Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely look into Inwood @DigitalMilford; the rents seem to be pretty reasonable there- is it a safe area?

As far as Brooklyn and Hoboken/Jersey City go, the rents don't seem to be much cheaper than midtown and the travel time is a good 40+ mins. I can't really justify the minor savings given those commute times.

I do like the idea of living at home for a few months and testing the waters; I guess I am just a bit apprehensive having gotten used to the urban lifestyle (in the SF area). Do you guys have any pointers for the social scene in lower FFC, particularly any venues/clubs for 20-somethings? My parents moved to Westport within the last year, and given most of my time has been spent interning or in school in California, I haven't had much time to get acquainted with the area.
Clubs and bars in Downtown Stamford/Downtown New Haven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 03:38 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,723,916 times
At your age, there is really no point to do that commute. Those of us that own homes and/or have families have more of a reason to schlep.

Sure, it's not that bad if your work is close to GCT. I do the commute from Milford 3-4 days a week on average and I survive. Westport is almost 30 minutes shorter.

Look at Astoria (easy commute and affordable by NYC standards), upper Manhattan, or even Stamford/Westchester if you need to be closer. Get a roommate if you're concerned with cost. A monthly pass and parking at Westport will be $500+ anyway.

I would not recommend Brooklyn and Hoboken for a commute near GCT. Brooklyn is expensive and a longer ride than Astoria/LIC, and Hoboken would be long too and would require multiple modes of transportation.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Living at home to save money gives you a big leg up and doesn't have to be permanent. Why not commute for 6 months then move into the city? You'll have time to figure out where you want to be and who you want to live with.
This is also good advice...

Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM

811 posts, read 1,728,963 times
I work on Park Ave at about 51st street and commute out of Norwalk. It's not bad at all. You CAN sleep on the train in the mornings, afternoons can get a little rowdy. I sleep, eat, drink, read a book, take in news on my mobile, work on laptop. It's about 1hr -1hr 10 min most days so it's actually quite a bit of time to do a few things. Make it your time. But you don't have to head straight home after work, you can hit up a bar with co-workers or any friends working in the city with you, for a drink or two and then go home. So you don't totally give up social life. Going into the city is pretty easy on weekends.

South Norwalk's got a decent little social scene going and growing.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Yeesh. That's 11 hours a week commuting.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,475,112 times
Are you coming from Cal? Berkeley isn't THAT urban - comparable to something like Westport honestly, aside from the slightly longer (and more expensive) commute into the city. I agree with others that it doesn't really hurt to stay with the parents for awhile until you figure out your preference. I predict you might eventually move closer to the city because the social scene/dating is just much bigger there, especially if you're young and in finance. But no harm in staying with the rents to save money and make up your mind. The only drag to me would be the long commute and likely having to drive (and buy a car or coordinate with the parents).

Have you looked into the younger towns closer to Manhattan - like Stamford or White Plains? Much cheaper than living in the city and shorter commute. I lived in White Plains, right next to the train station, and was able to walk to most things I needed. There were a ton of young people and decent night life. And the best part... the commute into GCT is only 30-ish minutes, with trains coming every few minutes during rush hour. It was about as convenient as it gets for living outside Manhattan.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 01-22-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 02:11 PM

741 posts, read 539,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely look into Inwood @DigitalMilford; the rents seem to be pretty reasonable there- is it a safe area?
Inwood is generally a safe area-- safer than many in the city. It is an urban neighborhood with pockets of poverty. Due to the lower rents it has been attractive to many younger people (and many older people). I like the neighborhood a lot.

This should give you a flavor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=echnNasggEc

Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeesh. That's 11 hours a week commuting.
I have coworkers in Brooklyn that spend around an hour each way to get to our office. It's really common to have an hour+ commute in NYC.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:00 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have coworkers in Brooklyn that spend around an hour each way to get to our office. It's really common to have an hour+ commute in NYC.
That doesn't make it any less taxing.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That doesn't make it any less taxing.
It's really not that bad on the train. You can get other things done. Much worse in a car/traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut