Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Is there such a thing as bad pizza? Jay
Not really a fan of Domino's, Papa Gino's or Costco Pizza. I know some people seem to love Costco pizza, but I've always found it too cheesy. Good price, though.

went to supposedly the most famous Deep Dish place in Chicago this past summer and liked that style of pizza, but didn't love it. Giordano's, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 AM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'm not a pizza connoisseur by any stretch by I've liked all 3 in NH. Pepe, Sally and Modern. No need to split hairs for me. Not surprised Coalhouse in Stamford dropped off. Its terrrible.
#17 on the list is Pizzaria Bianco out in Phoenix and I can tell you its the REAL deal. I'll put it up against the New Havens all day. Don't jugde by its west coast location.
Isn’t Bianco a whole different thing? It’s very well renowned but seems to be most about toppings.

Next Door deserves a spot on the list but it will take time. They’re currently my #2 after Sally’s. Consistent (which is something Pepe’s and Modern have disappointed me in lately) and really really good.

I also like Da Legna and Nolo, same owners.

There’s also a great newcomer on Wooster Street, Zeneli. Traditional Naples style.

There’s no beating New Haven as a pizza city. I would give Brooklyn #2

Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not really a fan of Domino's, Papa Gino's or Costco Pizza. I know some people seem to love Costco pizza, but I've always found it too cheesy. Good price, though.

went to supposedly the most famous Deep Dish place in Chicago this past summer and liked that style of pizza, but didn't love it. Giordano's, I believe.
LOL. I am not crazy about those pizzas either. If you like deep dish pizza, you might want to try Vito’s in Wethersfield (not sure if all their locations offer it). So good. Jay

Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Isn’t Bianco a whole different thing? It’s very well renowned but seems to be most about toppings.
I don't know, Pizza is not an area of expertise for me admittedly. Frankly, I think most of it is processed junk food and I don't like any of them in Fairfield County.

This place Bianco used very high quality fresh from scratch ingredients. The sauce was outstanding and they are all personal sized. Apparently, and surprisingly, they say the water quality there is conducive to making good dough. Again, I'm not an expert, just what I was told. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I don't know, Pizza is not an area of expertise for me admittedly. Frankly, I think most of it is processed junk food and I don't like any of them in Fairfield County.

This place Bianco used very high quality fresh from scratch ingredients. The sauce was outstanding and they are all personal sized. Apparently, and surprisingly, they say the water quality there is conducive to making good dough. Again, I'm not an expert, just what I was told. Don't shoot the messenger.
I know it’s considered really good so not hating at all! It’s supposed to be the best in the West.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:05 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Frank Pepe’s has been named the best pizza in the country for the third year in a row. Sally’s came in No. 7 and Modern ranks No. 20. Colony Grill, which I don’t care for, ranks No. 44. Rounding out the list are Zuppardi’s at No. 46 and Roseland at No. 51. Gone from the list this year is Bar, Coalhouse and Ernies.

I’ve seen other rankings that rate Sally’s highest. Some have Modern. I know we debated this before but couldn’t find the thread. What do you think? Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/newhav...including-king

It's funny, though I am far more used to NY style pizza, I like both styles equally. My son who has only known NY style pizza went with a friend who is from New Haven on a visit there and has fallen in love with their pizza.

But the really funny thing is when Pepe's opened a branch in Yonkers, NY a few years ago, essentially just north of the Bronx; most of the locals (including my own family other than my son who has not gone there with us) found their pizza awful and laughed at it (whether it's just a "NY superiority complex" or just "not being used" to that style pizza I don't know ), yet any time I am in that area and drive by there around dinnertime they have a line out the door.....

Old 10-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It's funny, though I am far more used to NY style pizza, I like both styles equally. My son who has only known NY style pizza went with a friend who is from New Haven on a visit there and has fallen in love with their pizza.

But the really funny thing is when Pepe's opened a branch in Yonkers, NY a few years ago, essentially just north of the Bronx; most of the locals (including my own family other than my son who has not gone there with us) found their pizza awful and laughed at it (whether it's just a "NY superiority complex" or just "not being used" to that style pizza I don't know ), yet any time I am in that area and drive by there around dinnertime they have a line out the door.....
Some of my NY relatives/friends never want to admit New Haven pizza is as good or better than the best NY pizza. It's a pride thing. They've been told their whole life NY pizza is the best and scoff at any other state claiming fame.

That said, if Yonkers is anything like the other Pepe's, it's just not as good as the original. And I know this is sacrilege, but I've felt the original has been inconsistent lately too. Still great, not always amazing.

That's why I stick to Sally's, Next Door, Modern these days.

Btw, an NYC legend that franchised was Grimaldi's. I went to the one in Woodbridge. Not good. Way worse than any Pepe's franchise. Would probably be impressive to someone where good pizza doesn't exist, but can't hang around here.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:19 AM

107 posts, read 57,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Some of my NY relatives/friends never want to admit New Haven pizza is as good or better than the best NY pizza. It's a pride thing. They've been told their whole life NY pizza is the best and scoff at any other state claiming fame.

That said, if Yonkers is anything like the other Pepe's, it's just not as good as the original. And I know this is sacrilege, but I've felt the original has been inconsistent lately too. Still great, not always amazing.

That's why I stick to Sally's, Next Door, Modern these days.

Btw, an NYC legend that franchised was Grimaldi's. I went to the one in Woodbridge. Not good. Way worse than any Pepe's franchise. Would probably be impressive to someone where good pizza doesn't exist, but can't hang around here.
I'm with you on Pepe's being inconsistent lately. We order pizza every couple of weeks and typically rotate between Pepe's and Modern, but Pepe's has been hit-or-miss for what feels like the last year. The crust has been thicker than normal and the pizzas are often under-cooked with some toppings bordering on raw. I'm not sure if they're going through a transition period with new staff or what but something has been off. As a result we've been frequenting Modern more and more.

I've seen you hyping Next Door a few times. I drive past it every time I do to Modern and have been meaning to try it - I'll have to suggest it the next time my wife is in the mood for Pizza.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
I'll take NYC or New Haven style pizza over anything that is available here in Boston. There is a Pepe's in Chestnut Hill that serves as my go-to. Despite not being the original, I'll take that over the stuff that they sell in Boston. Pino's in Brighton, MA is also NY style, yet still not the same.

I can't wait to be back in town to have those clam pie, hot oil slices.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 PM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
There are just lots of hype in NYC. I tried famous Dumbo pizza just right down the Brooklyn Bridge years ago because some one wrote article how great and awesome dumbo pizza is. Now my conclusion is that, yes , that was good and location view is nice in Dumbo. But there is no comparison to New Haven pizza. New Haven pizza is famous and best in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut