Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Oh , the reasons are many:

...not wanting to live and die alone

....wanting kids w a single woman...

....familial and or social pressure...

....needing a home base of having something or someone to call home..

....familial traditions...

Etc, etc
Have you heard of Darwin? It's hard to resist basic instincts sharpened and culled by millions of years of hard-life evolution. Those who did, didn't survive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Have you heard of Darwin? It's hard to resist basic instincts sharpened and culled by millions of years of hard-life evolution. Those who did, didn't survive.
Even the ones that didn't are all dead now. In the long run everything balances out.

Anyway, I always thought this area of the country would never top a ranking on infidelity. With the major emphasis on a sanitized family life and values when people make decisions regarding where to live, the strong image of family oriented communities somehow creates a shock when the area appears leading a list of inmorality.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Even the ones that didn't are all dead now. In the long run everything balances out.

Anyway, I always thought this area of the country would never top a ranking on infidelity. With the major emphasis on a sanitized family life and values when people make decisions regarding where to live, the strong image of family oriented communities somehow creates a shock when the area appears leading a list of inmorality.
CT is an "image" state, just like NJ and lower NY... right up there with Miami or Los Angeles. Look at how many BMWs, Mercedes etc you see - how many of those are 100% financed? CT used to be a state of frugality but nowadays it's VERY pretentious and all about image. With that comes inflated self worth and infidelity.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM

417 posts, read 600,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
CT is an "image" state, just like NJ and lower NY... right up there with Miami or Los Angeles. Look at how many BMWs, Mercedes etc you see - how many of those are 100% financed? CT used to be a state of frugality but nowadays it's VERY pretentious and all about image. With that comes inflated self worth and infidelity.
While I agree CT is becoming increasingly materialistic, especially in lower FFC, it is by no metric "right up there" with LA and Miami is materialism. A notably higher proportion of people here can actually afford those nice cars than in LA or Miami where a lot of people live through the pretense of wealth- which is more in line with the "image" concept you are describing.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
While I agree CT is becoming increasingly materialistic, especially in lower FFC, it is by no metric "right up there" with LA and Miami is materialism. A notably higher proportion of people here can actually afford those nice cars than in LA or Miami where a lot of people live through the pretense of wealth- which is more in line with the "image" concept you are describing.
I know it's from 2011, and I think CT has gotten much worse since then, but average spending on personal care, CT ranked the most materialistic state (by a LOT). CA ranked 5.

RANKED: America's Most Materialistic States - Business Insider

We also rank pretty damn high in personal CC debt, higher than CA.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...rd-debt-7.aspx

So according to the stats, CT is pretty darn materialistic where people love to spend/finance for image purposes.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
With these wealthy types:

Why even get married in the first place?

Because of divorce and the way the laws are mostly woman biased: For "him" big $ risk and very little if any reward.

"His" monies could be used much more efficiently imho.

"A fool and his money".
I used to have relatives in FF Cty. The man wanted a pretty trophy wife so he married my cousin. He liked showing off so he showered her with fancy cars, a large mansion, lavish travel. He's dead now and his various women are fighting over the inheritance. He had it all rigged so that my cousin had to fight to get anything and the grown kids are divided into hateful factions over who gets what. He had a great life but for the family it was not a pretty picture.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to have relatives in FF Cty. The man wanted a pretty trophy wife so he married my cousin. He liked showing off so he showered her with fancy cars, a large mansion, lavish travel. He's dead now and his various women are fighting over the inheritance. He had it all rigged so that my cousin had to fight to get anything and the grown kids are divided into hateful factions over who gets what. He had a great life but for the family it was not a pretty picture.
Perfect on the outside, disaster on the inside... that's a lot of families. Goes to show nobody leads a perfect life.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
True post road in Fairfield and Westport is parade of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche suv, 2016 Lexus some spill into Orange, Hamden, Seymour, Milford etc

Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
True post road in Fairfield and Westport is parade of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche suv, 2016 Lexus some spill into Orange, Hamden, Seymour, Milford etc
Yeah a friend lives in Seymour, lots of luxury cars on the main strip there, and Seymour is a middle class town!!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Even the ones that didn't are all dead now.
Plenty of people who marry are still alive. Besides, marriage is driven even more by women. Evolution has cultivated in women the most basic instinct - procreation, having babies, furthering the species. Those who didn't, didn't get to pass on their genes.

For most women, marrying the best husband they can, creating a stable family of two biological parents creates the best chances for the offspring to survive as the fittest.

This is the most important driver for marriages. Previous post mentioned every superficial reason, but not the existential one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut