Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:20 PM

29 posts, read 32,570 times

Advertisements

Awesome information, and yeah the market for software engineering in Hartford is already easily enough for me, it's very close in sheer number to Orlando, FL, where I live now, and I have recruiters here calling me every other day. I definitely like the idea though of maximizing what I make to go into a house and other things. Location is a big plus for Hartford too, I love winter sports like ice hockey and skiing/snowboarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Hartford's best suburbs not only have much cheaper housing than Boston and NYC, they also are often significantly cheaper than the nice areas in the traditionally cheap southern cities. Places like Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.
Lmao at this comment... that poster is delusional

Hartford metro average price per square foot... $145

Charlotte metro...$112
Dallas metro...$125
Atlanta metro...$104

etc

So... not really, lol

Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,575,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Lmao at this comment... that poster is delusional

Hartford metro average price per square foot... $145

Charlotte metro...$112
Dallas metro...$125
Atlanta metro...$104

etc

So... not really, lol

Before you throw around insults and LMAOs and LOLs, you should read and understand my post.

I never claimed that Hartford had a lower average price per square foot so I have no idea why you would dispute what I said with a completely different point.

Cities like Austin, Dallas and Atlanta are sprawling and the bulk of housing is cheap tract housing that's far away from the city center and not at all interesting or desireable for many people. And quickly built condo complexes thrown up to accomodate a steady stream of people moving in. However, when you compare well-established, close-in neighborhoods much more similar to those in West Hartford, you will usually find that they are much more expensive in these "cheap" cities. That was my point which I think was pretty clear.

And part of my point was about the trap that you fell into. Anyone can google average home prices and be seduced by these cities that appear so cheap but the fact is that when you compare closer to like-for-like, Hartford's finest suburbs come out looking like very good value for money. Dare I say 'cheap'.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-08-2017 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Remove personal attack

Old 03-08-2017, 05:36 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Before you throw around insults and LMAOs and LOLs, you should read and understand my post.

I never claimed that Hartford had a lower average price per square foot so I have no idea why you would dispute what I said with a completely different point.

Cities like Austin, Dallas and Atlanta are sprawling and the bulk of housing is cheap tract housing that's far away from the city center and not at all interesting or desireable for many people. And quickly built condo complexes thrown up to accomodate a steady stream of people moving in. However, when you compare well-established, close-in neighborhoods much more similar to those in West Hartford, you will usually find that they are much more expensive in these "cheap" cities. That was my point which I think was pretty clear.

And part of my point was about the trap that you fell into. Anyone can google average home prices and be seduced by these cities that appear so cheap but the fact is that when you compare closer to like-for-like, Hartford's finest suburbs come out looking like very good value for money. Dare I say 'cheap'.
You are right. The more desirable suburbs of these cities are pricier than the desirable suburbs of Hartford. Overall though prides are still less in those cities because they sprawl over vast areas and include a lot of low cost areas. Hartford does not have any of those cheap areas so overall the prices are higher. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 03-08-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:44 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,069,314 times
Quote:

Really... have you lived in any of those places? Because I lived in Dallas for 3 years.... it was CHEAP compared to middle class CT. There are plenty of beautiful suburbs with good schools that have housing HALF the price of middle class towns in CT.

And when you take everything into account, like property taxes (which is factored into monthly payment) and utilities, you have this...

Cost of living index Hartford... 128
Cost of living index Dallas.... 95

US avg.... 100

Last edited by JayCT; 03-08-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 35,409 times
To the OP --

This area is fantastic if you have a nice job. And I say 'job' as it's hard to progress through an entire career here without having to move to a larger city for that all important exec level promotion. Basically Hartford is a three horse town (insurance, government and utc). But each of these sectors is rapidly shedding middle management layers (as well as relying heavily on outsourcing / onshoring / h1b / consulting / contracting) to reduce labor expense. So, it's hard for employees to have leverage for promotions. We are surrounded by affluent, white color workers who routinely pull up stakes and relocate over job loss or promotions. Comparatively few seem to progress to exec level (svp, evp, president, partner, etc) within the area. Even the largest corporations in Hartford house their exec levels in NYC and Boston. This area is used for their skilled workers.

So, you decide what's important. If your definition of a beautiful life includes great public schools, livable communities (low crime, high quality housing, reasonable commutes, wonderful parks and outdoor spaces, exceptional recreation and sports leagues, a relative lack of religious and racial tension) and high but manageable taxes - then Hartford is for you. If the most important thing to you is career progress, you should stay in a larger city.

Btw, I personally did find career progress here (before I retired), so it's not impossible.. But I did need to agree to an office in NYC and made frequent trips into lower Manhattan from the Farmington valley. It wasn't an easy commute but a sacrifice I made to keep from relocating.

Good luck to you and enjoy the decision!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM

21,494 posts, read 27,723,916 times
Quote:

I agree with Stylo that New Haven has more potential to become a tech/innovation hub but it will have to play catch up. Actually, it's sheer incompetence and lack of leadership that has left NH out of this scene. With Yale and other Universities along with its close proximity to NYC, it should have been a key tech hub (even if 'second tier' generally or more focused in one or two areas).
Biotech is a big thing in New Haven right now. If Yale could ever get a competitive compsci program together, NHV would have a chance competing with tech cities on a national scale, not just within CT.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 49,984 times
I think you will be happy in WH. I still prefer that town more than many other way more expensive/fancier parts of the country. If it weren't for my company in the NYC region; i'd go back.

Pro's:
-Real Estate is affordable
-schools
-outdoor activities
-people are generally well educated and cultured
-opportunity (if you have ambition)
-proximity to many global areas of interest but far enough away where you don't pay for the premium.
-plenty of restaurants

Con's:
-taxes (but you do get good schools by default so it's a wash)
-traffic (it's really not bad at all, esp if you have any experience with city living)
-CT as a whole, more regressive than progressive but home prices reflect that and who knows, maybe the future is bright.
-housing is affordable but drinks+restaurants are expensive (all things considered and im not talking pbr's) without the quality or innovation.
-Bradley airport has limited non-stop flights but not a huge deal.
-lack of growth - but it's always the person that creates opportunity, not the location... JP Morgan was born in hartford.

Anyway, i think it's an ideal place to raise a family. You can take daytrips to VT and ski or go fishing in old saybrook; spend a day in boston/newport/nyc. Today, young professionals want more exciting experiences/culture which is why they are leaving but for families that are content; it's a great choice.

best of luck to you

Last edited by 133; 04-04-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 02:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,150,427 times
The Hartford area is dirt cheap. There was an episode of House Hunters in Hartford the other night. This couple was looking at these behemoth 747 hangar sized homes 5000-6000sq ft in the $500Ks-$600Ks range. The guy was upset with one because the basement wasnt finished.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,456,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
The Hartford area is dirt cheap. There was an episode of House Hunters in Hartford the other night. This couple was looking at these behemoth 747 hangar sized homes 5000-6000sq ft in the $500Ks-$600Ks range. The guy was upset with one because the basement wasnt finished.
Cheap? I maybe if you have $500k to spend. We are looking in the modest $250 to $275 range and there is nothing other than ranches or raised ranches or homes that need $20k worth of work. The taxes are the biggest thing that is really regressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut