Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is CT on the east coast?
Yes 87 95.60%
No 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sarcasm???
Yes.

Maybe it's time to do the inevitable

Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Long Island Sound is a tidal estuary of the Atlantic Ocean. An estuary is a *coastal* body of brackish water. Why is it hard to understand that we sit on the coast? And why is this thread 8 pages long?
While you find Brackish water near the mouth of the CT River where it empties into the Sound, I doubt the rest of LI Sound has the same level of salt content as any body of salt water. I seem to recall that would be 3% but my memory may not be correct on this.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Yes.

Maybe it's time to do the inevitable
That denial he is exhibiting on this subject is starting to border on the insane.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But CT is not on the coast. It's on the Sounds (Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound). It's close, but not exactly on the coast.
You simply ignore the facts apparently because they don't suit your beliefs.

This reminds me a lot of arguments we've had on the subject of ground leads for legal low power AM broadcasting that does not require a license. People with Broadcast Engineering experience and novices alike argue about the definition of where a ground lead starts and stops or which components that are attached to a lead can be considered to be or not to be a part of the ground.

It all comes down to some people, yourself included NEP, trying to redefine what is already and established fact that is etched in history or science and is essentially not really debatable at least in terms of trying to redefine what body of water is or is not a part of the ocean.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I believe that CT is not an east coast state at all. We can have an honest, in depth debate on this, but here are my reasons...

1. None of CT's borders are actually touching the Atlantic Ocean. The entire shoreline is just the Long Island Sound, which is bordering the state of NY along the south and the state of RI on the far southeast side. So how can you say CT is on the coast?

2. CT is oriented as an east to west state rather than north to south. Interstate 95 runs north to south in the "real" east coast states, but in CT, it runs east to west. A true east coast state would only have north-south interstate highways of that scale.

3. There is no east coast in CT. The eastern edge of CT borders the land of Rhode Island. The Long Island Sound is certainly not the east coast. It is the "south coast" of CT. All of the "other" east coast states truly have the ocean at their eastern borders.

Too many people misconceive CT to be an east coast state, but it technically isn't. Same with Pennsylvania and DC, none of which even border the Atlantic Ocean AT ALL!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:05 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
While you find Brackish water near the mouth of the CT River where it empties into the Sound, I doubt the rest of LI Sound has the same level of salt content as any body of salt water. I seem to recall that would be 3% but my memory may not be correct on this.
I'm no expert so I consulted Wikipedia Apparently the salinity content in the western end of the sound is 23 ppt and the east end is around 35 ppt. The Atlantic Ocean is around 35 ppt, so it seems east end is almost indistinguishable from the Atlantic.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
I'm no expert so I consulted Wikipedia Apparently the salinity content in the western end of the sound is 23 ppt and the east end is around 35 ppt. The Atlantic Ocean is around 35 ppt, so it seems east end is almost indistinguishable from the Atlantic.
How the **** does this have 9 pages? This is the dumbest thread in the history of dumb threads.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Sounds right on. Only near the Thames and the CT River and possibly the other rivers or streams that empty into the Sound will you find a lower salinity content. This fact is proof enough that LI Sound is indeed a part of the Atlantic Ocean thus CT is on the Atlantic Coast.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 911 times
Is this serious?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbers View Post
Is this serious?
Unfortunately, I believe so. I doubt his insistence that CT is not a coastal state would not have dragged on this long unless it was for real or because he has a lot of free time in which to create a antagonistic environment that will lead to combative arguments on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut