Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The NY Influence extends well into New Haven County, right up to New Haven, IMO. Milford is way more influenced by NY than Bethel.
At the same time, the North Shore of Long Island and parts of Westchester, have an undeniably New England or Connecticut influence.

The South Shore of LI is more like parts of New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 AM

4,315 posts, read 4,167,551 times
Everybody is skirting the issue of defining "influence." My "highway sign" joke didn't ignite anything, so I will make an attempt to define the NYC influence.

1- Economic: earning your dollar in NYC, or from doing business with NYC entities.
2- Transportation: commuting every day to NYC via public transit.
3- Cultural: emulating NYC art, shows
4- Emulating NYC Psyche -- face-paced, go-go, hustle & bustle, gotta have it now. Mixed in with peddling your family and friends for money or help.
5- Being a former NYC resident. "Once a NYer, always a NYers."

If you have any of these things, then you are under the influence. The influence being personal is one argument, yet there are patterns,

Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Everybody is skirting the issue of defining "influence." My "highway sign" joke didn't ignite anything, so I will make an attempt to define the NYC influence.

1- Economic: earning your dollar in NYC, or from doing business with NYC entities.
4- Emulating NYC Psyche -- face-paced, go-go, hustle & bustle, gotta have it now. Mixed in with peddling your family and friends for money or help.

If you have any of these things, then you are under the influence. The influence being personal is one argument, yet there are patterns,
Agree. The town I live in doesn't match any of your 1-4 criteria, but number 5 almost 100%. You'd be hard pressed to find a family in New Fairfield who wasn't originally from NY - be it Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, or Westchester Off the top of my head I can count on one hand friends of ours in town who are native to this area, and even in those instances, their parents were originally from NY and moved here in the '70s.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
At the same time, the North Shore of Long Island and parts of Westchester, have an undeniably New England or Connecticut influence.

The South Shore of LI is more like parts of New Jersey.
This is so true....

Old 12-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
To Start,

#3: The Planning Regions of the State, where NY dominance corresponds to SW CT *roughly*. These have MORE power than counties as these actually regulate stuff whereas counties in all of CT (and RI!) don't even have governments...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Jr4IdtKgn9...ng.regions.GIF
I believe the planing regions have consolidated and that there are far fewer than illustrated in the ^ link. For example, I'm pretty sure Housatonic and Southwestern have combined into a new "Western," with maybe one or two towns from the previous councils either leaving or joining the new western council. Would be interesting to see if the new council maps support your theory.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM

4,315 posts, read 4,167,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Agree. The town I live in doesn't match any of your 1-4 criteria, but number 5 almost 100%. You'd be hard pressed to find a family in New Fairfield who wasn't originally from NY - be it Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, or Westchester Off the top of my head I can count on one hand friends of ours in town who are native to this area, and even in those instances, their parents were originally from NY and moved here in the '70s.
I hear some people in NYC say that NF is still undiscovered by NYers. Your post made that assumption laughable.

Actually some former NYers seniors in Florida hail from New Fairfield. Parents of a colleague fly their plane out of Sherman's airport to the Gulf Coast. NYers thru and thru. They also have a home on the Candlewood lake somewhere. They live off their Union pensions.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I hear some people in NYC say that NF is still undiscovered by NYers. Your post made that assumption laughable.

Actually some former NYers seniors in Florida hail from New Fairfield. Parents of a colleague fly their plane out of Sherman's airport to the Gulf Coast. NYers thru and thru. They also have a home on the Candlewood lake somewhere. They live off their Union pensions.
Yep - and Candlewood Lake has everything to do with it. Popular summer vacation house location for many NYers in the 60s and 70s. Many of those children moved here permanently when they became adults to raise their families. Happened with me -- I used to come up with my friends family in the summer. That's the only reason it was ever in my radar. Nowadays you also have a lot of Westchester transplants - commute is still easy to White Plains etc. and home prices and property taxes are a fraction of the cost for young families

Old 12-31-2016, 05:30 PM

21,487 posts, read 27,723,916 times
One thing to remember is the sphere of NYC business influence. MANY Fairfield County businesses (and a few outside of FFC) are there because of proximity to NYC. They are satellites, they have relocated, or they are making use of lower overhead costs but still do a ton of business in NYC, with NYC partners, vendors, clients, etc.

I know I can say that for every company I've worked for, the above has been true. I work in a predominately NYC-dominated industry. Many of my former FFC coworkers lived up here in Milford or Shelton. So yeah, we feel that NYC influence.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 PM

953 posts, read 581,082 times
Quote:

Well, I think these are good for smaller cities. But with NYC it is such a prominent and important place that *everywhere* you can find people who try to emulate NYC culture. So many movies, books, and other forms of art are centered here. Also, #3 is more general of the North. Boston is just as agressive of a city as NYC (M*******s!).

And, as for #5, If someone from NYC moved away 50 years ago to Cali, would you still consider them NYC influenced??

Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,002,886 times
The true border is where the percentage of Red Sox fans outnumber the percentage of Yankee fans.

This happens around Torrington/Waterbury

The Yankees-Red Sox Rivalry's Dividing Line - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut