Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a website that shows flight patterns around town of Fairfeld? I live up by Lake Mohegan and it seems like a constant stream of planes flying over between 8-9pm. It is not too loud but my son hears it at bedtime and often start talking about planes. I just wondered why it always seemed busy during that time. I don't hear much between 6-8. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
The app Flightradar24 will do it. It shows what exact flights are overhead at any given moment.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Airlines that fly into any of NYC's airports don't really fly over CT on final, unless they come from Europe but they are still quite high.

Airlines landing at Westchester County Airport do fly over Fairfield County as they are approaching the airport. At least the times I have flown into that airport (always coming back from Florida), once we cross over Long Island and Long Island Sound we enter CT near Bridgeport (the city is clearly visible and easily identifiable due to its downtown buildings). Then the airplane turn to the left somewhat inland and fly over towns such as Trumbull, Ridgefield, Wilton; New Canaan (many of the mansions and estates in this town look spectacular from the air), and Stamford. In North Stamford the plane makes another left turn and zips down the city (the view of downtown Stamford is amazing, in part because the airplane fly so low by this point.) Then once over Long Island Sound the plane makes a wide U turn towards the right and fly over Port Chester, and within a few minutes lands at Westchester County Airport, which is right on the border with Greenwich but in the NY side.

When the airplane enters CT, it probably does over Stratford or Milford and not Bridgeport itself (the city is clearly visible from the plane.) It's possible that some pilots might fly into CT over Bridgeport or even over Fairfield. Another possibility is that at those hours they probably change the flight plans to over Fairfield instead of over Stratford or Milford, but I have never flown into Westchester in the evenings or at night, so I can't say for sure that this is the case.

I know that there's a small airport in Stratford, but I don't think it receives much traffic. It could be, although I doubt it, that whatever traffic it does receives it's within those hours the OP mentioned, and the airplanes probably fly over Fairfield-Bridgeport prior to landing. This last part is mere speculation from my part.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-01-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Speak of the devil. Just last evening while at the neighborhood school/little league field game, a decent sized jet was traveling low overhead coming from the northeast heading out toward the Sound about 7:30ish. Assume it was going to White Plains since it was too low for JFK and LGA. Other than that never notice much else.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The app Flightradar24 will do it. It shows what exact flights are overhead at any given moment.
Mels,

Thanks for this. I look at it every night. Really awesome that you can actually see flight origination and destination. It even shows helicopters. On the down side, I never knew Fairfield was in the flight path of so many JFK outbounds to Europe as well as LGA to Boston and Northeast points. Planes are so high that sounds are muffled but still it is pretty constant at night.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:23 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Mels,

Thanks for this. I look at it every night. Really awesome that you can actually see flight origination and destination. It even shows helicopters. On the down side, I never knew Fairfield was in the flight path of so many JFK outbounds to Europe as well as LGA to Boston and Northeast points. Planes are so high that sounds are muffled but still it is pretty constant at night.
Keep in mind that all sorts of activities slow down or stop completely at night, including vehicular traffic. I live very far from Stamford's main railroad station and from any railroad tracks. During the day no one would know trains pass through Stamford, but late at night or very early in the morning I can actually hear the horns of the trains as they approach the railroad station. That's how low ambiance noise is at that time of the day.

Its not as if where I live is noisy, its actually quite tranquil and quiet. However, between my home and the train station is much of Stamford, including the more built up areas. I guess all the ambiance noise that's created in the inbetween areas is enough to muffle or completely eliminate/mask the sound waves eminating from the trains during the day, but at night they reach my ears very clearly if I happen to be in my yard or near an open window facing south when a train is approaching the train station.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Mels,

No problem! I tend to periodically get semi-noisy BDL flight traffic over my house. I like to see who is coming and going- it's a great app!

Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
High flying jets out of NYC and europe bound have been overhead in the area for centuries now. Nothing new. Thought this was referring to lower and noisier models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut