Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,307 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating moving from TX to work at the VHA in West Haven. I hate the cold, but this is a good opportunity for me, and the services for my kids are awful in TX. I'm hoping to find what options I will have, and where I should live. Here are my criteria:

- I have two kids, one with Autism and one with ADHD, so special education services, no-bullying tolerance, and excellent education are my TOP PRIORITY

- Salary range will be around 50K. I don't have many expenses other than a modest Jeep payment, and I'm perfectly content to live in a small rental

- I prefer a smaller town, don't mind a 20 - 30 minute commute, so long as I could drop the kids at school and still be at work by 8. Looking to get away from the big city concrete life, and give my kids exposure to the country

- LOW student:teacher ratio. I emphasize again that school quality is most important. I would rather live in a 600 sq ft rental in the best district than a 2000 sq ft rental in a lower quality district

- diet is a big part of my kids therapy, so some place with access to vegetables/fruit markets is ideal. We'd like to find a place where I could maintain a vegan type diet without being seen as "that weirdo from Austin and her kids" - since I'm sooo mainstream otherwise... lol.

Any ideas? I didn't know where to look, since i really don't know commute times. I have to have schools researched and an acceptable one located before I can commit to the job.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 18,275 times
Default Hi AnD

I live in West Haven and I'm familiar with the surrounding areas. If you are looking for something more country (West Haven is definately not country; we have 50k+ population in a tiny area) then you may want to look into Orange or Milford. I don't know how they are with Special Education though, but overall their systems are suppose to be better than West Haven's. JayCT gave me a great site for our search in Harwinton regarding school information. Here are the links for Orange, CT and Milford, CT. You probably want to stay West of New Haven, CT because of the horrendous traffic on I-95.

I certainly don't want to sell you on West Haven - I'm trying to get my family out of here but... we do have decent special education (from what I'm told) and we have a farmers market on the town green Spring-Summer. I don't know how bad things are in TX for you so you may also want to check it out just in case - West Haven, CT. I do know though that our elementary schools begin at 8:55 am so you'd probably need before-care for your sons, which is also something you may not have needed in TX.

Good luck in your search!

Michelle

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Milford is another great town- although it may be larger then you desire- it has 50K plus population. However schools are quite good, the town has an attractive town center with nice shops and other amenities, plus a nice shore front. The commute time to West Haven will be short.

Orange is a smaller high quality town also with great schools, and a more semi rural feel. And its also an easy commute to WH.

Another great town to consider is North Haven- schools are considered very good- and the town is smaller (under 30,000) Crime is very low- yet you are close to all what New Haven has to offer. Although the commute time may be about 35 minutes via I 91.

On average a 2 bedroom rental of 1000 square feet in a quality apartment will run from 1200-1500 dollars a month.

Being from Austin- I am sure you will have no problem feeling comfortable here. There are plenty of stores here that will cater to your food needs.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
You say you want to drop your kids off at school and be to work by 8:00 AM. I would then suggest you look to be very close to the VA hospital. I am not sure but most schools here start around 8:00 (some after that). Many schools offer a before school program so you will need to check into that too. I agree with the others that you should consider Milford. It is very nice small city with very good schools and a lot of family related activites. There is excellent shopping and entertainment there plus it is convenient to West Haven. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut