Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 04:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my seven-year-old son loves Sea creatures. And I am thinking of taking him snorkeling, but I don't know if there are any good spots on the Connecticut coast. We live in Milford, is there any good snorkeling near Milford? Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,930 times
Honestly around here I would take a trip to Block Island or somewhere along the Rhode Island shoreline. Clearer water for that activity but the water is a little cooler.

The issue isn't that LIS is dirty but that the bottoms is not sandy and more muddy and soft with lots of mollusks and other detritus material.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,969 times
LIS would be ideal for snorkeling due to the calm and shallow nature, however with the murkiness you won't see much, maybe a horseshoe crab and some minnows but that's about it. 7 year olds don't care anyway, have fun.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I never associated CT with snorkeling. I think Florida is much better suited for that. I know taking a trip down there just to have your 7 year old snorkel can be a bit much, but combining the snorkeling with stints at Disney is a proposition I'm sure your kid will not object to. lol

Old 05-10-2017, 02:13 PM

21,731 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Looks like Charles Island could be an interesting spot. Watch out for the tides rushing in on the sand bar though. Calm days will obviously lead to better visibility. The Audubon area is pretty undisturbed. Woodmont Beach or Gulf Beach might be a good spot too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpcC52ngw0

Mount Tom in the New Milford area has really clear water for snorkeling. You just have to go when it's not busy as swimmers will kick up sand.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:35 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
I wouldn't discount lakes for snorkeling for that age. My kids did it and had a blast. Like Raider said -- kids don't care. If they have good company they will create their own games and have a good time. Up to teenage, I dont think location matters much to kids. If you brought Disney to Bridgeport kids wouldnt care one bit either.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Looks like Charles Island could be an interesting spot. Watch out for the tides rushing in on the sand bar though. Calm days will obviously lead to better visibility. The Audubon area is pretty undisturbed. Woodmont Beach or Gulf Beach might be a good spot too.
I would be a little cautious about the Milford Gulf area. Charles Island can have bad tidal currents and there have been drownings there. Even myself as a good swimmer would be hesitant to venture to far around those waters. There is an anchorage near the island on the leeward side that is a good swimming spot but that's about it.

You may look into the Thimble Islands area in Branford as well, but I still say BI has better spots for not traveling to far.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, RI (to the west across from Newport). It has coves that are popular for diving.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Fort Wetherill of Rhode Island, USA East

Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM

21,731 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I would be a little cautious about the Milford Gulf area. Charles Island can have bad tidal currents and there have been drownings there. Even myself as a good swimmer would be hesitant to venture to far around those waters. There is an anchorage near the island on the leeward side that is a good swimming spot but that's about it.

You may look into the Thimble Islands area in Branford as well, but I still say BI has better spots for not traveling to far.
So, near the sandbar there's some bad currents, what about on the opposite side? Should be ok?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:47 AM

The tumbolo that extends from the island can cause some interesting current patterns under the surface, my grandfathers brother drowned swimming to the island as a kid, never found him either.

The far side near buoy 16 may be a little better but it all depends on the the tide. Slack tide between high and low should be fine for a short bit but once the tide rolls in or out you can be swept farther into LIS or into the swirl around the island and into the gulf area. I'm sure fins and appropriate gear would help immensely, as I said where the anchorage is just inside the gulf behind the island off the beach it is pretty tranquil and people swim.

Just be careful as 16 is a marker for the LIS channel for larger ships navigating the sound and is a frequented fishing spot. I am just calling this from experience and sailing out of Milford for 20+ years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut