Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wow a few hedge funds in Palm Beach county. Big deal. Hedge funds are not what I would consider to be large employers that hire a diverse array of workers. Like I said, companies similar to GE, Aetna, UTC (big corporations) do NOT relocate to Florida, ever. They choose places like Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Washington DC, etc. Not Florida.

I would venture that the primary reason why these hedge funds chose to relocate to Palm Beach county is because someone in executive management wants to retire there or evasion of estate tax, which is a joke, considering only 5,200 Americans even pay the estate tax each year on average.
Billion dollar hedge funds relocating to PBC are huge employers and contribute insanely to the local economy. See lower FFC - it’s one of the wealthiest metros in the US for a reason. It doesn’t matter why they’re relocating there, they are. Palm Beach is wealthier than ever at the expense of Connecticut.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post

By the way, the top marginal income tax rate in NY is 8.92%. CT is 6.9%.

6 States That Tax the Daylights Out of the Rich
https://www.fool.com/taxes/2018/08/1...-the-rich.aspx

I saw this and was surprised when I read it. CT is not on this list.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Driving to my granddaughter's birthday party yesterday, from New Britain to Preston, I say to my wife, Lamont gets in and gets the tolls through, this trip will probably cost us an extra $15-$18 in tolls. Around 120 miles round trip, all on highways.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Driving to my granddaughter's birthday party yesterday, from New Britain to Preston, I say to my wife, Lamont gets in and gets the tolls through, this trip will probably cost us an extra $15-$18 in tolls. Around 120 miles round trip, all on highways.

I'm against tolls, but if they were implemented there's no way that trip would cost $15. Most of that trip would be via RT 2 which is a state highway. Even if they tolled RT 2 your trip could be made via other roads like RT 16.

The only way the state is going to get money from everyone is if they toll bridges since you can't drive around a bridge. I'm sure most of us here know how to drive around the state without using highways.
If tolls are placed I'm going to drive around all of them.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm against tolls, but if they were implemented there's no way that trip would cost $15. Most of that trip would be via RT 2 which is a state highway. Even if they tolled RT 2 your trip could be made via other roads like RT 16.

The only way the state is going to get money from everyone is if they toll bridges since you can't drive around a bridge. I'm sure most of us here know how to drive around the state without using highways.
Which would triple your commute and waste probably more in gas than the actual price of the tolls.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

If anybody thinks they won't put tolls on Rt2, Rt 9, Rt 8, Merritt Pkwy, Putnam Bridge, Haddam Bridge, Arrigonni Bridge, etc., is naive. And I bet the three bridges will be $1 each way.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:22 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Only reason against tolls is because it will cost money to build them. It already is costing $10 Million just to study if tolls should be built and this isn't even the first study I don't believe. We just be better if the gas tax went from 39.3 cents to 60 cents a gallon.

A $1 to $1.50 toll M-F on all CT bridges.

Then offer more 24 hour public transportation.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-19-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Only reason against tolls is because it will cost money to build them. It already is costing $10 Million just to study if tolls should be built and this isn't even the first study I don't believe. We just be better if the gas tax went from 39.3 cents to 60 cents a gallon.

Cost to build them? Cheaper than you think. Envision an orange trailer at each on/off ramp like the construction information signs, but instead of the sign there is a camera to read license plates, a receiver to read your EZ Pass, a solar panel, and a transmitter dish to send the data. They can probably get it up and running in a matter of months, at a cost of only 5 times what they tell us it will cost.....

Old 08-19-2018, 07:41 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Cost to build them? Cheaper than you think. Envision an orange trailer at each on/off ramp like the construction information signs, but instead of the sign there is a camera to read license plates, a receiver to read your EZ Pass, a solar panel, and a transmitter dish to send the data. They can probably get it up and running in a matter of months, at a cost of only 5 times what they tell us it will cost.....
I guess be more efficient to build them over the highways. Still gas tax is still cheaper and more effective I think.

About 3 million drivers in CT lets say...1,179 Million dollars in revenue and if raised to 60 (say 63 cents) that is 1,89 Million dollars in revenue...About 700,000 more dollars a year. Then adding $1 tolls on bridges M-F that is about another million a year there. That be about 3 million a year collected for transportation.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
I believe the talk is to charge around 10 cents a mile. While your total trip is about 60 miles each way, only about 50 miles is on roads that will be tolled so you are talking more likely around $10, not $15 to $18. Plus this does not include any discount the state may give state residents or a possible reduction in your gas or car tax. It is too soon to say what will happen. The toll study should give the next Governor and legislature their options. Hopefully they will realize the value of modern tolling. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut