Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 35,640 times

Advertisements

I've experienced sticker shock on a weekly basis after moving to Connecticut from Illinois 8 months ago, but I just finally bit the bullet and got my CT driver's license and car registration yesterday (since my IL ones finally expired). In IL and Michigan, where I've lived before, a driver's license costs $10-12. I paid $106 yesterday and I'm mystified.. why the big difference?

I can see a 50% increase in cost, which is typical of pretty much everything else (gas, food, insurance, rent, etc.) I've experienced, but this seems way out of proportion and wondered if anyone knew why. My Google-fu is failing me today and I can't find any help with that question, although I did find out that the CT DMV reported a revenue of $419 million dollars in 05-06.

Also does anyone know where I can find information about where this money goes? Does it just go into the state coiffers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Hahahaha....wait till you get your tax bill.

Bottom line: The state of CT will riffle through your wallet any time and anywhere they can and they are NOT shy about it. PERIOD.

Vote accordingly next season.

P.S. They ARE kind enough to have a "public document shredding" program/day for you set up at the capital at YOUR expense though. Just in case you didn't want to spend an extra $20 on a shredder or anything...

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raencloud View Post
I've experienced sticker shock on a weekly basis after moving to Connecticut from Illinois 8 months ago, but I just finally bit the bullet and got my CT driver's license and car registration yesterday (since my IL ones finally expired). In IL and Michigan, where I've lived before, a driver's license costs $10-12. I paid $106 yesterday and I'm mystified.. why the big difference?

I can see a 50% increase in cost, which is typical of pretty much everything else (gas, food, insurance, rent, etc.) I've experienced, but this seems way out of proportion and wondered if anyone knew why. My Google-fu is failing me today and I can't find any help with that question, although I did find out that the CT DMV reported a revenue of $419 million dollars in 05-06.

Also does anyone know where I can find information about where this money goes? Does it just go into the state coiffers?
We were outraged at the DMV because it took them three months to get our titles back. I called at two months and they told me that they were just now coming up to speed with other states on turn around time. I think his words were something like coming into the light speed (some Star Trek reference) lol. Every other state has only taken 4 to 6 weeks. Gosh wonder what they do with all the tax money here.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Bottom line: The state of CT will riffle through your wallet any time and anywhere they can and they are NOT shy about it. PERIOD.

Vote accordingly next season.

P.S. They ARE kind enough to have a "public document shredding" program/day for you set up at the capital at YOUR expense though. Just in case you didn't want to spend an extra $20 on a shredder or anything...
Wow, you CT folks are bitter about this tax business as you're probably the 40th person in the 8 months I've lived here to point it out to me. Where does THAT money go? To the city that assesses it? Or to the state?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Gosh wonder what they do with all the tax money here.
I'd love to know -- the public posting of the state budget is absolutely no help. It's not like the Willimantic DMV was well-appointed or updated to give any indication of where my ginormous fees were going..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 41,685 times
I finally went in for my Ct license last week. I was shocked to see that it costs even more than California!!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatze13 View Post
I finally went in for my Ct license last week. I was shocked to see that it costs even more than California!!
Such a small state for all that money, don't you think?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raencloud View Post
Wow, you CT folks are bitter about this tax business as you're probably the 40th person in the 8 months I've lived here to point it out to me. Where does THAT money go? To the city that assesses it? Or to the state?
When 25% of my mortgage is taxes (Yes 25%) on top of a heavy bill on my vehicles just for the privilage of owning them, there is about $.29 per gallon gross receipts tax on fuel, a state income tax that we were told "never would be" now increasing 10%, sales tax at 6%, heavy taxes on utilities, $250 a year entity tax on my business just for having filed "LLC" paperwork, and state/local fees out of control etc etc all while we are in a budget surplus...you bet we are.

Welcome to the state of entitlement.

I download the state budget every year and it used to be "open" and "upfront" but lately they have complicated it to the point that no sane person will sit down and sort it out. Go figure.

Ironically I got a letter from the city a couple days ago that my property taxes will be going up as "phase II" is rolled in.

And don't even get me started about the 6 million allocated to Amen (sp?) and Rell and another person who I can't bring to mind right now soley for political spending...Can anyone say CORRUPTION with a capital C?

They used Rowland as a good smoke screen for a little while but the reality is 90% of them are NOT out for YOUR best interests...

Edit: Sorry, property taxes go to the city. The state acts like a rich uncle to the towns more than not though.

Last edited by JViello; 02-27-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Such a small state for all that money, don't you think?
Next time vote for the person who has "Lower taxes, smaller government" in his speach -regardless of R or D in front of his name...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's what I was going to say, just wait, it will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut