Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I spend a good deal of time in the Midwest for business- including several month long stints- and find the people there to be warm, outgoing and extremely friendly. This is true of the people I meet directly in the line of my work as well as those I meet in social settings or retail/restaurant interactions. I'll readily admit that I've never been to Indiana so maybe that state is less friendly than the other parts of the region.
The Midwest is a vast region that stretches from OH to the Plains States. Not all of Indiana is filled with nasty people Indianapolis? Yes. Have heard it from plenty of natives to the area that have moved away from Indy because of the people.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Re: "the kind of people that move from the Midwest to New England are a different breed than the natives that stay there", that's true for anywhere, and Connecticut is no exception - which has been my personal experience.

And, since you've put it out there, I'll bring up that you're admittedly an introvert. Since introverts aren't known for being overly and outwardly friendly, I think I agree with the poster who said you get what you give. I also think that goes for everywhere.
Tell you what. Move out here and live in a few different states in the Midwest and in some different cities and towns and then decide if I am right or wrong.

I am polite and cordial when I deal with people through work or when I go into a store or restaurant. People do not always reciprocate. My brother has also experiences this in the Indianapolis area as well.

I hate to say it but this trend is growing around the country and is not confined to the Midwest. Thankfully I am finding the service and attitude in Kentucky near Cincinnati be much better than Indianapolis. Even the Ohio side where Cincinnati is seems to have people that have been trained better to deal with customers in their service jobs.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
There is definitely a preponderance of rudeness up here in comparison to the rest of the country, there is. I know people who live here love to downplay it or sugarcoat it (to no avail), but it is there, and it is undeniable. I've encountered it myself on the street just passing people when I try to make eye contact and nod and smile or, God forbid, say "how's it goin?" only to get a look from them like they're waiting for their lithium drip to kick in.

I'm reminded of what Jack Nicholson once told a woman in a movie where he goes on a date with her. I think the advice he gave her would suit the majority of people in this state quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDk1jDXZnM

Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM

I think it boils down to the fact that some people have a different definition of what is rude. People ignoring me I don't consider rude. People calling me names, insulting me, violating my personal space and property, threatening me or harassing me I do consider rude. Never dealt with that very much in New England or NY but in some areas of the Midwest I have had to deal with a steady diet of this anti social, thuggish behavior.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I think it boils down to the fact that some people have a different definition of what is rude. People ignoring me I don't consider rude. People calling me names, insulting me, violating my personal space and property, threatening me or harassing me I do consider rude.
While I think everyone may have a slightly different definition of "rude", I don't think I'm the only one who finds it odd that you're called names, insulted, threatened and harassed by the general population, unprovoked. It seems odd to me.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
While I think everyone may have a slightly different definition of "rude", I don't think I'm the only one who finds it odd that you're called names, insulted, threatened and harassed by the general population, unprovoked. It seems odd to me.
You have not lived out here. I've actually seen full grown adults pick on retarded people in the KC area and a small town called Oakley, KS. The owner of a small grocery store in Oakley had a retarded kid working for him and he would actually pick on him while he was on the floor for the customers to witness. And staff members at a Pizza Hut in the KC area used to pick on a retarded guy that worked there a few hours a week. At least in that case they didn't do it in front of the customers. Both of these situations happened 20 years ago.

I'll repeat that not every area out here has nasty, rude people. And even KC is not comprised solely of people like that. But there are more infantile, ignorant and obnoxious people in the lower Midwest than any other that I've lived. Nothing in New England even comes close unless something has changed since I left CT in 2003.

I will add that when I lived in Country Club Plaza in KC the people behaved like civilized humans. The only issue I had while I was there was when a couple of people tried to break into my apartment right after I moved there. They were unsuccessful.:-) But the stories I can tell about living in nearby Richmond and to some degree, Lexington is another matter. And also a few things in the KC area over the years though when compared to Indy it was saner in KC.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 03-10-2017 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I'm just going to highlight this again to make a point. Some people are their own worst enemy.

Also, a lot has changed in CT since 2003. A lot.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I'm just going to highlight this again to make a point. Some people are their own worst enemy.

Also, a lot has changed in CT since 2003. A lot.
Ignorance is indeed bliss. You need to get out more and experience other areas of the country. PC nonsense on your part. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your "feelings".

Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Ignorance is indeed bliss. You need to get out more and experience other areas of the country. PC nonsense on your part. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your "feelings".
Anyone else feel that this so called "being mistreated" is self inflicted?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I'm well traveled and have friends/family all over the country, including some in the Midwest. My best friend, who now lives in New York, was born and raised in St. Louis. He always comments how he misses the midwestern hospitality.

Also, your take on midwesterners is opinion, not fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut