Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times

Advertisements

I do believe you might miss what you had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 07:50 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennay417 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions so far!

I am afraid it will be a pretty big culture shock, especially with the cold weather. I'm going to do my best to be adventurous and experience CT for what it has to offer.

He will be making about 70k and I do not have a job as of yet since this all happened pretty quickly. I currently work for a neurosurgeons office in Birmingham (not a nurse) and am hoping to find something similar.

We are hoping to not go over $1500/month.
FWIW, cold weather is bearable if its not windy. CT is also blessed in that we still receive a lot of sunshine even during the winter months. That helps a lot IMO.

As for what you're looking for West Hartford and/or Middletown are probably the only 2 towns that match your requirements. Both locations will have bad commutes to Vernon though especially in bad weather, so you should stick to the east side of the river.

The one town no one has mentioned yet is Glastonbury. It has lots of shopping and amenties similar to West Hartford, but is more rural. Glastonbury also has some nice parks for jogging, walking, hiking, etc.

There are new apts going up in Glastonbury that may fit your bill, but I'm not sure when they will be completed. One is called Flanagans Landing - not sure if its accepting tenants yet.

Flanagan’s Landing a go for Glastonbury | HartfordBusiness.com

Luxury Glastonbury Apartment Development Gets New Name, Design Changes - Hartford Courant

There's also two new apt complexes in Rocky Hill which is south of Hartford, but both of those are NOT close to a downtown area, although one is attached to a new shopping center/mall.

Apartments For Rent In Rocky Hill CT | Alterra Rocky Hill

There is a gym across the street from this complex that you can walk to. Other than that there's really nothing in this area within walking distance.

Apartments in Rocky Hill CT | Montage | Rocky Hill

This complex is brand new and behind a shopping plaza/mall which isn't finished yet.

Locations south of Hartford such as Rocky Hill can have decent commutes to locations east of Hartford because you don't have to drive thru Hartford itself. You would actually drive around it to the east.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:48 PM

752 posts, read 552,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just a warning.....the Mills apartments, or any converted mill apartment building for that matter, have TERRIBLE soundproofing between units. You can hear everything through the walls and ceilings, and your neighbors can hear you. Also, with these converted mill apartment buildings, you have to do a LONG walk, in some cases, from where you parked your car, to your actual apartment. The parking lot is huge and the halls are long and big, so it takes time, which sucks for carrying in groceries, etc. And the ceilings are so high, so it takes more effort to heat, which drives up your bill (heat is not included).

An excellent apartment complex is Woodbrook Townhomes (part of Santini Villa Apartments) in Vernon. The units have concrete between them, so they are basically soundproof. You can park right at your doorstep, and they have finished basements, washer & dryer and they are just great. Heat and water is included in the rent. They were recently renovated, too. Very nice, very safe area. The setting, however, is suburban, so you're not going to have nightlife and all that stuff nearby, but you could always drive in to Hartford or something. 20 minutes away.
I live in a converted mill condo in Milford... Don't have such problems.

It depends on the property... There are definitely ones that have the problem that Nep described, but others don't. I wouldn't dismiss this type of property out-of-hand as they can be very nice...

Old 12-10-2016, 02:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post

It depends on the property... There are definitely ones that have the problem that Nep described, but others don't. I wouldn't dismiss this type of property out-of-hand as they can be very nice...
Nep is right about those mill condos in Manchester. Another condo that has the same issue is the "Soap Factory" condos in Glastonbury.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post

There are always exceptions. Duh.

But I know for a fact that the Clock Tower Mills in Manchester, and a few other mill converted apartment buildings in the Manchester/Vernon/Glastonbury area have TERRIBLE soundproofing between units. I'm basing this on people I know who have lived there, as well as internet reviews, who overwhelmingly said the same thing.

I've lived in MANY different types of apartment buildings and complexes over the years. And hands down, the best for soundproofing issues are usually townhouse/villa style apartments. Side by side units, with no one above or below you. Every single place I've ever lived that has units above and below (garden/flat style) have sound issues between units. Some places worse than others, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut