Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,402,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hope you aren't referring to any of the states that border the Pacific!
I said "free" state, NOT "basking in perpetual communist sunshine", "drinking micro brews at coffee shops with hipsters" or "reading dark Russian novels while contemplating suicide"!

Sober me says this thread is not even worth follow up. Same as all other conceptual problems we discuss (and live through) here in CT. no new revenue, no new residents, no new jobs, no new services (often less actually), only new taxes. How original and productive, right? Fixing problems with the same solutions that caused the problems in the first place--if I was a computer or robot, surely my motherboard would have just short circuited and set fire from trying to process that infinite non sequitur cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
One issue with the CT gasoline tax that people tend to forget or don't even know about is that CT has a "gross receipts tax" on the sale of gasoline. I believe that tax is currently 8.1% and is not included in the at the pump rate of 39.85 cents per gallon.

Under a system like this CT will collect more tax as the price of gasoline rises, but will collect less tax as the price falls.
Yeah but that really does not add a lot and other states charge this as well. Jay

Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,070,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yeah but...
Lol another one of Jays famous "yeah buts"

Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,979,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I said "free" state, NOT "basking in perpetual communist sunshine", "drinking micro brews at coffee shops with hipsters" or "reading dark Russian novels while contemplating suicide"!

Sober me says this thread is not even worth follow up. Same as all other conceptual problems we discuss (and live through) here in CT. no new revenue, no new residents, no new jobs, no new services (often less actually), only new taxes. How original and productive, right? Fixing problems with the same solutions that caused the problems in the first place--if I was a computer or robot, surely my motherboard would have just short circuited and set fire from trying to process that infinite non sequitur cycle.
Explain why you haven't moved to some red state with zero services and minimal taxes? Maybe because those states only pay chronic complainers $8.50/hour?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Explain why you haven't moved to some red state with zero services and minimal taxes? Maybe because those states only pay chronic complainers $8.50/hour?
Because I own a house, was in grad school until 3 months ago and have made a lot of career momentum in the very limited biotech environment here. At this point, house is probably at least at break even price and degree is conferred. Management opportunity for me in very near future. Once I have year of manager experience I am ripe for the relo, but not going to set my career back another two years minimum because of liberal d-bags (will d-bags be taxed?!?!). The consulting gig I can do from anywhere remotely and my wife in sales and can make same working anywhere as well.

Interesting thing is, professionals, especially managers and directors make MORE money in the south and southwest. Supply and demand.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Because I own a house, was in grad school until 3 months ago and have made a lot of career momentum in the very limited biotech environment here. At this point, house is probably at least at break even price and degree is conferred. Management opportunity for me in very near future. Once I have year of manager experience I am ripe for the relo, but not going to set my career back another two years minimum because of liberal d-bags (will d-bags be taxed?!?!). The consulting gig I can do from anywhere remotely and my wife in sales and can make same working anywhere as well.

Interesting thing is, professionals, especially managers and directors make MORE money in the south and southwest. Supply and demand.
So why isn't the house on the market? We're 7+ years into a limited economic expansion. The next recession is overdue. Rising interest rates are likely to hit the housing market hard. It seems unlikely you have accumulated any wealth where you can buy your way out of a housing market correction. Until you sell the house, you're trapped in your Connecticut misery.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So why isn't the house on the market? We're 7+ years into a limited economic expansion. The next recession is overdue. Rising interest rates are likely to hit the housing market hard. It seems unlikely you have accumulated any wealth where you can buy your way out of a housing market correction. Until you sell the house, you're trapped in your Connecticut misery.
I just explained why. Didn't want to buy out of home then and don't want to in future either, but I need to capitalize on my career investments too. If I leave now and take another scientist-level position I'm almost certainly resetting my clock as much as 2 years with management being a near term end point. After transcending that gap, I'm on another multi year clock and have a window to move without going backwards career wise. I cannot control economies but I can control my career. I manipulate the variables I can and deal with the ones I can't. Relocating is a multifactorial decision and anyone who does it without due diligence and sound planning is fully to blame if doesn't work out. I made this mistake when I moved to CT, but I was 24, about to get married. Young and stupid is a very costly excuse...

Anyway, not moving over a tax on bags, it's what the bags represent. It's the rock bottom of a 2 decade decline. A place where housing prices are just reaching pre recession values, where the solution to everything is inventing new taxes, where people are too busy gloating about level of education and discussing where trannys take a turd rather than solving sophisticated problems.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 03-28-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I just explained why. Didn't want to buy out of home then and don't want to in future either, but I need to capitalize on my career investments too. If I leave now and take another scientist-level position I'm almost certainly resetting my clock as much as 2 years with management being a near term end point. After transcending that gap, I'm on another multi year clock and have a window to move without going backwards career wise. I cannot control economies but I can control my career. I manipulate the variables I can and deal with the ones I can't. Relocating is a multifactorial decision and anyone who does it without due diligence and sound planning is fully to blame if doesn't work out. I made this mistake when I moved to CT, but I was 24, about to get married. Young and stupid is a very costly excuse...

Anyway, not moving over a tax on bags, it's what the bags represent. It's the rock bottom of a 2 decade decline. A place where housing prices are just reaching pre recession values, where the solution to everything is inventing new taxes, where people are too busy gloating about level of education and discussing where trannys take a turd rather than solving sophisticated problems.
No. You explained nothing beyond some very poor decision making. If you think Connecticut is going down the toilet, you should be selling your house to limit your exposure. What do you do if 2 years from now, you're not a manager and the housing market tanks?

Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,435,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Mileage tax is an all round bad idea, and I don't like the idea of the State looking at my car data. It's none of their business. Now I might be inclined to support tolls, but State residents would have to get a nice sizable credit on their taxes. Plus the gas tax would need to be cut as well, maybe around 10 cents? Also there needs to be a lock box for this money, but since the likelihood of that happening is pretty low, then I really can't support tolls either. I'm amazed you trust politicians this much with our tax money considering how they have spent like drunken sailors all these years.
Like I said on a personal level I would prefer income tax and property tax paid for all government including roads, but given that we have the other taxes we could at least try to use them effectively.

As to car data, they already record mileage at sales and emission checks. Carfax collects data every time your car gets an oil change or an insurance claim. Tolls would collect your data (speed pictures etc) every time you pass. Honestly I would guess for the average person tolls would collect more personal data then mileage info from the cars odometer.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,151,579 times
Quote:
Agree here with putting the house on the market - right now - this spring, and try to break even. Worst thing would be having to write an enormous check at closing a couple of years down the road.
Rent in the meantime until relocation.

A bag tax stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut