Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2move_CT View Post
Thank you! tremendously helpful. We actually toured Guilford/Madison briefly and were in fact taken with how nice it was but A little nervous about the sleepiness. And seemed to appeal to families. Which is great, but a couple years too soon Sounds like Branford might be a good target for us - Milford too. Thoughts on East Haven? I will have to get over the crime stigma associated with New haven because overwhelmingly people from the area only have the nicest things to say.
East Haven is cheap, but unless you're specifically looking for a cheap beach rental I would stick to other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:48 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Thank you! tremendously helpful. We actually toured Guilford/Madison briefly and were in fact taken with how nice it was but A little nervous about the sleepiness. And seemed to appeal to families. Which is great, but a couple years too soon Sounds like Branford might be a good target for us - Milford too. Thoughts on East Haven? I will have to get over the crime stigma associated with New haven because overwhelmingly people from the area only have the nicest things to say.
When I take out of towners to NHV, they are shocked it doesn't look like Camden or Flint. Instead it's a beautiful city (architecturally a gem) with a variety of neighborhoods. Some have their issues, but true to the usual situation in CT, they're isolated from the places you'd want to live/play. And overall, crime is way down since the recent peak in 2011.

The nice thing about Milford/Branford is you can have the quieter suburban feel and be within 15 minutes of NHV. Milford has the added benefit of being 15-20 away from Black Rock/Fairfield which has even more to offer, as well as the train to NYC.

That said, I think you'd be impressed with the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven and would definitely add it to your list.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,479 times
I have to agree with Milford as a great option! My husband and I (early 30s) moved to Milford a couple years ago and recently bought a house downtown. I am continually impressed by this town - the beaches are great, there are a bunch of of great restaurants downtown, so many town events/festivals, and importantly I feel very safe here. time2move, feel free to message me if you want to hear any more about the area

Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM

45 posts, read 50,532 times
i second fairfield in terms of things to do but even on its' best day; it's nothing like a major city. Milford also, cheaper than Fairfield but still quiet all things considered. CT is kinda known for the opposite of the hustle and bustle (which is great if you embrace the slower pace/higher QOL). For me, even though sleepiness would scare me a little; i'd rather be in a nice, quiet town (Madison/Guilford/Essex even) and uber to New Haven or something when I want to tie one on. New Haven is the coolest city in CT with a great food scene and very close to the towns mentioned.

Best of luck!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Thank you! tremendously helpful. We actually toured Guilford/Madison briefly and were in fact taken with how nice it was but A little nervous about the sleepiness. And seemed to appeal to families. Which is great, but a couple years too soon Sounds like Branford might be a good target for us - Milford too.

I am hoping to retire to either Branford, Guilford or Madison. I live in Fairfield County now. My husband and I go up to the area a lot and I have your same feeling on the sleepiness of Guilford and Madison. I am pretty sure we will probably end up in Branford. I also think Milford would be good for you too. I have cousins in Milford and they really like it.

I do have to say, go see the beaches in Madison. If you are a beach person Madison's beaches might change your mind.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:36 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,678 times
Default agree

Quote:
I think Branford, is your best bet having just gone through a transition to the area myself. It has everything including great access to beaches and boating. The rents are less especially if you rent a condo VS a house but look around there are a ton of options. Plus since it is near where all three area highways; 95. 91 and 15 converge it is easy to get around as well. Just FYI the Costco with everything; gas, liqour and all else is at exit 41 on the western side of New Haven on the Orange / Milford line. That area in Milford, has every possible shopping option / store anyone could want especially a young couple; REI just opened a huge new store there. Many people live in Branford so they can easily get to work in New Haven (YALE) or enjoy all fun stuff it has to offer.Also, like two weeks ago I saw an episode of a Real Estate show on Discovery Channel (don't know the name) that featured Branford and a young couple. You might want to track it down. Good Luck.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

That said, I think you'd be impressed with the East Rock neighborhood of New Haven and would definitely add it to your list.
Is that the area where Willow Street is? My cousin lived near Archie Moore's. If East Rock is that area I agree. I was in my late 20's early 30's when she lived there and we had a good time. I seem to remember we could walk to quite a few eateries and bars.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,321 times
Another Milford native here and it really is a great town (actually a city, but only by population). We have more coastline than any other town in CT, a nice downtown area with restaurants and bars and a huge mall. Tons of activities - sandcastle day, kite day, Oysterfest, etc. There are apartments near downtown where you could easily walk to shops, restaurants and train. But we are 20-30 minutes drive from Guilford and Hamden, depending where in those towns you are going. New Haven is probably much closer to what you are used to and much closer drive. While there are bad areas (like any city) there are great areas also. If you went by statistics, Chicago would probably seem unappealing also. New Haven also has a train into NYC - same line - and tons to do - restaurants and bars, museums and culture, outdoor hiking, just less beach but you do have Lighthouse Point. Good luck with your decision! It's a small state so even if you choose a sleepier town, not too far to drive into a city for nightlife.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Is that the area where Willow Street is? My cousin lived near Archie Moore's. If East Rock is that area I agree. I was in my late 20's early 30's when she lived there and we had a good time. I seem to remember we could walk to quite a few eateries and bars.
Yes, that is East Rock. Jay

Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM

752 posts, read 553,114 times
As I write this, I literally just stepped off the train from New Haven.

From Milford I take the train every day to New Haven for work, often stay for dinner or drinks with friends, and then come home. I very much enjoy the safety and security of Milford a suburb, and the convenience of a 15 minute train ride to New Haven. Milford offers a lot to do with beaches, family activities, shopping and organizations. Being on the train line, I often talk the 90 minute ride to NYC as well. (I used to have an office there-- Now I just go for fun!)

I find Milford really offers the best of all worlds and at an affordable price (by Connecticut standards). We have everything from $800 a month apartments to million dollar homes on the water.

Good luck and welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut