Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 33,654 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We're considering a relocation to CT (office at Stamford, CT) and our main focus is to find a high ranking public school district in the area. Stamford public schools do not look good, so we are checking other districts around.

My son is in accelerated math and gifted programs, and he is currently in an exceptionally good school district in top 30 across the country.

I am checking the rankings in https://k12.niche.com and see Westport and New Canaan as the top choices. However, I just read Weston High School is the #1 in Newsweek's recent top high schools study in 2016.

What are your thoughts on Weston School District in comparison to Westport and New Canaan? I'm trying to get a good understanding on both academic and extracurricular activities in these schools.

Thank you!
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,981 times
you really can't go wrong with any of the schools. the differences are really splitting hairs in terms of student achievement.

That said, Weston is a small town of 10,000, while Westport has about 26,000 people and New Canaan around 20,000 - Weston will be a smaller school system. While that had advantages in terms of overall school size, students there likely have a bit less choice in terms of classes (fewer AP/advanced classes, world language, etc) and extra-curricular activities.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:13 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
you really can't go wrong with any of the schools. the differences are really splitting hairs in terms of student achievement.
This. You can throw Wilton, Darien and Ridgefield into the mix for consideration as well. Focus more on the feel of the town, housing costs, commute times etc. than the schools.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:15 PM

785 posts, read 823,584 times
Always follow the excellent schools when it comes to real estate.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:16 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Any of the schools in that area are very highly rated and there is not a huge difference. I wouldn't stress.

The biggest difference was mentioned above, Westport is a bigger school and therefore will have more extensive resources.

You can also consider Wilton, Redding/Easton, Darien, etc. Fairfield lags a little in test scores but it's still well above average and an excellent system, with a smidgen more diversity (economically and racially) which isn't a bad thing. But it's not a fun commute to Stamford, unless you can do a train commute.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebee View Post
Hi.

We're considering a relocation to CT (office at Stamford, CT) and our main focus is to find a high ranking public school district in the area. Stamford public schools do not look good, so we are checking other districts around.

My son is in accelerated math and gifted programs, and he is currently in an exceptionally good school district in top 30 across the country.

I am checking the rankings in https://k12.niche.com and see Westport and New Canaan as the top choices. However, I just read Weston High School is the #1 in Newsweek's recent top high schools study in 2016.

What are your thoughts on Weston School District in comparison to Westport and New Canaan? I'm trying to get a good understanding on both academic and extracurricular activities in these schools.

Thank you!
JB
As I have said here MANY times before, I do not trust or believe in the websites you are using for school recommendations. I have seen questionable rankings from these sites too often to feel they are creditable. That said, any of the schools you mention are excellent and will offer your child a top education. Though very good, I have not heard Weston High School ranked at the top before but Staples in Westport has and often. Still it comes down more to the type of community you feel more comfortable in rather than the actual high school. Weston is a small semi-rural community with little in the way of conveniences. You will have to travel to adjacent towns to do most of your regular shopping and for entertainment. Homes in Weston tend to be a larger more private lots so if you want that friendly neighborhood feel you might be better off considering another town.

New Canaan will give you the easiest access to Stamford. Traffic into and out of Stamford can be brutal during rush hours so it might be the better option for your own personal sanity. You also might want to consider neighboring Darien as well. It too has excellent schools and is a well regarded affluent coastal town. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Still Westport is hard to beat overall. The schools are excellent, it has a ton of shopping and entertainment options and it has a beautiful waterfront park and beaches for town residents to enjoy. Plus it is home to the nationally know Westport Country Playhouse which has wonderful theatrical productions. Hard to beat that. The only problem is that your commute would be a little more difficult. Jay

Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Though very good, I have not heard Weston High School ranked at the top before but Staples in Westport has and often.

Still Westport is hard to beat overall. The schools are excellent, it has a ton of shopping and entertainment options and it has a beautiful waterfront park and beaches for town residents to enjoy. Plus it is home to the nationally know Westport Country Playhouse which has wonderful theatrical productions. Hard to beat that. The only problem is that your commute would be a little more difficult. Jay
Spot on. And Westport to Stamford during rush hour will only take 25-30 min each way. From WP to Tarrytown it takes me 45-55 min during rush hour.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Spot on. And Westport to Stamford during rush hour will only take 25-30 min each way. From WP to Tarrytown it takes me 45-55 min during rush hour.
Takes me 25 mins from edge of Westport to Norwalk - 10 miles approx.
Neighbors take nearly 1 hour to Stamford, friends in norwalk to downtown stamford 40 mins to nearly 1 hour.
Is there a secret route we dont know about? Fill us in

Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,602 times
If working in Stamford I would say just go for the best school district within the shortest commute- Darien or New Canaan are your top choices. You will get slightly less house than in Westport or Weston but you can't beat the quality of life with a short commute and excellent schools.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Takes me 25 mins from edge of Westport to Norwalk - 10 miles approx.
Neighbors take nearly 1 hour to Stamford, friends in norwalk to downtown stamford 40 mins to nearly 1 hour.
Is there a secret route we dont know about? Fill us in
If on the Merritt before 715am it takes 25-30 min. I also drive 80-85mph.

Today I got on at 750 and it took 50 min to tarrytown. Not sure what youre doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut