Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Its officially the end of the world at Stop and Shop Westport
It's unbelievable isn't it? Roads in Derby were JAMMED. People driving like idiots, crashes all over.

Storms coming, lets all drive like maniacs!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Loop last 4 hrs. 3:20-7:20pm. Moisture up to DC right now. I See reports of Light snow in Northern VA, MD, & DE. DC reporting light snow/flurries

Look at all that moisture down south heading north. WOW! And the moisture heading east

Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
looks like a massive storm for sure!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
You have to remember that the road crews do a MUCH better job with snow removal up that way [New Hampshire] than they do in CT so it only makes sense folks want to be prepared. Also, I lived in the Upper Valley area of Vermont/New Hampshire for over a decade and even there people would stock up on the necessities before a big storm just in case.
Ah, OK, now it makes a LITTLE more sense. I assumed that CT would be as on the ball as NH when it comes to snow removal ... how bizarre that it's not!

Then again, we have posts like this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Its officially the end of the world at Stop and Shop Westport
... which made me laugh, but also, again, seriously? Even if we can't get to the store for, you know, a day or two, are we really going to run out of food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
My town issued a statement at 4pm saying that tomorrows trash pickup will proceed starting at 5am tomorrow to ensure collection prior to the onset of the storm. They usually start at 7 so not that much earlier. Should be fun trying to wrestle trash cans out of snowbanks right?
My regular trash pick-up is Tuesdays ... I actually called my company (it's all private where I live) and they said they DO plan to be out tomorrow but will likely start earlier so I should put out my trash & recycling tonight. Already done! Now I just have to be out in time tomorrow morning to bring the bins in before they are covered with snow!

Cambium, I still haven't seen anything about whether this snow is the heavy wet stuff or the light fluffy stuff? Normally if we're going to get a lot of the heavy wet stuff then the storm warning includes a note about possible outages ... still nothing about that in the warnings up here ... I am hopeful!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, OK, now it makes a LITTLE more sense. I assumed that CT would be as on the ball as NH when it comes to snow removal ... how bizarre that it's not!

Then again, we have posts like this ...

... which made me laugh, but also, again, seriously? Even if we can't get to the store for, you know, a day or two, are we really going to run out of food?

My regular trash pick-up is Tuesdays ... I actually called my company (it's all private where I live) and they said they DO plan to be out tomorrow but will likely start earlier so I should put out my trash & recycling tonight. Already done! Now I just have to be out in time tomorrow morning to bring the bins in before they are covered with snow!

Cambium, I still haven't seen anything about whether this snow is the heavy wet stuff or the light fluffy stuff? Normally if we're going to get a lot of the heavy wet stuff then the storm warning includes a note about possible outages ... still nothing about that in the warnings up here ... I am hopeful!!!
To be honest, this year the cleaning of the roads have been their absolute worst. I've got pictures and videos as proof. Hardly any snow and it ends up on the roads for days.. it's a product of budget cuts. We'll see what the state and local towns do tomorrow, but their past performance lately leaves much to be desired.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

830 posts, read 684,613 times
It's fueling up!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:

Good question. Should be like this for the most part....but coast might start as light and fluffy until storm gets closer

Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 PM

138 posts, read 114,884 times
Bring it on!
Ok, easy to say when you're in a hotel room in Enfield, and you don't have to go back to work or anywhere else 'til Thursday.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good question. Should be like this for the most part....but coast might start as light and fluffy until storm gets closer
Gotta say, I am happy to see that! I'm about 100 miles inland in New Hampshire (basically just outside of Keene) so we are in the "light and fluffy" zone. I don't mind THAT kind of snow at all, and hopefully can breathe a tiny bit easier since it's less likely that we will lose power.

I am curious: are power outages fairly common in a lot of areas in Connecticut? Do most people in such areas have generators? I will likely move to Maine for retirement and from what I've read a LOT of people have generators due to frequent outages. I would hate that.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
I am curious: are power outages fairly common in a lot of areas in Connecticut? Do most people in such areas have generators? I will likely move to Maine for retirement and from what I've read a LOT of people have generators due to frequent outages. I would hate that.
Nah not really. Some big outages during hurricanes Sandy and Irene, but other than that, not very common.. I haven't lost power yet in the 2 years I've lived in my house... hope I didn't jinx myself for tomorrow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut