Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,049,819 times

Advertisements

A "housing boom" in Hartford - lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 PM

25 posts, read 32,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A "housing boom" in Hartford - lol.
My thoughts exactly. Not sure if that guy was being serious or not.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 PM

6,315 posts, read 11,036,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Genius View Post
If Hartford declares bankruptcy will it end up like Detroit?
I actually have been discussing this issue on the Detroit board. Getting some good feedback about what happened to Detroit and what has occurred in the aftermath of the bankruptcy. Detroit is apparently seeing a slow but steady climb back and the city's infrastructure has seen some rebuilding now that tax revenue is not being spent in other areas. Also, they've been able to hire some police as well.

The biggest problem Hartford faces right now is the fact that half of the city's properties apparently are tax exempt. That is insane. Unless that problems is resolved it will never be able to generate the tax revenue needed to sustain services and make it a viable city for attracting new business and home owners. The only way to get property taxes to stabilize is to get more properties paying tax revenue to the city. Exemptions only lead to higher taxes for the property tax strapped owners at this point.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:37 PM

6,315 posts, read 11,036,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Genius View Post
To me (and I'm sure a lot of people) that seems like such an obvious fix, to get those properties paying taxes again. It's mind boggling how a tax-obsessed state like Connecticut is having financial problems in Hartford because they're not taxing so many properties. What is the major malfunction here?

About Detroit, I too heard that they went through some very tough times after the bankruptcy and are now seeing a strong comeback. Hopefully Hartford could make a comeback if it declares bankruptcy. But the important thing is that they need to learn from their mistakes and not go right back to doing what they were doing.
Yup. I can't figure out how half of the properties are tax exempt. Are these properties occupied by non profit organizations? Or have some sweet deals been cut by businesses with the city to create this tax exempt status for decades? I know that many businesses will get a cut for a few years but then are back on the full tax roll. Wondering what is going on here?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,629,561 times
David R. Cameron: Hartford’s tax-exempt property owners need to help with its fiscal crisis

Interesting article from a year ago. It's a dirty move but probably has to happen. Can't believe a huge swath of property in Hartford is made up of universities, hospitals, State buildings, and multiculture centers. A voluntary tax is better than enforcing these places to pay taxes with the hit they are taking with budget cuts.

A more long term solution wondering if anyway to generate money by creating a housing boom. Then tax property via a land value tax and set up a tax to fund the school system. Protect the parks and make a walking/bike path around & In the City. Encourage retail growth as well. Improve transportation to and out of Hartford.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM

25 posts, read 32,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yup. I can't figure out how half of the properties are tax exempt. Are these properties occupied by non profit organizations? Or have some sweet deals been cut by businesses with the city to create this tax exempt status for decades? I know that many businesses will get a cut for a few years but then are back on the full tax roll. Wondering what is going on here?
Bad policies have played a key role in the city’s demise. Property taxes are particularly oppressive, in part because, at just 18 square miles, Hartford is a small city in terms of area. With many nonprofit and public buildings, its property tax base is smaller still. This is one reason why the city has a bifurcated property tax—commercial property owners pay more than residential property owners. The city’s mill rate—a measure of the amount of tax payable per dollar of assessed value of property—is Connecticut’s highest, and it’s not even close: Hartford’s rate is more than 25 percent higher than the next-highest rate, and it’s seven times higher than wealthy Greenwich’s, which has one of the lowest mill rates. Hartford gives some relief to residents by levying the tax on only 30 percent of a home’s value, while it taxes commercial property at 70 percent of the assessed value.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/th...ord-14440.html

Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM

21,615 posts, read 27,882,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Stamford city that works
New Haven is a rising star. Stamford became a star city years ago.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,922,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
All the state government buildings are tax-exempt. As the capitol, Hartford has a lot of them.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 AM

504 posts, read 382,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
All the state government buildings are tax-exempt. As the capitol, Hartford has a lot of them.
I thought the State gave the city some money for those tax exempt buildings? At least for the State office buildings?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,922,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
I thought the State gave the city some money for those tax exempt buildings? At least for the State office buildings?
They do under PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes). But the claim is that it never covers what the tax bill would be under private ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut