Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I might vote for Stefanowski. I am holding out on seeing where he stands with Mental Health Reform in the State, ideas on dealing with the Opioid Crisis in the State, does he want to bring trade schools back, and reforming K-12 education in the State, political views on healthcare, stance on abortion/death penalty, stance on legalizing marijuana, views on State Assistance, and view point on Union Contracts/Pensions.
I believe his primary goal is to cut taxes so I would think he will propose cutting health and social services drastically and reducing spending on education. Not sure where he stands on other issues. Jay

Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I believe his primary goal is to cut taxes so I would think he will propose cutting health and social services drastically and reducing spending on education. Not sure where he stands on other issues. Jay
Guess have to wait and see. I am okay with a candidate reducing income taxes or raising income tax exemption bracket $45,000 or more, reducing taxes for the Elderly (Doing away with Estate & Gift Tax), raising gas tax, tolls on Bridges, decreasing sales tax & adding more sale tax exemptions, legalizing & taxing marijuana, capping property taxes at 50 mill rate or less, flat business tax, and creating policies to allow CT Cities to create their own sales tax.

Also for a candidate looking to better fund DEEP, DMHAS, DPS, and DDS.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-20-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
A definite Stefanowski voter here.

We are already under-performing and Lamont's new taxes would make that infinitely worse.

In Ct's case, government on steroids (size) is the problem.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:04 AM

538 posts, read 331,323 times
I see some PAC sponsered commercial already using Lamont's sound bit of the yes/no will you increase taxes question. I'm sure that will seal the deal for many against him.

While I don't think he's a strong candidate I hate seeing one word yes/no answers to questions being used for or against a candidate. I need substance and context to an answer. The commercial following that one was a Lamont ad where he stated he wanted to help reduce property taxes.

Still undecided here personally, but I haven't done all my homework on each of the candidates.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:10 AM

So according to this article, the candidates are not focusing on transportation funding in their campaigns. Why is that? Doesn't transportation affect every resident in one way or another? Doesn't a good transportation network help attract economic development? Are they to scared to discuss the topic because they know the answer is that after nearly 20 years without increased funding, we need more money and there aren't many options to do that?

Clearly Connecticut has a transportation funding problem and despite what people think of Dan Malloy, you have to give him credit for not backing down on the importance of transportation funding. He easily could have just walked away and said it is the next Governor's problem. Instead he pushed the toll study to answer the never ending questions asked by Republicans and continues to talk about funding. You have to give him some credit. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2018/08/20/mall...7dd80-68207705

Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So according to this article, the candidates are not focusing on transportation funding in their campaigns. Why is that? Doesn't transportation affect every resident in one way or another? Doesn't a good transportation network help attract economic development? Are they to scared to discuss the topic because they know the answer is that after nearly 20 years without increased funding, we need more money and there aren't many options to do that?

Clearly Connecticut has a transportation funding problem and despite what people think of Dan Malloy, you have to give him credit for not backing down on the importance of transportation funding. He easily could have just walked away and said it is the next Governor's problem. Instead he pushed the toll study to answer the never ending questions asked by Republicans and continues to talk about funding. You have to give him some credit. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2018/08/20/mall...7dd80-68207705
The problem is one of trust. The transportation fund has continually been raided to fund other things, and many fear that the same thing will happen with toll revenues. They fear the money will not be spent on transportation but instead be given to the public unions as a payoff for their support. That's why issues like tolls and even the larger issue of transportation, which is a very important one, have to be looked at in the context of an overall plan to stabilize the state's future liabilities. Otherwise nobody will believe that the mone will stay with transportation.

Though I don't care for Malloy, I'm not the Malloy hater that some arem. But the bottom line is that he has made little to no headway in 8 years in solving the state's most serious problems.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The problem is one of trust. The transportation fund has continually been raided to fund other things, and many fear that the same thing will happen with toll revenues. They fear the money will not be spent on transportation but instead be given to the public unions as a payoff for their support. That's why issues like tolls and even the larger issue of transportation, which is a very important one, have to be looked at in the context of an overall plan to stabilize the state's future liabilities. Otherwise nobody will believe that the mone will stay with transportation.

Though I don't care for Malloy, I'm not the Malloy hater that some arem. But the bottom line is that he has made little to no headway in 8 years in solving the state's most serious problems.
But there is supposed to be a question on the November ballot to place a lockbox on the Transportation Fund to prevent future raids on the fund. That should stop, or at least severely limit, the Legislature's ability to raid it in the future. Jay

Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
The govts negotiating skills are so weak. Hartford after receiving the bailout from us, now doesnt want to agree to the austerity measures suggested. Hope that would that be baked into the agreement.

Friend owned a building he rented out to the St. of Ct.
They broke lease with 4 yrs to go. Paid him for 4 yrs!!
Could have easily negotiated a kick out clause protecting them. Hey its not their money!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 PM

331 posts, read 207,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Guess have to wait and see. I am okay with a candidate reducing income taxes or raising income tax exemption bracket $45,000 or more, reducing taxes for the Elderly (Doing away with Estate & Gift Tax), raising gas tax, tolls on Bridges, decreasing sales tax & adding more sale tax exemptions, legalizing & taxing marijuana, capping property taxes at 50 mill rate or less, flat business tax, and creating policies to allow CT Cities to create their own sales tax.

Also for a candidate looking to better fund DEEP, DMHAS, DPS, and DDS.
How does the estate and gift tax affect the elderly? Why would a wealthy senior need tax help? Wouldn’t it be best to help middle class seniors?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM

331 posts, read 207,938 times
I have been getting republican ads on Facebook and YouTube lol. I’m a democrat, but it’s a reminder that Election Day will be here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut