Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 PM

38 posts, read 37,990 times

Advertisements

I love walking on the trails here but am terrified of getting ticks. I moved here not too long ago. What can I do to prevent getting ticks?

I stay on trails, tucks my pants in, and check myself when I get back. I am afraid I'll miss a tick hiding somewhere in my clothing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
You're doing the right things. Also:

Use deet liberally.

Take a shower.

Change clothes.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
You're doing the right things. Also:

Use deet liberally.

Take a shower.

Change clothes.
Agreed. I'm a hiker and spend a great deal of time in the woods. I do all of the above, plus check myself for ticks post-shower. I have only ever found one on me once and it was a bigger tick, not the tiny deer tick that causes Lyme disease. You're more likely to encounter bigger ticks vs. deer ticks.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
You guys are forgetting 1 thing to do.

Pray we have a frigid cold winter without a snowpack. Talking about sub zero temps for weeks on end.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:38 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Don't forget to tuck in your shirt. I made that mistake once.

If I'm going to be out for any length of time, I treat my clothing with permethrin.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/

Don't get mad; get even.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Wear light colored pants too. And white socks. Will be easier to spot them if they hitch a ride.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Yeah, but what happens when your dog gets ticks? Ours comes in loaded with them sometimes. He tested positive for Lyme Disease a few years ago. There is a vaccine now for dogs but it's not that effective. I think that's what they gave our dog when we raced him in there with about 30 ticks on him.

He's been fine. Only thing, last year when they gave him the vaccine, he nearly died. He's so healthy now I'm afraid to let them give him another dose of that vaccine. BTW, they will always test positive once they've had the disease because the antibodies are still there.

To answer the initial question, it's relatively easy to protect a human. Most of us know enough to not crawl on the ground in deep grass and weeds or to be careful if wading in a marsh. We can check ourselves on the spot for ticks. Dogs though...

Old 03-05-2017, 09:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
There are woods on my property, as well as adjacent properties. My big dark colored dogs spend a lot of time in the woods (plus they hike with me) and I would never be able to find a tick on them due to their dark thick fur. *knock on wood* The dogs have never had Lyme or ticks (that I've seen). I religiously apply K9 Advantix (topical) monthly/year round, so either that stuff works miracles or we have been ridiculously lucky.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
There are woods on my property, as well as adjacent properties. My big dark colored dogs spend a lot of time in the woods (plus they hike with me) and I would never be able to find a tick on them due to their dark thick fur. *knock on wood* The dogs have never had Lyme or ticks (that I've seen). I religiously apply K9 Advantix (topical) monthly/year round, so either that stuff works miracles or we have been ridiculously lucky.
Thanks. We do use Advantix. I wonder if maybe we skipped it a few times when he came in covered with ticks.

Will have to check with dh because now I remember that someone gave us a hint--whether it was to use Advantix or use something else instead. We live near a salt marsh, good and bad.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Just found this.

https://newengland.com/free-guides/b...Living%20Pests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut