Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,177,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Most of the teens I know in Fairfield hang out at the beach or Lake Mohegan. Lake Mohegan is close to Black Rock Turnpike so it likely is the closest to where you will be living. A season's pass to Lake Mohegan for a non-resident is $20 but if you are staying with your grandparents it will cost only $10. Fairfield has four public beaches on Long Island Sound: Jennings, Penfield, South Pine Creek and Southport. Jenning's is the closest to the east side of town though Penfield is not a lot further.
actually, 5 beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
actually, 5 beaches
You are right. How could I forget Sasco Beach. I used to go there a lot. Jay

Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 AM

94 posts, read 54,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Black Rock is Bridgeport but it is one of the safest parts of the city. In fact, many of Bridgeport's safest neighborhoods border Fairfield. I believe that CTyank means he lives near Black Rock Turnpike, not Black Rock.

Keep something in mind though, if you take a bike to the mall in Trumbull, the most direct route is through the North End of Bridgeport. The mall is right on the Bridgeport town line so it is kind of hard to get from Fairfield to the mall on a bike without going through at least a section of the city. I would not worry about it because it is safe and most people don't even realize that they are in Bridgeport. I have taken out-of-town visitors for drives around the area and they made the comment about how beautiful Fairfield was. We were in Bridgeport.

Also note that the Showcase Cinema is in Bridgeport's Black Rock neighborhood. It is literally right on the line of Fairfield but technically in Bridgeport so if you want to go to the latest movies you may have to go into Bridgeport to do so. My point is you need to tell your parents that because of the way the area is, there may be times that you will want to go into Bridgeport but only the best parts of the city.

Most of the teens I know in Fairfield hang out at the beach or Lake Mohegan. Lake Mohegan is close to Black Rock Turnpike so it likely is the closest to where you will be living. A season's pass to Lake Mohegan for a non-resident is $20 but if you are staying with your grandparents it will cost only $10. Fairfield has four public beaches on Long Island Sound: Jennings, Penfield, South Pine Creek and Southport. Jenning's is the closest to the east side of town though Penfield is not a lot further. You can find more information at the link below:

Fairfield Parks & Recreation - Beaches

You could also see what teen programs that the Fairfield Parks and Recreation Department offers and I know people like some of the programs that Fairfield Sportplex offers as well. Then you might also look at taking a couple of summer classes at either Fairfield University or Sacred Heart University as well.

Swimming is not allowed at the reservoirs but you can bike up to Aspetuck Reservoir on Black Rock Turnpike in Easton where there is a small park and a water geyser. Not really much to see though but when I was a teen it was one of the places we biked to once. Jay
Thank you Jay, your post was exactly what I was looking for. Lake Mohegan sounds like a great place for me. $20 is quite reasonable for a season pass, so I'll definitely check it out. Good to know about the 4 public beaches!

I showed my parents a map, and they told me that I will be allowed to go to the Black Rock section of Bridgeport as long as I give them precise notification on the times I plan on being there. However I am not a real cinema fan and have never been even once. They also said it was ok to bike through Bridgeport in order to get to Trumbull.

I definitely plan on going to Trumbull quite a bit, because of the mall, and also what raider said about the good hiking and mountain biking trails. It sounds really fun. Do you have any idea which Fairfield beach is the best for teens? I'll probably check out all of them and see, but I'd just like to get an idea! I am hoping to make some new friends around that area as well, so thanks for letting me know places where teens hangout. The Golf Courses on the map also look like something I want to check out.

Just want to know is there any places that aren't safe around Fairfield and Trumbull that you would recommend I stay away from? Also could you please let me know the areas I should definitely stay away from in Bridgeport just in case, and it would be helpful to know.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:44 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPS View Post
Thank you Jay, your post was exactly what I was looking for. Lake Mohegan sounds like a great place for me. $20 is quite reasonable for a season pass, so I'll definitely check it out. Good to know about the 4 public beaches!

I showed my parents a map, and they told me that I will be allowed to go to the Black Rock section of Bridgeport as long as I give them precise notification on the times I plan on being there. However I am not a real cinema fan and have never been even once. They also said it was ok to bike through Bridgeport in order to get to Trumbull.

I definitely plan on going to Trumbull quite a bit, because of the mall, and also what raider said about the good hiking and mountain biking trails. It sounds really fun. Do you have any idea which Fairfield beach is the best for teens? I'll probably check out all of them and see, but I'd just like to get an idea! I am hoping to make some new friends around that area as well, so thanks for letting me know places where teens hangout. The Golf Courses on the map also look like something I want to check out.

Just want to know is there any places that aren't safe around Fairfield and Trumbull that you would recommend I stay away from? Also could you please let me know the areas I should definitely stay away from in Bridgeport just in case, and it would be helpful to know.
Jennings and Penfield beaches are the biggest so I would guess they would be the most popular with teens. Both have pavilions but I can't say which one is more popular with teens. Be careful with going to the golf courses, some of them are private so you would be trespassing if you went on them. There is really no unsafe parts of Fairfield or Trumbull so you can likely bike around without issue. Just make sure you know where exactly you are. Jay

Old 02-03-2017, 05:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Isn't Black Rock in Bridgeport? I am not allowed to go there by myself. My parents don't want me wondering through Bridgeport as they said it is a major city, and probably not very safe. I also like to walk in the woods, so is there any park with woods around?

Honestly I am really clueless and don't know exactly what I am talking about, so please don't think I am stupid or anything, but looking at a map, I can see the Hemlock Reservoir in Northern Fairfield. Is that a place to swim possibly? What about the Brett Woods Open Space, is that a good place to go?

I am also looking at a map of Northern Trumbull as well, and I want to ask about Indian Ledge Park, Old Mine Park, Great Oak Park, and Tashua Recreation Area? Do any of those places have woods I could walk around?

Also I might be able to take the train once or twice and explore other areas, but I will have to go with some people. My parents won't let me go that far by myself. I would also love to checkout NYC and New Haven, but getting my parents to let me do that alone will be one of the hardest things to do, LOL.

Sorry if I sound a little stupid asking about some of these places, but honestly the area is quite new to me, and I have never been in CT longer than 3 nights ever.
Lake Mohegan has a beach where you can swim plus a 70 acre wooded area to hike. There are also 5 Long Island Sound beaches.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:

Areas to avoid in Bport East side, East end, The Hollow, West End, 5 block radius of Trumbull ave, Capital ave east of Main st, Alice St area, South End

Old 02-04-2017, 12:19 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,341,066 times
Quote:

I am also looking at a map of Northern Trumbull as well, and I want to ask about Indian Ledge Park, Old Mine Park, Great Oak Park, and Tashua Recreation Area? Do any of those places have woods I could walk around?

I live in Trumbull and we have a very nice bike/running path (the Pequonnock River Trail) that runs through the center of the town and continues into Monroe. You will pass through some parks and be not too far away from the Tashua recreation area. You are suppose to be a resident of Trumbull to park in the Tashua recreation area but I don't think you would have any problems being you are on a bike. You would not be able to go swimming in the pool though.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/pequonnock-river-trail

Scroll down to look at photos of the trail.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:31 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull and we have a very nice bike/running path (the Pequonnock River Trail) that runs through the center of the town and continues into Monroe. You will pass through some parks and be not too far away from the Tashua recreation area. You are suppose to be a resident of Trumbull to park in the Tashua recreation area but I don't think you would have any problems being you are on a bike. You would not be able to go swimming in the pool though.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/pequonnock-river-trail

Scroll down to look at photos of the trail.
Just have to be careful when crossing 111. I cringe every time I drive by and see bicyclists trying to cross.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,177,632 times
Quote:

Don't worry about parents giving you permission to go to Black Rock, theres nothing for you to do there anyway, maybe ride by St Marys by the Sea but thats about it. Don't worry about bad Bridgeport areas as well, no need to go there, and compared to Cairo, it's like kindergarten.
You would hang out at Penfield/Jennings beach with the Pavilion and skate park. It's basically one beach as they are connected. The other 3 beaches are small and just scenic drive/ride by areas.
The worst and scariest part of Fairfield and Trumbull I would say is the hallways in the Trumbull Mall

Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 AM

4,448 posts, read 3,341,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
The worst and scariest part of Fairfield and Trumbull I would say is the hallways in the Trumbull Mall
Don't pay attention to what this person is writing about the Trumbull mall. I am from Trumbull and he saw I made a comment and he is always trying to upset me on this site for some reason.

I am a petite female and safety is always my first concern. I would not go into New Haven and Bridgeport and walk alone but I do so in my Trumbull Mall. It is very safe.

Here here the crime stats on Trumbull (which includes the mall), Bridgeport, Fairfield. You can decide for yourself. From City-Data info, lower number is better.

Trumbull 107
Fairfield 108
Bridgeport 449

In other words you would be just as likely as something happening to you in downtown Fairfield as it is in Trumbull and our mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut