Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenbabie View Post
Best style of house in Connecticut for resale in order..... I prefer Ranch style but I'm assuming you get the most money for Colonial style? Whats everyone think?
Around here location sells over style of house, not sure about upstate though.
If you're concerned with resale then buy a dump in Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield and fix it up. $300K is bottom of the barrel and slim pickings but will appreciate better and sell faster than a Bethel.
Last quarter Stamford-Norwalk had 162 and 161 single family homes sold respectively, by far most in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
In order:

Colonial
Cape
Ranch
Tri-Level
Split Level
Raised Ranch
Contemporaries
This leaves out a lot of classic architectural styles like tudors, farm houses and victorians, all of which I'd choose over split levels or tri-levels.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
My opinion for this area (though I'm really not personally opposed to any style, except for a 1980s style contemporary, and that usually has more to do with the dramatic peaks and vertically hung siding...):
1. Colonial
2. Sprawling Ranch
3. Cape
4. Raised Ranch/Contemporary

Old 03-29-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
My opinion for this area (though I'm really not personally opposed to any style, except for a 1980s style contemporary, and that usually has more to do with the dramatic peaks and vertically hung siding...):
1. Colonial
2. Sprawling Ranch
3. Cape
4. Raised Ranch/Contemporary
Love the 80s contemporaries on saugatuck shores. Got my eye on a couple.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
A friend of mine is a realtor in the New Haven area. She told me a few weeks ago that ranches are flying off the market in towns with decent schools. Colonials in those same towns are sitting on the market for much longer with multiple price reductions.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
So you think a Cape will sell before a Ranch?
Maybe so. I have a Cape in Trumbull and I have friends who live in ranches. My taxes are higher even though they have 200 to 300 more square feet. I went to my tax assessor a few years back and told them I think my taxes are wrong. The tax assessor said your taxes are higher because capes are more desirable. At least they are in Trumbull and I would think that would hold true for CT in general. I personally only wanted a cape also when buying my house.

BTW, I read your other post about the towns. Trumbull might be a good place to check out too. There are houses in the southern section of Trumbull near exit 47 and 48 on the Parkway you might be able to afford and you can get onto the Parkway quickly. I go into the northern section of Norwalk once a week and the commute is not too bad. You can take back roads into into northern Norwalk if needed when the traffic is very bad.

I found this about CT house style values.
http://www.thectrealtyblog.com/journ...ale-value.html

Last edited by CTartist; 03-29-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Around here location sells over style of house, not sure about upstate though.
If you're concerned with resale then buy a dump in Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield and fix it up. $300K is bottom of the barrel and slim pickings but will appreciate better and sell faster than a Bethel.
Last quarter Stamford-Norwalk had 162 and 161 single family homes sold respectively, by far most in the state.
Agreed. Most of the ranches I see sold are tear down fodder. Same with the capes.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM

32 posts, read 27,442 times
Unfortunately I cant look in Trumbull do to the CHFA income limits but I definitely like Trumbull. I'm limited to Bethel, Danbury, Newtown, Stamford, Norwalk, Redding, Ridgefield, Wilton, weston and few others that i cant afford.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
I suspect with the vanguard of boomers starting to seriously age the desire for one level living (or at least first floor master and/or elevator) is going to increase in demand. Particularly in lower FF County if you want one level living in an elegant house it is a tall order to find. So I think you'll have demand increasing against small supply.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I cant look in Trumbull do to the CHFA income limits but I definitely like Trumbull. I'm limited to Bethel, Danbury, Newtown, Stamford, Norwalk, Redding, Ridgefield, Wilton, weston and few others that i cant afford.
300K is a substantial home in Danbury, Bethel, and Newtown. Not available in the rest unless a crappy fixer upper.
SW Newtown (Hattertown) would have the easiest commute of the 3. Easy scenic ride down Rt 53 or Rt 58 to 136.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut