions?
For short commutes (less than 1 hour) I would second the Noroton Heights area of Darien. Most morning trains express from Stamford (the next stop) which makes it an easier commute. Also possibly Byram/Glenville/Cos Cobb parts of Greenwich (commuting from Greenwich station), but the lower level schools are underperforming in comparison to other towns. With extra commute time your options are opened to New Canaan and Westport as well. In all these towns 850k won't go far but will get you a small starter home that needs some work (at that budget I would rule out needing to consider Stamford/Norwalk unless you require more of a large/turnkey house). What towns in Westchester are you considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
For short commutes (less than 1 hour) I would second the Noroton Heights area of Darien. Most morning trains express from Stamford (the next stop) which makes it an easier commute. Also possibly Byram/Glenville/Cos Cobb parts of Greenwich (commuting from Greenwich station), but the lower level schools are underperforming in comparison to other towns. With extra commute time your options are opened to New Canaan and Westport as well. In all these towns 850k won't go far but will get you a small starter home that needs some work (at that budget I would rule out needing to consider Stamford/Norwalk unless you require more of a large/turnkey house). What towns in Westchester are you considering?
North Stamford and Westhill area is nice

Old 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
You can get somewhere close for that price range but not with those taxes
A $1M house has taxes of between approx $10k-13K in Darien/Greenwich/New Canaan, so it's not unreasonable at all.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Definitely look at Greenwich. $850 will get you a smaller house but your taxes would likely be way less than $10k. Probably closer to $5k.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:31 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
To be honest Nj might better fit your needs.
While the commute would be less, property taxes in northern NJ are higher than Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien or Ridgefield. For an 850k home in a town with top schools, you could be looking at 20-30k in property taxes.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
You can find several options for 850/taxes under 10k in the Cos Cob, Glenville and Byram sections of Greenwich.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
While the commute would be less, property taxes in northern NJ are higher than Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien or Ridgefield. For an 850k home in a town with top schools, you could be looking at 20-30k in property taxes.
Yep. Family of mine lives in Summit, NJ. You can get much more square footage for 850k in Summit than Greenwich, but taxes will run about 1,500 a month in Summit. Their house is probably worth about 600k and I remember them saying their taxes are 15k a year - this was two years ago.

That said, if you get away from the crazy low mill rate towns and head to say, Ridgefield, an 850k house will have similar taxes as a similar house in Jersey - 18-20k.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 10-08-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,002 times
Quiet retired Gramma needs temporary housing in Winsted or 20 miles around there - Has multible cats, no bar scene, no parties, loves nature Gardening hiking. My children & their families live in Winsted. I don't even know my Grandbabies = please help me get home = My husband and I lived in Winsted for about 30 years, spent the last six years taking care of my husband Dave who had Cancer=I am stranded in Florida and just want to come home. Can probably spend 600 a month for rent. Any sugestions or help woud be appreciated. Condition not important - just want to come home!!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:16 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yep. Family of mine lives in Summit, NJ. You can get much more square footage for 850k in Summit than Greenwich, but taxes will run about 1,500 a month in Summit. Their house is probably worth about 600k and I remember them saying their taxes are 15k a year - this was two years ago.

That said, if you get away from the crazy low mill rate towns and head to say, Ridgefield, an 850k house will have similar taxes as a similar house in Jersey - 18-20k.
well, when we looked at NJ several years back, we looked in towns with really good schools and the homes in that 650 to 850k price range all also needed a lot of work - 60/70/80 years old with original windows and/or furnace, a one car detached garage, etc. The first home we looked at was 700k and was like that, and had property taxes that were 23k. I had to look at that number 3 times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it. I bet you could get a new/newer home in Ridgefield that needs little to no work for 850k

Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
well, when we looked at NJ several years back, we looked in towns with really good schools and the homes in that 650 to 850k price range all also needed a lot of work - 60/70/80 years old with original windows and/or furnace, a one car detached garage, etc. The first home we looked at was 700k and was like that, and had property taxes that were 23k. I had to look at that number 3 times just to make sure I wasn't misreading it. I bet you could get a new/newer home in Ridgefield that needs little to no work for 850k
There are many towns in NJ with a similar commute time as Greenwich where that wouldn't be the case. For example, Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut