Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:14 PM

104 posts, read 99,578 times

Advertisements

My son & DIL bought their first home in Trumbull two years ago & have small children. They like the large parks, the library, the community festivities offered by Nichols Farm Historic District. They like going to Jones Family Farms in Shelton, a 15 minute drive, for pumpkin picking & fall hayrides & Christmas trees & other holiday fun. They rave about the Pequonnock River Trail -- great for running, taking the kids for a stroll, for natural beauty. They like the easy access to various highways for travel getaways, & I think they're only 10 or 15 minutes from the Bridgeport station, which has been great for friends visiting from NYC. They love exploring New Haven's museums & restaurants. They find Trumbull to be down to earth, friendly, easy to live in, with good access to a number of things. If they didn't have such awful commutes to Stamford, Trumbull would be perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:24 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
HH Income Trumbull $108,591
HH Income Fairfield $105,059
(income source is city-data)

I am sorry, but if you don't understand the meaning in the numbers above I can't help you with that.
With a masters in Finance and a CFA, I don't think I need help with that.
Just giving it an apples to apples perspective. Can't compare a homogeneous town with a 60K pop metropolis fairly.

You're points on home prices and quieter liflestyles are valid.
Q3 Avg Sales Prices
Fairfield - $736K (all zips)
Trumbull - $403K

Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contador View Post
My son & DIL bought their first home in Trumbull two years ago & have small children. They like the large parks, the library, the community festivities offered by Nichols Farm Historic District. They like going to Jones Family Farms in Shelton, a 15 minute drive, for pumpkin picking & fall hayrides & Christmas trees & other holiday fun. They rave about the Pequonnock River Trail -- great for running, taking the kids for a stroll, for natural beauty. They like the easy access to various highways for travel getaways, & I think they're only 10 or 15 minutes from the Bridgeport station, which has been great for friends visiting from NYC. They love exploring New Haven's museums & restaurants. They find Trumbull to be down to earth, friendly, easy to live in, with good access to a number of things. If they didn't have such awful commutes to Stamford, Trumbull would be perfect.

You can't appreciate Trumbull until you live here. My neighborhood backs up to the Pequonnock River Trail in northern part of Trumbull and it is awesome. The Memorial day parade is like a little piece of Americana going down Main Street past all the historic homes. I can sit on my front steps and see the parade and that is awesome too. Trumbull HS has the best HS marching band in the nation.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
With a masters in Finance and a CFA, I don't think I need help with that.
Just giving it an apples to apples perspective. Can't compare a homogeneous town with a 60K pop metropolis fairly.

You're points on home prices and quieter liflestyles are valid.
Q3 Avg Sales Prices
Fairfield - $736K (all zips)
Trumbull - $403K
Compare the high income zip codes you posted in Fairfield to the lower income areas in Fairfield where the OP will be living in the $400,000 to $550,000 range.

How is that $736,000 figure coming to be? Example to the OP......

2 houses in Fairfield $1,200,000 and $300,000. The average is $750,000.
2 houses in Trumbull $300,000 and $500,000. The average is $400,000.

There is great income/wealth disparity in Fairfield while Trumbull income/wealth is more homogeneous. The OP will not be living in the areas with the million+ dollar homes so I don't know why you think that is important. The area (and schools) in Fairfield where the op will be living is more important than where the wealthy live in Fairfield.

This is to the OP. Put in your price range in Fairfield on realtor.com and tell me what you see and how close the houses are to the southern Bridgeport border. Now do the same for Trumbull. Make a comparison.

Last edited by CTartist; 12-14-2016 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM

104 posts, read 99,578 times
Quote:

You can't appreciate Trumbull until you live here. My neighborhood backs up to the Pequonnock River Trail in northern part of Trumbull and it is awesome. The Memorial day parade is like a little piece of Americana going down Main Street past all the historic homes. I can sit on my front steps and see the parade and that is awesome too. Trumbull HS has the best HS marching band in the nation.
Forgot to mention the Bridgeport ferry is just 15 minutes away. We took a family day trip last summer to Long Island -- went to fabulous Jones Beach, ate dinner in charming Port Jefferson, had a delightful twilight ride home on the ferry, then back to Trumbull. The ferry was an expense, but it was a great mini vacation & worth every penny.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Compare the high income zip codes you posted in Fairfield to the lower income areas in Fairfield where the OP will be living in the $400,000 to $550,000 range.

How is that $736,000 figure coming to be? Example to the OP......

2 houses in Fairfield $1,200,000 and $300,000. The average is $750,000.
2 houses in Trumbull $300,000 and $500,000. The average is $400,000.

There is great income/wealth disparity in Fairfield while Trumbull income/wealth is more homogeneous. The OP will not be living in the areas with the million+ dollar homes so I don't know why you think that is important. The area (and schools) in Fairfield where the op will be living is more important than where the wealthy live in Fairfield.

This is to the OP. Put in your price range in Fairfield on realtor.com and tell me what you see and how close the houses are to the southern Bridgeport border. Now do the same for Trumbull. Make a comparison.
I mentioned earlier that youre points on this were valid, so I agree. Sorry you had to type all that.
Stratfield section is a good trumbull comparable, middle clas and not a low income area. OP can do better than Tunxis Hill and the crappy low income part of trumbull that borders bridgeport.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I mentioned earlier that youre points on this were valid, so I agree. Sorry you had to type all that.
Stratfield section is a good trumbull comparable, middle clas and not a low income area. OP can do better than Tunxis Hill and the crappy low income part of trumbull that borders bridgeport.
Huh, despite that the houses in Tunxis Hill are smaller there's a good bit going on for it... it's still Fairfield after all

Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 AM

173 posts, read 220,118 times
Quote:

I am sorry, but if you don't understand the meaning in the numbers above I can't help you with that.

So if there are are zip codes with a very HIGH incomes in Fairfield (like on the water, Greenfield Hill & Southport) then there must be some very LOW income areas in Fairfield too to get that average. Trumbull is pretty homogeneous when it comes to income. With a budget of $400,000 to $550,000 the OP won't be living anywhere near the high income areas of Fairfield anyway. If the OP does buy in Fairfield in her price range she need to check the schools in that specific area because her children will not be going to school with the high income children.

This is to the OP. If you are looking for the best schools compare the schools in your price range in Fairfield to the same price range in Trumbull. I am 99.9% sure Trumbull schools will be better in your price range.
Good to know Thank you

Old 12-15-2016, 07:53 AM

173 posts, read 220,118 times
Quote:
I believe Trumbull's school are equal or a maybe a little better than Fairfield. This change has happened within the last 2-3 years so people may not be aware if they still have the same notions of the schools systems from 5+ years.

"Trumbull is currently outperforming most schools in its District Reference Group B, including Fairfield, Newtown, West Hartford, and Cheshire. With an average score of 88.6 and a DRG B mean of 87.8, Trumbull stands only three percentage points away from the DRG B leading school district of Madison, who scored a 91.2"

Superintendent presents positive assessment

Fairfield and Trumbull are very close when it's comes to schools and household income. The major differences are access to metro north trains, beaches and Fairfield is much busier with the post road and I-95 running through it.

If you want peace and quiet Trumbull is a nice town. If you like more hustle & bustle and beaches go for Fairfield. I have 2 kids 4 and 1 Is there things to do for them in Trumbul and as they grow will there be things for them still to do as teenagers and where do teenagers now do in Trumbull?

I live in Trumbull but I originally wanted to purchase a house in Fairfield 20 years ago. Now 20 years later we prefer the more serene feeling of Trumbull to Fairfield. 20-25 years ago Fairfield was drastically different and more quiet too.
Question I have 2 young kids 4 and 1 Is there things to do for young kids and as they grow will there be things to do as teenagers also what do teenagers today do in Trumbull?
Thanks

Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
Question I have 2 young kids 4 and 1 Is there things to do for young kids and as they grow will there be things to do as teenagers also what do teenagers today do in Trumbull?
Thanks
They do the same thing kids do in Fairfield for gods sake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut