Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 AM

487 posts, read 536,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Ah 94', was it the federal that was 92' then? Either way, point is not to interpret as pre 2012-13 ban. It's incredible to me how such convoluted and arbitrary laws can make someone a Felon in NY, NJ, CA and CT. I can't imagine how many people don't even know the amount of laws they're breaking by moving here with the collection they "inherited from daddy".
Yes, its all very convoluted.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/c...tm#sec_53-202a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:46 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
Jo-Jo's in Southington should be able to help you, and can reliably do any modifications to other firearms.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:02 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Yes, its all very convoluted.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
Oh right, right, right. My mistake Officer, I was thinking of 53-202B subdivision FIVE. I apologize, please don't arrest me for felony firearms possession charges, I just moved here from [insert 1 of 45 states here] 2 months ago and had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
Jo-Jo's in Southington should be able to help you, and can reliably do any modifications to other firearms.
+1 jojos. On my way there tomorrow to pick up a new gun. Two new ones actually--I always buy two when the one I actually wanted turns out to be illegal in CT, this way there's net change is always at least one more "gun on the streets" as a result of their laws hehe. I look forward to the days when my budget can support 3+ for every one...

Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Can you guys do the 80%er ARs?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Oh right, right, right. My mistake Officer, I was thinking of 53-202B subdivision FIVE. I apologize, please don't arrest me for felony firearms possession charges, I just moved here from [insert 1 of 45 states here] 2 months ago and had no idea.
This is EXACTLY why we need a national reciprocity CCW bill.

Luckily, many think there is a good chance of this happening within the next few years with the new administration AND congress, because we are all soooo much safer when law abiding citizens who have CCW permits suddenly become felons, simply from crossing into a state that doesn't respect the 2nd amendment

Old 12-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can you guys do the 80%er ARs?
Not sure because there is no registration mechanism in place. Could you build it to be compliant? Maybe, however, I vaguely recall fixed mags or spur stocks being a no-go, but I'm far from expert there--I'm just stock piling the rifle budget for when I move and will drop 5k the day I'm out. Though I imagine many of the 80% of folks who did not comply (that's correct, only ~20% registered in CT lol ) have built and will continue to build from 80% receivers--oops no sales tax on $1,000+ rifles. Then there's all the people who moved their guns out of state and once the water settled and it was exposed that registration was an epic failure, likely moved all those guns back in state.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
This is EXACTLY why we need a national reciprocity CCW bill.

Luckily, many think there is a good chance of this happening within the next few years with the new administration AND congress, because we are all soooo much safer when law abiding citizens who have CCW permits suddenly become felons, simply from crossing into a state that doesn't respect the 2nd amendment
Indeed, this is huge and if we can get congress to push through will almost certainly pass with control of both chambers of congress, executive office and soon to be courts. It makes me cringe that I have to leave my gun at home when traveling out of state, or risk ruining my entire life and career. With my wife now pregnant with my first born, it becomes quite the moral conundrum and makes me absolutely despise where I live.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Indeed, this is huge and if we can get congress to push through will almost certainly pass with control of both chambers of congress, executive office and soon to be courts. It makes me cringe that I have to leave my gun at home when traveling out of state, or risk ruining my entire life and career. With my wife now pregnant with my first born, it becomes quite the moral conundrum and makes me absolutely despise where I live.

As an ideal legal substitute to a firearm, I'd definitely recommend carrying this when traveling out of state.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Red-Pep...pper+gel&psc=1

This is much better than pepper spray since you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it back at you.

In fact, I prefer this to a firearm myself, simply because it will incapacitate an assailant almost as much as a gun, but will not kill them or cause permanent injury, which means that I'm NOT at all going to hesitate to use it if I feel even the least bit threatened unlike a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut