Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM

34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengupta View Post
Thanks much for the quick info that was helpful.But when am doing a bit of search about Norwalk school ratings are not that good. What do you say about Trumbull? Any inputs.
Thanks
You are correct about Norwalk schools not performing as well as other towns in the area. Trumbull is a great town and has great schools but the commute is going to be difficult and it is not all that diverse. I would start closer by checking Wilton and Ridgefield, then head north and east to Bethel and Fairfield. Then check Trumbull. IF you know someone that lives in Trumbull, then maybe check there first but I would recommend trying the towns in the order I gave. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,847,243 times
I don't have kids or anything and I was fortunate to go to Granby public schools, which are very good, but how can one town have better schools than another? Like, how can that even happen? Teachers are teachers. Curriculum is curriculum.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM

830 posts, read 1,081,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't have kids or anything and I was fortunate to go to Granby public schools, which are very good, but how can one town have better schools than another? Like, how can that even happen? Teachers are teachers. Curriculum is curriculum.
Resources (budgets) & parental involvement.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:35 PM

21,546 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
This, exactly.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:42 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,154,615 times
Quote:
No kidding, but I think Nep is assuming parental involvement is a given. Doubt we have many ghetto degenerates milking the system coming for relocation advice on this forum.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM

21,546 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
No kidding, but I think Nep is assuming parental involvement is a given. Doubt we have many ghetto degenerates milking the system coming for relocation advice on this forum.
Everyone has access to a computer nowadays!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,277,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengupta View Post
Hi everyone
We and our kid ( 9yr) are relocating to CT from India, husband’s office is in Long Ridge Road Stamford.

Can anyone please suggest some good district/location where I can stay with my family?
I know houses /apartments near to office are very expensive, so we not very particular in staying close to his office.

1. Most important good school system for my kid ,this will be her first time in US,so preferably looking for some school having
A) good offering in terms of academics, physical activities, gifted program.
B) diversity for her to adjust easily. (know there are many Indian communities around stamford)

2. Not too much far/commute time to office ( around 20-30 miles).
3. Looking for something around $2000-$2200 as rent.
Few of my friends where suggesting Trumbull, North salem, Wilton.

Thanks in advance
Sengupta
I grew up in Stamford and lived off of Long Ridge Road near Westhill HS so I know your plight well. When I got married 20 years ago I moved to Trumbull. Most of my cousins ended up in Trumbull and Monroe and we all worked in Stamford when we first bought our houses. Trumbull and Monroe have good schools. You should be able to find something in your price range but it won't be a big house. The commute during rush hour will be long (at least and hour) in time even though it is about 20-30 miles. My husband and I were able to change our hours and we would leave no later than Trumbull by 6:15 am and leave Stamford by 3:30-3:45 but that was over 10 years ago. On a good day that was about 30 to 45 minutes back than. Now it is even worse at those hours.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:33 PM

34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Quote:
IT is even more than that. It also has to do with quality of facilities including things like computers and books. The better school systems do not shy away from providing the best or from keeping their things up to date.

The better school systems also tend to have smaller class sizes and offer some of the extras like art and music. They will offer more class choices at the high school level so students can take things that are not offered in other schools.

Then there is the support staff which includes Guidance Counselors. A friend is a Guidance Counselor in an inner city high school and has over 400 students to assist. At Glastonbury High School each counselor has less than 200 students. A coworkers daughter was preparing college applications the same time as my child. My child had multiple scheduled meetings with his counselor while his daughter had two. She got no assistance in selecting schools or majors or help with preparing the applications and recommendations. My child did. They live in a town that does not have good schools.

Another thing to keep in mind that some of the best teachers will seek out the better performing school systems just so they have more motivated kids. That also makes a difference. Jay

Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,945 times
Quote:
This is true. But Norwalk and Stamford likely have more resources than Granby.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:12 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,604,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
IT is even more than that. It also has to do with quality of facilities including things like computers and books. The better school systems do not shy away from providing the best or from keeping their things up to date.

The better school systems also tend to have smaller class sizes and offer some of the extras like art and music. They will offer more class choices at the high school level so students can take things that are not offered in other schools.

Then there is the support staff which includes Guidance Counselors. A friend is a Guidance Counselor in an inner city high school and has over 400 students to assist. At Glastonbury High School each counselor has less than 200 students. A coworkers daughter was preparing college applications the same time as my child. My child had multiple scheduled meetings with his counselor while his daughter had two. She got no assistance in selecting schools or majors or help with preparing the applications and recommendations. My child did. They live in a town that does not have good schools.

Another thing to keep in mind that some of the best teachers will seek out the better performing school systems just so they have more motivated kids. That also makes a difference. Jay
I don't agree with this. While more motivated kids are certainly easier to teach, that doesn't mean the better teachers seek them out. Some teachers actually like more challenging kids. Good resources are hard to turn down too, but I know quite a few teachers who have left the prosperous Ffld County schools due to the commute. As for college prep, my kid scored huge with assistance and guidance from his "not good" public school. Teaching kids involves so many factors that even kids in Glastonbury can fall through the cracks. Judging schools superficially is simply not helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut