Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

I'm technically on work duty the second I leave my driveway, so any commute at all is long for me.

In all seriousness, though, anything over 30 minutes to me is long. I can't imagine commuting an hour each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Wow! Thank you for all the responses! (And for giving me another plus for moving to CT - if this would have been asked in the AK forum a fight would have erupted on page 2 about who's right or wrong.)

So going by what you are saying, it seems fair to assume that commuting time probably will not be much of a problem compared to what we're used to here (we also own our own businesses and should be able to, as often as possible, change our schedules depending on traffic).

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 03-31-2017, 04:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I've had commutes anywhere from 10 mins to about an hour each way over the past 25 years. I've been dealing with a 45 min commute for the past 8 years and I am tired of it. It's too much sitting and too much wasting of free time (as well as money for travel-related costs). When I had a 10 min commute I had over an hour of extra time to use each day. For me personally, time to exercise has taken the biggest hit which combined with prolonged sitting isn't good for a healthy lifestyle. My wife has a similar commute in a different direction. We are equally tired of it and are in the process of moving to a new location with better access to work, shopping and highways. At this point anything beyond 15 or 20 minutes is too long for me.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Wow! Thank you for all the responses! (And for giving me another plus for moving to CT - if this would have been asked in the AK forum a fight would have erupted on page 2 about who's right or wrong.)

So going by what you are saying, it seems fair to assume that commuting time probably will not be much of a problem compared to what we're used to here (we also own our own businesses and should be able to, as often as possible, change our schedules depending on traffic).

Thank you so much for your help!
Well, keep in mind that's Connecticut (especially southwest and even in the Hartford area) has some of the worst traffic in the country. So while distance may not be an issue, traffic is likely to be.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Feel anything over 80 miles roundtrip.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:21 PM

752 posts, read 553,293 times
Some days I work in NYC and others in New Haven. My New Haven commute is 15 minutes-- Not bad at all. My NYC commute is about 1 hour 40 minutes, door to door. That's a long commute anywhere-- but doable if you're not doing it every single day.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 29,747 times
I'd say a long drive is anything close to an hour.

But that's not the same as a long commute. I work in the NYC and most people who work in the city and live in the burbs think anything under 90 minutes is pretty normal. Anything over 90 minutes would be a "long" commute I think relative to NYC.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I currently have a commute that I consider a long distance, 30 miles each way. It's an easy drive but gets monotonous. There is very little opportunity for route variation without significantly adding to the distance. I previously had a shorter distance commute but it took longer because I had to go through I-84 in Hartford. I compensated in the morning by leaving for work at 6 am and managed it in about 40 mins, however, in the afternoon, even at 3:30, the drive home took at least an hour and could sometimes take 1 1/2. In addition, it was very stressful as the constant jams often resulted in people making erratic lane changes that resulted in several accidents with other cars and several personal near misses over the 8 year period I made the trek. Personally, I would take a longer stress-free drive over a somewhat shorter hectic one. I think a lot of young people are smart to consider living closer to employment, activities, and public transportation. Ultimately it saves them a lot of money, time and aggravation.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
20 min drive can turn into 1 hour in CT espically lower Fairfield County on 95/Merritt it very congested
Which is why my husband chose to live in Norwalk for his job rather than find something less expensive and further out.

Congestion is a way of rush hour life up here in Boston. We live roughly 10 miles from downtown, which is maybe a 15 minute drive with no traffic. With traffic that 15 minutes can easily turn into an hour. One of my husband's first jobs was in the Waltham area, which is right off Rte 128/95N and is known as our area "tech hub". It would take him minimum 60-90 minutes one way to drive home. After he left that job he swore never again would he have a long commute. Can't say I blame him.

I'v'e been very lucky in that I've either had to take public transportation or my jobs have had a reverse commute. Contrary to popular belief public transportation up here is overall very efficient. We also don't have the NYC population spillover that FFC has, so that also make a difference.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,354 times
"Long commute" depends on perspective, but personally I think sitting in stop-and-go traffic every single day is torture. That's why I would only live somewhere where the train is an option when you don't feel like driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut