Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 girls View Post
We would prefer a subdivision type of area. What would your recommend in Tolland? We want min 2500 sq feet . Thanks for all your replies.
Subdivisions in Glastonbury IMHO are going to be more of the McMansion type homes. Tolland will contain more of what you would find in your typical "metro burb land."

Marlborough will be sparse on subdivisions.

Not sure where you are coming from but keep in mind we do not include basement or garage space in SF and generally most of our attic space is useable without HVAC systems being crammed up there. What I'm saying is, much smaller SF listings live as larger homes here. A 2500sf house in CT is actually pretty large compared to other places in the country. 2500sf in say Charlotte NC will get you a slab home with little storage space and no basement. You end up making the 2nd or 3rd bay in the garage your workshop and storage place and/or NEEDING the 4th bedroom for excersize equipment and whatnot.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Subdivisions in Glastonbury IMHO are going to be more of the McMansion type homes. Tolland will contain more of what you would find in your typical "metro burb land.
Sorry - I respectfully disagree, especially for the $500K price point in glastonbury will probably not get you into the McMansion type neighborhoods so I wouldn't worry about an overabundance of this when you start looking. Yes, there are plenty of these types of neighborhoods in glastonbury, but also many older subdivisions with nice homes in the $500K range. Look in the buttonball area, farmcliff road areas. Also, neighborhoods around the intersections of route 83 and routes 94 closer to the manchester side are all great areas to find older homes in established neighborhoods at the half million mark.

Last edited by Srib; 03-10-2008 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: quoted incorrectly

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Newer homes in Glastonbury will most likely (but not entirely) be a "McMansion" type home but they will not be in the $500k price range. There are some new homes in the north end being built in that price range and you will find a couple of new homes on in-fill lots for that amount. As Srib says though, there are a lot of wonderful older neighborhoods in that price range as well.

As for Tolland, I believe there are a couple of newer "subdivision" type neighborhoods in that price range. Tolland is more rural and would require travel for most major shopping needs. Jay

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
Sorry - I respectfully disagree, especially for the $500K price point in glastonbury will probably not get you into the McMansion type neighborhoods so I wouldn't worry about an overabundance of this when you start looking. Yes, there are plenty of these types of neighborhoods in glastonbury, but also many older subdivisions with nice homes in the $500K range. Look in the buttonball area, farmcliff road areas. Also, neighborhoods around the intersections of route 83 and routes 94 closer to the manchester side are all great areas to find older homes in established neighborhoods at the half million mark.
This is true, I did miss the price point and was just focused on "Subdivisions".

Going by what's in the rest of the country as a typical subdivision, most "typical" subdivisions in Gbury are the Mcmansion type IMO but as you said, they are over 500K.

The older neighborhoods don't really have that "subdivision" feel to them IMO. (And I find that's a positive personally!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut