Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,575,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Q3 WeHart avg sale price was $337K for SF homes and $245K for condos. 280 total units sold, 3rd highest in the state only behind Gold Coasters 1 Stamford, 2 Norwalk, and just ahead of 4 Fairfield. Tops in the state by a mile if you excl FFC. Very popular town it seems.
Average is not a good measure since WH (like many other towns) has a small number of very high priced homes that will mislead. But if it is 337k average OR median for a SF home, that's very low for a town of the quality of WH.

The higher number of units shown may indicate an upward pressure on prices for the future but we're talking about home sales prices, not volume.

The Hartford metro area is the 3rd must undervalued market in the US, citing low housing demand. Source: Forbes, 2016. Or 4th most undervalued housing market in the US according to Barron's.

So not only is it low in terms of absolute value, but also a screaming great value relative to the economic conditions.

Just trying to say something positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:55 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,149,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
we're talking about home sales prices, not volume.
!
I don't care. I was talking about volume to give the lady some additional insight.
High volume = desirability, popularity and most importantly location (borders the largest employment center)

Old 12-22-2016, 03:48 PM

5,962 posts, read 4,952,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElALady View Post
Thanks! There are some awesome perspectives on this board, I'm glad I found it!

Probably relevant to mention that I mostly grew up in CT from age 5-21, but I moved to CA shortly after college and it's amazing how little I feel like I know about the state as an adult. I think growing up somewhere you tend to take things for granted or not think about where you live from all perspectives. I went to high school in Glastonbury and most of the impressions I have of other towns are from playing on sports teams in high school.

We have family in eastern CT (Colchester, Willimantic, Canterbury) and would like to be within relatively painless driving distance (under an hour or so?).

Barring a horrendous housing market crash in the next month or so, we'll be fortunate to be cashing in on a lot of equity in our current home. However, we're moving to CT in large part for a simpler life, so it seems slightly silly to buy the most expensive house we can afford. I have in my head a 300-450k figure for a nice, modest, homey 3-4 bedroom home in an area we like. This obviously rules out the Gold Coast, which is probably further than we want to be from family anyway.
Our home's up for sale and fits the bill! Beautiful golf club area, close to Bishops Corner...

Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 7,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Our home's up for sale and fits the bill! Beautiful golf club area, close to Bishops Corner...
Ha, thanks! We are signing the lease on a home near WH center soon. I'm too scared to jump into a purchase without living there for a bit first.

I do have to say that coming from LA, people are SHOCKED at what ~$400k-ish will buy you in a good school district in CT. I do think the comparison to other metro areas is relevant, and it's certainly a big part of our decision to move back. I don't even think LA is too insane compared to places like SF and NYC - but we are listing our <1,500 square foot home on a 5,500 sq foot lot - which is somewhat outdated, on a busy street in a so-so neighborhood, and zoned to fairly bad schools - for $799k, and expect it to go for over asking. For a decent (but still under 2k sq ft, probably not 100% updated) starter house in a good school district, you're talking $1.2-1.5 million. LA and CA in general certainly have a lot to offer, but at a certain point you have to take a step back and wonder what you are paying for and whether it's worth the long hours you're likely putting in at work, etc.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:44 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Ha, thanks! We are signing the lease on a home near WH center soon. I'm too scared to jump into a purchase without living there for a bit first.

I do have to say that coming from LA, people are SHOCKED at what ~$400k-ish will buy you in a good school district in CT. I do think the comparison to other metro areas is relevant, and it's certainly a big part of our decision to move back. I don't even think LA is too insane compared to places like SF and NYC - but we are listing our <1,500 square foot home on a 5,500 sq foot lot - which is somewhat outdated, on a busy street in a so-so neighborhood, and zoned to fairly bad schools - for $799k, and expect it to go for over asking. For a decent (but still under 2k sq ft, probably not 100% updated) starter house in a good school district, you're talking $1.2-1.5 million. LA and CA in general certainly have a lot to offer, but at a certain point you have to take a step back and wonder what you are paying for and whether it's worth the long hours you're likely putting in at work, etc.
"In CT" makes it sound like you're referring to the whole state. "In Hartford" would be a better choice of words, because once you get to southwestern CT, prices are just as high as most of the west coast - and higher than most Boston suburbs.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
"In CT" makes it sound like you're referring to the whole state. "In Hartford" would be a better choice of words, because once you get to southwestern CT, prices are just as high as most of the west coast - and higher than most Boston suburbs.
True. I really do believe that Hartford is in that sweet spot, in between Boston & NYC, kind of a valley in between the two high real estate cost areas. Only problem is that we don't have the kind of property value appreciation those metros do

Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
True. I really do believe that Hartford is in that sweet spot, in between Boston & NYC, kind of a valley in between the two high real estate cost areas. Only problem is that we don't have the kind of property value appreciation those metros do
Nothing wrong with that - greater Hartford is still one of the highest income metro areas in the nation and the income to cost of living ratio is also one of the best.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Can't fault the logic. We've lived in WH for 9+ yrs and love it. I'm sure you will too. Welcome & good luck!

Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 AM

13 posts, read 7,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How about "in anywhere except from a small handful of towns in the Southwest corner of the state." 😉

Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
How about "in anywhere except from a small handful of towns in the Southwest corner of the state." ��
Actually the majority of Fairfield County is significantly more expensive than anywhere in the Hartford metro. Even the more affordable, outer ring burbs like Ridgefield, Redding, Trumbull, Easton, etc require a much higher entry fee than Hartford's most desirable burbs.

Interesting that you claim to know so little about the area of CT you grew up in - so little that you have to rent before you buy, yet you're now an expert on Fairfield County demographics.

I've been suspicious of your posts ever since the "300-450" request - because those numbers just don't make sense. Now, I'm fairly certain you're not coming here for Hartford area assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut