Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,457 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I are moving to CT due to my job being relocated. I will be working in Trumbull and would love recommendations on fun and family friendly towns. We are in the 300k to 350k range for a house.

We love to travel so near a major airport is a plus (closer to JFK or BDL??).
Currently live in urban area and enjoy the amenities that come with it (restaurants, parks, bars). Would like to live near ocean and train as well.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
What do you expect to get for your budget? What type of community do you want to live in (rural, suburban, urban)? How far from your job are you willing to live?

Trumbull itself is a wonderful suburban town. It has excellent schools, excellent shopping and restaurants and much of what you are looking for. Your could get a nice but somewhat modest home in your price range there.

The only issue is Trumbull is fairly far from a major airport. New York City airports are about 60 miles away and depending on traffic can be well over an hour or more away without traffic but there is always traffic getting to them. Living closer to them would place you in lower Fairfield County which is one of the most expensive parts of our country. Your budget will not go very far there, if at all. There are a few airports closer but service from them is more limited. About a half hour west is Westchester County Airport which has flights to a number of cities. About an hour north is Bradley International Airport which has more flights.

If you want your budget to go a little further and want a little more rural feel, you might consider the towns of Monroe or Newtown to the north of Trumbull. These towns will offer you homes on larger lots but likely would not have city water and sewers. Still the schools are very good and there is a lot of shopping in each town though you may need to go to nearby towns for entertainment or major shopping needs.

I should add that a lot will depend on where in Trumbull your job is located. If it is in the Trumbull Industrial Park area (southeast portion of town), off Route 8, you might be better off living in Shelton or one of the nicer Naugatuck Valley towns like Seymour or Oxford. If the job is off Monroe Turnpike in the northern end of town, then Monroe and Newtown would be good. Good luck. Jay

Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
First thing that comes to mind is Milford, although the budget will be tight. Bethel would be easier on the budget but a longer distance from Trumbull. Both towns are going to put you 1+ hours from a major airport.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
If you enjoy urban amenities, avoid Monroe, Trumbull, Oxford and Newtown. I'd agree with the suggestion of Milford and would add Stratford.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Trumbull itself is fine in that price range. Why commute if you don't have to. There is plenty of amenties, bars, restaurants, and Long Island sound in short drving distances.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:07 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Welcome to Connecticut

I agree that you can find a pretty good home in Trumbull for that price range, but it is a good hour from BDL, and probably more than that to JFK or LGA in New York because of traffic.

Shelton would be another option - it gets you a little closer to BDL, though a little further away from JFK and LGA.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,457 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded! I'd say we are looking for suburban to urban for sure. I've had my eye on Milford and Stratford. Bridgeport seems hit and miss. Anyone recommend neighborhoods in Bridgeport? What about New Haven to Trumbull commute?

Old 02-14-2017, 05:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
If you're looking for good schools, I wouldn't look in Bridgeport at all.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Milford fits the bill. Short commute, beaches, walkable downtown, lots of activities/dining/shopping, low taxes for the area, train, good schools. You should be able to get a decent house for that budget.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Welcome to the #1 NIMBY state in the nation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut