Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have an interview for a job in Hartford coming up. Looking at the stats, it looks like there's a lot of crime in the area. I'd be working a daytime job, so I would I have anything to worry about if I commute from a safer suburb? I used to go to school in a part of Tampa, FL which wasn't safe even in the daytime and don't want to go back to living like that.

I'm just starting the process of looking for jobs in CT, and would appreciate some advice. I'm a single female and would be looking to spend $1000-1300/month for rent.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Hartford is a relatively small in land size, but large in population and density. Most of the crime occurs north of Interstate 84 in the North End. Areas around Albany Ave are known for its drugs and trafficking. It's gotten progressively better than the 80's and 90's when at its height, the National Guard was called to assist the Hartford PD. Overall, crime is down but there are still small pockets of crime here and there. The South End is slightly better than the North End in terms of urban blight. Downtown and the West End are the safest in the city. During the day the Downtown area is vibrant and filled with white collar workers in government, insurance, and financial industries. The Hartford PD patrols downtown frequently especially when a major event is in town like a concert or sporting event. Apartments are being built around the downtown area since there's been a higher demand recently. Not only are workers moving into the downtown area to be closer to work, but UCONN is currently constructing a new campus that will bring thousands of young students into Hartford. Statistically, the more people walking around, the less crime is committed. I currently live in the West End which is full of nice neighborhoods. The governor even lives within 2 miles of my house. In my 30+ years of living here, I never had one major incident other than 2 car break ins which doesn't only occur in Hartford. That can obviously happen everywhere. Just like any other major city, as long as you mind your own business and give distance around people you know cause trouble, then you won't have an issue.

All in all though, don't worry at all. Connecticut is one of the safest states in the country and one city that is known for crime doesn't entirely mean that it spreads like wildfire towards other towns. Again, I live in a very safe section of the city where it's only a few miles from some sketchy neighborhoods. People drive from nice affluent towns like Avon and Simsbury into downtown Hartford all the time during rush hour through Albany Ave. You'll see when you get here that the difference between Tampa and Hartford is that the crime in Hartford is only bad in one area while Tampa is more widespread.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:55 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
I've been commuting into Hartford for almost 10 years. You will be fine. The North end is a little shady but I would not have any concerns with any of the other parts of town.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:42 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You have to understand something, Hartford is the small dense urban core of a metropolitan area with 1.4 million people. Hartford is only 17 square miles and is surrounded by a number of fiercely independent towns that serve as its suburbs. When you see statistics that show a Hartford has a lot of crime, you have to realize that unlike other cities that are much larger in area and include some very safe suburban areas, so those statistics are based on only the core urban area. That tends to skew the statistics higher because they are based on population. It really is not unlike the urban core of any other major city in this country.

As others have noted, I too know many people that work in Hartford and have never had a problem with crime. I also know a few people that live there too and they have not had issues either. I visit Hartford for entertainment (theater, concerts, museums, etc.) and I have not had any problems. Much of Hartfords crime us concentrated in a few neighborhoods. If you avoid them, you should have no problems.

Your budget should get you a modest apartment in a safe area in Hartford or one of its nearby suburbs. If you give us some more information on what type of area you would like to live in and where exactly your job will be, we can help steer you where to look. Jay

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Thanks for the replies, they're reassuring. The crime stats gave me some pause when I first saw them. I'm interviewing for a job with the school system, so I don't know where I'll end up working, but one of the bad parts of town is a definite possibility, so I just want to make sure Hartford is safe during the daytime hours when I'll be there.

Fingers crossed that the interview goes well. I'm so ready to return to the east coast!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Working in Hartford is fine. Living there is a different story. Like HumpDay, I would recommend the West End if you want to be in Hartford. Its safe enough but does have some minor property crime. Even better would be to look at the surrounding towns to see if there is anything in your budget, West Hartford in particular.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 35,782 times
I held a position in downtown Hartford that involved running around the bushnell area in the evenings in heels and a gown -- and also to visit several Hartford public elementary schools (including burns and milner), during the school day and after school in the early evenings. I also commuted on route 44, daytime and early evenings, and sometimes parked on the streets in the north end around schools.

I never had a problem. Even running through bushnell park in an evening gown at 10 pm on a Saturday night, little sparkly bag in tow.

It's a chill town compared to Chicago and NYC. Chill.

I will say that in the summertime you may need to keep your car windows closed when you stop at red lights on 44 -- some of the neighbors like to ask drivers for money, if your window is down. But, if you keep it closed they don't usually bother.

I'll add that the kids / parents / teachers / admins in the public elementary schools are a spirited group - in my experience very focused on building a positive environment and helping their children succeed. There are problems, sure, but I experienced a strong, friendly and child centered culture You'll find that people who have spent time inside hartfords schools see the positive and believe in the culture and the kids. People who have not spent time in the schools think they are the worst on the earth: unsafe and scary. The same goes for living in Hartford. Please consider the sources.

Last edited by Tompho; 04-10-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Hartford is mostly fine during the day. I worked in Hartford as an insurance appraiser for awhile. Like others said the north end is a little sketchier then the south but all in all I never had a problem. It was much worse in the 90's. Also I had a relative who was a teacher in a school in Hartford for several decades and never had an issue, other then some mouthy teenagers.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 AM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
I grew up outside of the city, went to college in Hartford for a couple of years and visit on business a few times each year. I like the city. It is small but has many amenities of a larger city. I mostly stay at hotels downtown and have been to virtually all of them. I walk to dinner and back to the hotel at night and have never felt unsafe nor been bothered. I usually eat at Front Street or Trumbull Street or near the train station.

I have lived in Chicago and Atlanta and DC. DC is far more dangerous but like most other places the crime is usually confined to a few bad neighborhoods.

There is one very odd thing about Hartford. Local folks love to hate on it. Say something nice and they will jump all over you. So you will hear some really awful stuff. But from my observations, it never approaches the terrible things that these people say. In fact, as a small walkable city, it's pretty nice.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
I grew up outside of the city, went to college in Hartford for a couple of years and visit on business a few times each year. I like the city. It is small but has many amenities of a larger city. I mostly stay at hotels downtown and have been to virtually all of them. I walk to dinner and back to the hotel at night and have never felt unsafe nor been bothered. I usually eat at Front Street or Trumbull Street or near the train station.

I have lived in Chicago and Atlanta and DC. DC is far more dangerous but like most other places the crime is usually confined to a few bad neighborhoods.

There is one very odd thing about Hartford. Local folks love to hate on it. Say something nice and they will jump all over you. So you will hear some really awful stuff. But from my observations, it never approaches the terrible things that these people say. In fact, as a small walkable city, it's pretty nice.
Yes we do love to hate on Hartford (and Bridgeport) I grew up in the suburbs around Hartford in the 80's everyone always seemed to hate on Hartford. Living 5 miles from downtown Hartford but no one ever went there except for work or events at the civic center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut