Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,033 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are hoping to rent a single family house or townhouse (if it has SFH features, like a basement that can hold a workbench/tools) this spring, ideally in the vicinity of exits 25-26 of I-84 (we will be commuting to Danbury and Farmington, respectively).
I having been looking online in northern Cheshire/Prospect, southern Wolcott, and eastern Waterbury. We are hoping to stay ~1500/month, which rules out many of the Cheshire SFH rentals I have seen advertised.

After searching some similar threads on this forum commenting on the scarcity of rentals in many CT towns, I fear I am in a needle/haystack situation. I am hoping for some advice on a few questions.

1) Are single family rentals often handled by real estate agents?
If I were to contact one, would I experience a similar situation to being a buyer, i.e. he/she would find places for us to look at and have access to listings of other realtors?

2) How are the areas of Waterbury that border Prospect and Cheshire?
To give an idea of my comfort level - I feel perfectly safe living in the East Rock section of New Haven even when my husband is out of town.
Do you think there would be more (non-apartment) rental inventory there than in the other towns?

3) Does anyone have any experience with posting a "Housing Wanted" ad on craigslist?
I am curious to know if those postings get many legitimately helpful responses.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
If you are having trouble finding rentals in the area you are looking at, you might want to expand your search area. There would be more of a selection if you include Southington which is a very nice town with a lot more in the way of apartments and townhouses. I am sure Waterbury itself would have a number of listings but I do not the city well enough to say where is good and where is not. Jay

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabw View Post
I having been looking online in northern Cheshire/Prospect, southern Wolcott, and eastern Waterbury. We are hoping to stay ~1500/month, which rules out many of the Cheshire SFH rentals I have seen advertised.

1) Are single family rentals often handled by real estate agents? If I were to contact one, would I experience a similar situation to being a buyer, i.e. he/she would find places for us to look at and have access to listings of other REALTORS®?
Some rentals are handled by agents but more than half aren't. You are correct in your assessment that an agent with XYZ Realty can show you all LISTED rentals or non-LISTED rentals if you agree to pay the commission.

I didn't see any in Cheshire under $1,500. There is a Raised Ranch on the Southington-Cheshire line for $1,700. Rental amounts can be negotiated just like purchase amounts.

Quote:
2) How are the areas of Waterbury that border Prospect and Cheshire? To give an idea of my comfort level - I feel perfectly safe living in the East Rock section of New Haven even when my husband is out of town. Do you think there would be more (non-apartment) rental inventory there than in the other towns?
The East End of Waterbury transitions gradually to each of the towns it approaches (Naugatuck, Prospect, Cheshire, Wolcott). The streets between East Main Street and Meriden Road in Waterbury are very residential in character, often on .25-acre (or greater) sized lots.

Quote:
3) Does anyone have any experience with posting a "Housing Wanted" ad on craigslist? I am curious to know if those postings get many legitimately helpful responses.
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with craigslist.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Just be aware that if you rent in Waterbury, your car insurance will be very high. You might want to call your insurer and find the differences in rates for the towns you want.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 15,649 times
in waterbury you can get a 6 room, 3 bedroom 2 story townhouse in the walnut-orange-walsh section of waterbury for $550/mo. that's IF you're willing to live on wood st, irion st, upper oak st area. hell, i wouldn't even live there. i say look in the EastEnd for a townhouse. you could find one for $900/mo and up. if you're cool with east rock in new haven then you'll be cool with eastend in waterbury.

Last edited by propane is fun; 05-02-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Here is one in Cheshire for 1650 Rentals - 330 HIGHLAND AVE., Cheshire, CT, 06410 - Realtor.com

Their are a few on MLS in Southington but the ones under the price you want are either 1 bedrooms (you didnt say how many you wanted, or are in 55 and up communities).

It is a tough rental market these days, id include other places as well maybe naugatuck or wallingford, they seem to have quite a bit.

Just call the listing agents to view them.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 AM

97 posts, read 395,845 times
East side of Wtby near Cheshire line , Prospect, West side bordering Middlebury ok. I would stay away from Mall area , downtown, south side of Waterbury and north side. Naugy might be an option or Watertown which is easy access to 84. Traffice will be a problem with both those commutes on 84. Good luck

Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 AM

30 posts, read 158,327 times
try looking/posting on craigslist in ct. i've done that for sublets and had lots of good luck

Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 PM

42 posts, read 136,734 times
I would recomend the Town Plot area of Waterbury. There are also some hoses for rent in Naugatuck in your price range.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,816 times
Default Townhouse

We've been renting a townhouse in Farmington, exit #39A, off I-84, about 10 minutes from Waterbury. It's 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and about 1200 square feet with a basement. We're vacating it at the end of June. The rent should be somewhere around $1350-$1450 per month. If you're interested, I can give you more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut