Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM

519 posts, read 582,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarcy View Post
Ok, Thank you JayCT,

Btw,
As we can see CT's economy is not in the best shape right now, and Dan Malloy in Hartford looks maybe is not doing his best job. Altho he is not running for 2018.

The Big companies are leaving, people are moving out, Tax is Hiking, de-funding on schools and teachers etc.
is kind worried me,
I'm not really sure, hope thing could get better in the future.

Would like your opinion, Is it still good to buy a house in CT?
especially expensive one in Westport?

Thanks,
Bin
Generally speaking when it comes to the future of any state you pick your poison. Nowhere is without challenges of growth, fiscal strain of pensions, poor infrastructure, etc. They just have more or less depending on which issues you burrow into at any one point in time.

At the end of the day we all pay our money and take our chances...

But to my mind it is very hard to envision Westport not being a very desirable place to live for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 8,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post
if you can't make the decision in less than two minutes than the house isn't for you. wait
Thanks for you advice, That's make sense for some case.

For my case I just would like to learn more info and ideas, no matter i buy it or not,
then decide along with my preference and experience.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Despite all the doom and gloom you see on the news and this forum, Connecticut is still a great place to live. The only big company that has left recently is GE which moved only 200 of the 800 corporate headquarter jobs out of Fairfield. Most of the rest were moved to Norwalk. I don't think this should necessarily play into your decision on whether to buy or not.

Also Stamford and Norwalk are still the home to thousands of jobs that are attracting people to live here. New York City is still a massive employment center and a lot of workers there live in Westport. Only you can decide if you should buy now or not. Jay
Hi, JayCT, that makes sense, thank you.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Generally speaking when it comes to the future of any state you pick your poison. Nowhere is without challenges of growth, fiscal strain of pensions, poor infrastructure, etc. They just have more or less depending on which issues you burrow into at any one point in time.

At the end of the day we all pay our money and take our chances...

But to my mind it is very hard to envision Westport not being a very desirable place to live for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.
Thank you, larsm

Old 04-27-2017, 05:31 PM

45 posts, read 50,536 times
Where are you living now and where are you comparing it to? Maybe we can better help you.

My opinion, if youre stretching at 850 and you don't love the house, move on. There will be others. UBS also left Stamford. Stamford office market is bleeding. The good thing about CT's struggling economy tho= it was never really booming. It kinda chugs a long at a snail's pace. I know a couple in Manchester that's house is worth the same thing from when they bought 30 years ago!!!

That said, you have to live somewhere and parts of CT are really wonderful. Just don't expect Bridgeport to become the next williamsburg anytime soon

Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Norwalk/Stamford doing okay, Downtown New Haven got little better

Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post
I know a couple in Manchester that's house is worth the same thing from when they bought 30 years ago!!! )
Uh... I highly doubt that. We bought our house 20 plus years ago and it is worth a lot more now than back then. Of course we live in a more desirable town but we paid a premium back then too. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut