Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,676,789 times

Advertisements

Wethersfield to Danbury and back - 50-55 mins in the morning to work, at least an hour in the afternoon coming home. glad i don't do that anymore. now that i live in E Windsor and work in Enfield, the commute is like 8 mins tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Wethersfield to Danbury and back - 50-55 mins in the morning to work, at least an hour in the afternoon coming home. glad i don't do that anymore. now that i live in E Windsor and work in Enfield, the commute is like 8 mins tops.
That's all? DW occasionally drives to Waterbury and it takes her about an hour. Granted some of that is because of construction but Danbury is another 15 to 20 minutes so you would be well over an hour easily. That is a long haul no matter what. Jay

Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,676,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That's all? DW occasionally drives to Waterbury and it takes her about an hour. Granted some of that is because of construction but Danbury is another 15 to 20 minutes so you would be well over an hour easily. That is a long haul no matter what. Jay
i left early (6:30am) and started in Danbury over 3 yrs ago so the Waterbury construction hadn't started yet. in fact i left Danbury almost 2 yrs ago now just after the construction started so it didn't affect me that much. if anything it was friggin Newington/Rt 175 that had the big traffic jam/delay in the afternoon. hated it.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 PM

45 posts, read 50,103 times
mine is about 30 miles. Can be 45 mins but usually an hour. It'd be great to live closer but gives me alone time and opportunities to catch up with friends/ work.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 AM

9,827 posts, read 14,688,046 times
Quote:
Here in the northeast, things tend to be much closer together so people's opinion on "long commute" and "long drive" are different. I live an hour's drive from family and some think that I live on the other side of the world. They even think of driving 20 minutes to a mall in Milford is a major trip.

That said for a daily commute, I think anything over 30 minutes each way is considered long here. Keep in mind that our roadways tend to have a lot of traffic so driving 30+ minutes can be more difficult than an hour on open roads. Also to me, a "long drive" is anything over 2 hours. Again this is dependent on the amount of traffic you encounter but to me more than that is a long trip no matter what the traffic. Jay
Its also much more crowded than Alaska, I'm sure.

Its not the same to spend 1 hour constantly driving on a smooth road or highway compare to 1 hour in stop and go traffic or the bumper-to-bumper parking lot that I-95 becomes for several hours every single day.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM

9,827 posts, read 14,688,046 times
-OFF TOPIC ON-

One thing the OP will definitely chuckle about is what we consider winter weather here, especially along CT's coast. I hope he/she keeps us updated on his/her impression of the state, at least during their first year. That should be interesting, to say the least. lol

-OFF TOPIC OFF-

Old 04-06-2017, 11:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Here in the northeast, things tend to be much closer together so people's opinion on "long commute" and "long drive" are different. I live an hour's drive from family and some think that I live on the other side of the world. They even think of driving 20 minutes to a mall in Milford is a major trip.

That said for a daily commute, I think anything over 30 minutes each way is considered long here. Keep in mind that our roadways tend to have a lot of traffic so driving 30+ minutes can be more difficult than an hour on open roads. Also to me, a "long drive" is anything over 2 hours. Again this is dependent on the amount of traffic you encounter but to me more than that is a long trip no matter what the traffic. Jay
Aint that the truth. I live roughly 2 hours away in southern NH and my family/friends in CT act like I live on another planet...

Growing up in CT I do however remember most things being a very short drive away including all family and my parents both had commutes and still do that are under 20 minutes away.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its also much more crowded than Alaska, I'm sure.

Its not the same to spend 1 hour constantly driving on a smooth road or highway compare to 1 hour in stop and go traffic or the bumper-to-bumper parking lot that I-95 becomes for several hours every single day.

THIS!

A one hour drive with no traffic and the Alaskan scenery is probably WAY more enjoyable than a 30 minute drive on 95 getting cut off in stop and go traffic by ever jag off on the road.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,691,211 times
Actually, come summer time in Alaska, the traffic is ridiculous. Motorhomes for miles or folks pulling large boats is an all summer ordeal. That's on the highway system. Coastal towns and villages not tied into the main highway system, not so bad. Yes the scenery is great...but our summer traffic is terrible!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:40 AM

21,568 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Actually, come summer time in Alaska, the traffic is ridiculous. Motorhomes for miles or folks pulling large boats is an all summer ordeal. That's on the highway system. Coastal towns and villages not tied into the main highway system, not so bad. Yes the scenery is great...but our summer traffic is terrible!
I doubt it can be nearly as bad as the daily 40 mile jams here in CT between the NY line and New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut