Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times

Advertisements

Sorry but drivers in CT are morons. So much road rage, I've seen people engage in road rage behavior on a regular basis. Yelling at each other, honking, flipping the bird, tailgating, high beaming. People are nasty.

And one of the people in this thread making excuses for the poor manners here is one that posted how they engaged in road rage behavior a few months back!!!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMe0ut0fHere View Post
We made the 'mistake' once of knocking on our neighbors door to attempt to borrow some flour, as we were making a cake and were all out...the look of horror on their faces was priceless--its like I was a complete stranger asking for their firstborn.
If I'd never met you, I'd look at you the same way.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM

35 posts, read 35,784 times
Op, I (basically) agree. We're from lake county, IL, and we lived in downtown Chicago (streeterville) before that. My husband is a Harvard grad and I northwestern, so we spent time in those communities and used the alumni networks whenever we felt we needed an injection of new faces. Never had any trouble making friends in Chicago. In fact, we used to have a few invites every weekend and sometimes turned down parties to get some rest. Lol!

That all changed when we moved to the Farmington valley almost a decade ago. I have to say we've made very few friends with 'natives'. Almost all of our friends have been other couples from the Midwest or California, and not many, frankly. And now most have moved away (one by one they're finding better career opportunities elsewhere). We have almost no friends left. I was just thinking about this, this morning. It's incredibly sad! I'm actually lonely and we're thinking of moving back to the Midwest when our youngest finishes high school.

I don't know what it is but there does seem to be something in the New England culture that 'rejects' midwesterners. We're too friendly to be friends with?! I've mostly given up - I'm tired of being judged and lectured to...when all I want is a cup of coffee and to listen to someone nice talk about their life.

If it gives you a sense of where my head is: I'm going to spend a couple of hours today binge watching past seasons of 'girls' because it's sort of like having that conversation with a friend. Sad, huh?

Good luck, fellow midwesterner. I wish I had advice. :-(

Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The 'more reserved and keep to themselves' crap sounds like some canned BS. Rude is rude.
Is that how you come across to these other people? If so, I can understand why you are having issues.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompho View Post
Op, I (basically) agree. We're from lake county, IL, and we lived in downtown Chicago (streeterville) before that. My husband is a Harvard grad and I northwestern, so we spent time in those communities and used the alumni networks whenever we felt we needed an injection of new faces. Never had any trouble making friends in Chicago. In fact, we used to have a few invites every weekend and sometimes turned down parties to get some rest. Lol!

That all changed when we moved to the Farmington valley almost a decade ago. I have to say we've made very few friends with 'natives'. Almost all of our friends have been other couples from the Midwest or California, and not many, frankly. And now most have moved away (one by one they're finding better career opportunities elsewhere). We have almost no friends left. I was just thinking about this, this morning. It's incredibly sad! I'm actually lonely and we're thinking of moving back to the Midwest when our youngest finishes high school.

I don't know what it is but there does seem to be something in the New England culture that 'rejects' midwesterners. We're too friendly to be friends with?! I've mostly given up - I'm tired of being judged and lectured to...when all I want is a cup of coffee and to listen to someone nice talk about their life.

If it gives you a sense of where my head is: I'm going to spend a couple of hours today binge watching past seasons of 'girls' because it's sort of like having that conversation with a friend. Sad, huh?

Good luck, fellow midwesterner. I wish I had advice. :-(
That's weird... Just in August you posted how much you loved it here and couldn't live anywhere else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompho View Post
I love CT. it's beautiful and the people are 'authentic'. Not necessarily 'nice' like the Midwest but more direct / straightforward.

As a Midwestern transplant I did have to adjust to this and I went through a phase where I thought people here were rude and I was 'too nice' for New England and I would have to toughen up, etc. but really what I needed was to drop the pretense around my communications. And that changed everything. Stop pretending and focus on good, clear, meaningful and affirming conversation. And not a lot of it. ;-)

Now I can't live anywhere else.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:51 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:

Examples:
We made the 'mistake' once of knocking on our neighbors door to attempt to borrow some flour, as we were making a cake and were all out...the look of horror on their faces was priceless--its like I was a complete stranger asking for their firstborn.]
I don't blame them.
Who the hell does that anymore?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I don't blame them.
Who the hell does that anymore?
I share groceries with my neighbors, but we're all pretty close friends. If someone random (who I've never met before) person, neighbor or not, came knocking on my door asking for flour, they'd be met with some hesitation for sure.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I share groceries with my neighbors, but we're all pretty close friends. If someone random (who I've never met before) person, neighbor or not, came knocking on my door asking for flour, they'd be met with some hesitation for sure.
I have never asked anyone, even my very close neighbors, for something I could run up to the store and get. I always check my pantry before I start any cooking project.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have never asked anyone, even my very close neighbors, for something I could run up to the store and get. I always check my pantry before I start any cooking project.
Easier said than done! Things come up, especially in today's hectic world. Just last week, my neighbor called to ask if I had an onion. She has 3 kids, husband out of town, it would've been a hassle to load them all in car for one onion.

We also ask each other if they need anything if one of us is headed to the store. It's the friendly thing to do.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, I meant who the hell still bakes cakes from scratch anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut